DVDVR Message Board

DAY 1 - 1/1/2022

Dolfan in NYC

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

At least Big E promoted for a few months as much as he could on FOX's college football broadcasts, doing intros to Wilder/Fury, etc... That is far more than a lot of other folks when they are champ.

True, but he was just a guy holding the belt within the WWE Universe. Not his fault at all. He was a great representative of the company. Not saying the ship has sailed on him because he could still be in the title picture and could end up getting a better run in the future. I heard recently that they originally planned for Cena to put him over at some point.  I hear they are really close so I don't understand why they didn't just do him vs Cena at Summerslam last year instead of Roman. It would have gave him more steam when he did finally win the title.

• Like 1

Supposedly, Fox accidentally sent a tweet with Big E winning the title match that was created before Brock was added to the match. And then quickly deleted it, but the screen grabs are floating around.

Edited by odessasteps

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Supposedly, Fox accidentally sent a tweet with Big E winning the title match that was created before Brock was added to the match. 

Well now I know you have me on ignore

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Kofi Kingston got jobbed in like 9 seconds and treated like a jobber. The only other time he sniffed the world title again, it was an extended squash to Bobby Lashley in a midcard world title match. Never got a rematch. I suppose Big E has a better chance of getting one due to his look and size, but yeah, WWE never truly treated Big E as the face of the company. It was and still is Roman Reigns or Lesnar. 

I totally agree with this assessment and it's exactly why... THERE SHOULDN'T BE TWO WORLD TITLES. Merge them shits. Make the man THE MAN. So if and when someone new gets built up and beats the champ, it means something. Then they are serious about giving them a run. With a second world title it's basically them being all about saying they care about / push all these talents that are never actually pushed or cared about. If there's one top title and Kofi gets a run with it, they are going to treat it better than Kofi getting a run with the midcard secondary world title. A secondary world title is token title. Oh you guys like Kofi, & Big E, & Ziggler (2010s), & Bryan (2010s), & Mark Henry, & Bray Wyatt (cult leader version) & Rey Mysterio? Cool we will give them "world title runs" so you think we are giving you what you want.

But all the while we are going to keep the superman paradigm we've always had and only actually care about one or two guys that we hand pick. Cena. Lesnar. Orton. Roman. That's it. Those are the only REAL champions is WWE's eyes over the last 10 years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I totally agree with this assessment and it's exactly why... THERE SHOULDN'T BE TWO WORLD TITLES. Merge them shits. Make the man THE MAN. So if and when someone new gets built up and beats the champ, it means something. Then they are serious about giving them a run. With a second world title it's basically them being all about saying they care about / push all these talents that are never actually pushed or cared about. If there's one top title and Kofi gets a run with it, they are going to treat it better than Kofi getting a run with the midcard secondary world title. A secondary world title is token title. Oh you guys like Kofi, & Big E, & Ziggler (2010s), & Bryan (2010s), & Mark Henry, & Bray Wyatt (cult leader version) & Rey Mysterio? Cool we will give them "world title runs" so you think we are giving you what you want.

But all the while we are going to keep the superman paradigm we've always had and only actually care about one or two guys that we hand pick. Cena. Lesnar. Orton. Roman. That's it. Those are the only REAL champions is WWE's eyes over the last 10 years.

Preaching to the choir there. Basically the main world title is whichever one Roman Reigns or Brock Lesnar has at any given time. Having two separate rosters and two world champions basically just means an extra midcard title. 

The brand extension fundamentally doesn't work and never has. It's still Vince's show, and Vince still deciding the main guys he should push. They aren't competing with themselves.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Wrong. 

Reveal hidden contents

Royal-Rumble-4.jpg?ssl=1

No way. He was a full on transitional champ so Roman had someone to conquer at Mania that wouldn't split the crowd. This run was treated equal to Slaughter's run leading up to Hogan's WM7 win. And the real main event of WM32 was Cena's run in to help The Rock in Vince's eyes anyways. Once in a lifetime brother, part 3.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

It's true we have creative bookers here more than the actual bookers. I like Reigns and Lynch. Brock bores me with the Suplex City format but I'd still watch him over Charlotte. Charlotte's one of my least favourites to watch. Losing to her damages people, biggest example is Rhea Ripley at WrestleMania XXXVI. Asuka shouldn't have lost her undefeated streak to her at WrestleMania XXXIV either.

I love pizza, but I don’t want it for every meal…

It's a shame Big E couldn't hold the title till at least the royal rumble. But as we've discussed all ready, the WWE doesn't want exciting things to happen. They want things to be status quo.

I think the crowd was ready for Liv Morgan to win. They were begging for something different to happen. I sure was.

17 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Bruno

Hogan

Austin

Cena

this is what the WWE has basically always been: Superman crushing a bunch of geeks that are still dumb enough to empty the chamber into his chest in vain and then throw the gun at him.

The difference, though, is (unless I'm misinformed) at least three of the four names Drew listed are currently heels. (I have no idea what Brock is.) Superman constantly crushing assholes who deserve it is cathartic and fun. Unbeatable heels constantly crushing the people the crowd wants to see win is something else entirely.

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

So...time to dust off Goldberg for Royal Rumble?

Do you mean to be the challenger at Royal Rumble or in the RR and winning it?

Only reason I ask is because Goldberg (who has repeatedly said this himself) only has one match left on his deal. Clearly - they could sign him to another one but he seemed to imply it would take them increase his pay (and funnily enough the one match he seemed really open to was the one against Big E)

Sad walking away music, Incredible Hulk, etc etc etc.

I'd love to know what the original finish was supposed to be, and why they had to change it to Brock winning and presumably blowing up whatever plans they had for E's title. 

• Sad 1

Well, I think the one match that would have been Mania level/quality - with no turns involved - was E vs. Kofi vs. Woods for the title.  Long term storyline, never happened before, never happen again, etc. etc.  (E/Goldberg with E sending Bill into retirement would also have been okay.)

I'm sure we would've ended up with E vs. Drew McIntyre again or some dumb shit, but a guy can dream. 

22 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I think the crowd was ready for Liv Morgan to win. They were begging for something different to happen. I sure was.

I haven't been watching the TV week to week but I listen to F4W on YouTube and keep up through them. I didn't expect Liv to win at all but it was the match of the night.  Becky is really really good but I felt like needed to see her deliver with someone that isn't one of the horsewomen and she did here. Morgan has always been very good too but this was her chance to really show it and she did. I'd like Liv to get her moment, but I also would like Bianca to get her Redemption for that debacle at Summerslam so it'll be interesting where they go as far as WrestleMania or Royal Ramble.

I heard they are likely Unifiying the WWE World title and Universal Title. I wonder if they are considering the same for the Women's division. I think they've done pretty well with both singles titles as far as value. The woman's tag titles I lost track of since Sasha and Bayley had them lol

6 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I haven't been watching the TV week to week but I listen to F4W on YouTube and keep up through them. I didn't expect Liv to win at all but it was the match of the night.  Becky is really really good but I felt like needed to see her deliver with someone that isn't one of the horsewomen and she did here. Morgan has always been very good too but this was her chance to really show it and she did. I'd like Liv to get her moment, but I also would like Bianca to get her Redemption for that debacle at Summerslam so it'll be interesting where they go as far as WrestleMania or Royal Ramble.

I heard they are likely Unifiying the WWE World title and Universal Title. I wonder if they are considering the same for the Women's division. I think they've done pretty well with both singles titles as far as value. The woman's tag titles I lost track of since Sasha and Bayley had them lol

Sasha Banks/Bayley's two reigns as WWE Women's Tag Team Champions were the highpoint of the Belts history, particularly the 2020 reign. I also liked Kabuki Warriors reign. Since then it's gone to Shayna Bazler/Tamina, Rhea Ripley/Nikki Ash and now Carmella/Queen Zelina.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:55 PM, Raziel said:

So, do we get Brock to beat Woods for his crown to complete the trifecta, or will Woods get a token title reign first?

un-retire the big gold "World Heavyweight Championship", crown Woods, and let Brock squash him. then Brock's won all 3 of the big titles, and beat each member of New Day for a title reign (unfortunately not a different title for each member, that would be pretty cool).