DVDVR Message Board

Who's winning the TBS title?

S.K.o.S.

How does the finals of the TBS tournament play out?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How does the finals of the TBS tournament play out?

• Rosa over Nyla
    • Rosa over Ruby
    • Jade over Nyla
    • Jade over Ruby
    • Nyla over Rosa
    • Nyla over Jade
    • Ruby over Rosa
    • Ruby over Jade

Same, I like Jade but I don't think she's quite ready and a setback via defeat from a veteran like Rosa would do her well storyline wise too, make her earn things a bit more. 

Rosa / Ruby in the final would be a call-back to the battle royal too and a Rosa run would keep her away from DMD for longer, unless they want to do battle of the belts. 

It almost seems too obvious that Jade's going to win the whole thing though? AEW doesn't really do the obvious much?

Also, it's great that we can have a discussion like this, which 4 talented women wrestlers do we want to win, and it doesn't seem out of place at all.

Edited by Leonidas
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I don't think any of the four remaining women are completely out of the question to win the title.

I can't see Nyla winning it.

A month ago I would have voted for Rosa over Nyla in the finals, but since then there've been hints they're going to go back to Rosa vs Baker sooner than I expected, which gives me pause.

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 1

If the point of the TBS title is to mirror the TNT title, in terms of being the fighting champion’s belt, then I don’t see how it can be Jade right now. They very rarely let her wrestle anything more than a squash on live TV, preferring to keep her protected behind the edit bay. Can’t see her suddenly being asked to shoulder a workload/expectations like that.

• Like 1

Nyla doesn't need the title. The title doesn't need Nyla. It'd be fine but a waste considering the rest of the field.

Jade is simply not ready. I fully believe that they could come up with a heavily choreographed match with Ruby or Rosa in front of a willing crowd that would protect Jade and make her look like a champion, but then what? You can't replicate that on the level the title would need to be defended and Jade would end up exposed. Protect her. Use her as an attraction. Let her continue to learn and continue to get matches on Dark and Elevation and maybe some indies. Have her work with people like Emi and Deeb in tags or just training. Let the investment pay off in a year instead of squandering it now.

So that leaves Rosa and Ruby and honestly, there's no wrong answer. Britt's not nearly ready to lose her title and it'd be good to have a face in the role taking on all challengers. Ruby feels more like a star (which may be temporary because of her theme and her newness and she could get exposed a little over time). Rosa feels more like a force in the promotion. My gut says that if Ruby has it, her working big matches every couple of weeks will elevate her game. Rosa is sort of already there. I think Rosa makes a better tweener who can take on babyface challengers with some edge and fury as well.

So not covering new ground here. Rosa makes for better matches and is a fine choice. Ruby might be the better business choice and might help develop Ruby into the very best she can be.

Regardless, I'd still make HEAVY use of the Forbidden Door to bring in people who are either cut but you don't necessarily want to sign for one reason or another (someone like a Mercedes Martinez) or people on the rise (your Megan Baynes) for a one shot challenge along with letting people like Emi or Diamante or Velvet get a shot.

• Like 6

Unless they really want to go all the way with Jade squashing everyone, then it’s probably a Rosa/Ruby final.  Nyla has already been women’s champ so I figure she’s just there as an obstacle.  So with Ruby in the finals, I think she’s an above average worker but not at the level to carry Jade to the type of match a title tournament final needs.  So that leaves Rosa/Ruby, which would be pretty damn good.  

As I mentioned in another thread, Rosa (or Ruby if you really really want Jade to get to the final) beating Jade, and Jade realizing that it’s time to train more to get to the next level, is a good angle.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

I feel like Ruby is the one that most needs a signature accomplishment in AEW, and first TBS champ sounds like it. Jade will have a big run down the line, Nyla has already been there and is basically in the Kane role, and Thunder Rosa has a date with Britt Baker soon. Ruby gets a big moment and seems to be the best fit for the "weekly/bi-weekly workhorse" role. Right place right time for Ruby.

• Like 3

Rosa is my favourite by far, but I don't want her to win this, I want her to beat Britt for the Women's title. I think Ruby beats Jade in the final, they clearly wanted to roll out the red carpet for her when she debuted, but couldn't have her go straight over the champ. If she wins this, it sends a strong message to any of WWE's female talent with a contract coming up, which presumably they want to do as it's the one area where the competition currently has one over them.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, hobo joe said:

The finals will be Ruby handing Jade her first loss. I am 100% confident in this.

Rosa will be the one to dethrone Britt, and her loss to Jade in the semis will set Jade up as a title contender in the future.

This is where I've been leaning too, was just conflicted on the winner between Ruby and Jade. Was feeling like a Jade win but wanting a Ruby win. I'm going Ruby. 

21 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Unless they really want to go all the way with Jade squashing everyone, then it’s probably a Rosa/Ruby final. 

I'm looking for Jade to beat Rosa partially due to Britt fuckery.

• Like 3

Everyone I expected to win this (Shida (thought they'd give her a run as a partial reward for carrying the belt with no fans); Hayter (have the DDS Family carry all the belts); and Statlander (Thought they had her aimed for a women's title run before her injury)) have all lost out, but I still feel confident with the way things have been going that Ruby gets the title with a roll-up or flash pin over Cargill.

I fear that Jade is the one in most need of validation.  All she has is her streak and once she loses her first match, she's no longer special.

I am in favor of her winning the tbs title because defending it will keep her out of the AEW Womens World Title picture for a while.  I will grudgingly admit that she's gotten better since her debut, but she's still got a long way to go.  Being a heel champ working with experienced babyfaces who can drag her over the finish line will help her in the long run.

I feel that at some point they will reward Red Velvet for all of her hard work putting Jade over all those times with the honor of handing Jade her first loss.  Like half of Jade's win streak consists of victories over Red Velvet.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

I fear that Jade is the one in most need of validation.  All she has is her streak and once she loses her first match, she's no longer special.

I am in favor of her winning the tbs title because defending it will keep her out of the AEW Womens World Title picture for a while.  I will grudgingly admit that she's gotten better since her debut, but she's still got a long way to go.  Being a heel champ working with experienced babyfaces who can drag her over the finish line will help her in the long run.

I feel that at some point they will reward Red Velvet for all of her hard work putting Jade over all those times with the honor of handing Jade her first loss.  Like half of Jade's win streak consists of victories over Red Velvet.

They need to find a way for Jade to work longer matches with veterans because they obviously have something special with her and she's only going to progress so much doing squashes. This is where a house show loop would come in handy, but maybe have her work longer matches in Mission Pro?

• Like 2