DVDVR Message Board

DAY 1 - 1/1/2022

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I’d have Big E win the Rumble and choose Roman and The Universal Championship. Have Big E go over to Smackdown reunite with The New Day and feud with The Bloodline and at Mania I’d have Big E beat Roman.

Then I’d have Lashley win the Elimination Chamber for the shot against Brock and run Brock vs Lashley with Lashley going over.

Those would be solid main events for the two nights Big E vs Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar vs Bobby Lashley.

I'd rather see those main events than Lesnar/Reigns. The only memorable Lesnar/Reigns match was at WrestleMania XXXI at *****, the rest never came close. 

35 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I’d have Big E win the Rumble and choose Roman and The Universal Championship. Have Big E go over to Smackdown reunite with The New Day and feud with The Bloodline and at Mania I’d have Big E beat Roman.

Then I’d have Lashley win the Elimination Chamber for the shot against Brock and run Brock vs Lashley with Lashley going over.

Those would be solid main events for the two nights Big E vs Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar vs Bobby Lashley.

Those are both really good idea.

Which means there's about a 0% chance of it actually working out that way.

58 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

So... What was the plan if Roman was healthy? Was Lesnar beating Reigns? Was Big E dropping the title to someone else?

This is where I start wondering if the Roman news wasn't all a work to get them out of a tight spot...

45 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Yeah, I would like to know what the plan was before Roman wound up having to sit this one out. I didn't think there was any way they were going to have Lesnar go over Reigns at a non-Big 4 PPV, so I'm not sure what they were going to do unless it was going to be some sort of lame DQ finish or something.

But now Brock is the champ and if this leads to Lesnar/Lashley at the Rumble or at Wrestlemania I'm all for it.

Roman Reigns retains the WWE Universal Championship with a swerve turn by Paul Heyman making Brock Lesnar look dumb for not catching on.

Sucks Big E lost the WWE Championship after four months. What I failed to mention making it even worse, Big E was pinned in a multi man match. Seth Rollins or Kevin Owens were there but it was still Big E. Damn.

Y'all know I avoid choosing violence at all cost on this site, but I've had a few Silver Bullets tonight, so I'm gonna say this.

Some of y'all have laid out some truly wonderful ideas for how 2022 could go. Some great notions and storylines and whatnot. Here's the problem; WWE has no plan outside of "Becky Roman Lesnar Charlotte." That's all there is. Rinse and repeat. They won't get behind anyone else because they don't have to .There is no plan to re-elevate Big E or Lashley or Liv or Bianca Belair or Rhea or anyone. Just the four albatrosses of WWE.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, just drew said:

Y'all know I avoid choosing violence at all cost on this site, but I've had a few Silver Bullets tonight, so I'm gonna say this.

Some of y'all have laid out some truly wonderful ideas for how 2022 could go. Some great notions and storylines and whatnot. Here's the problem; WWE has no plan outside of "Becky Roman Lesnar Charlotte." That's all there is. Rinse and repeat. They won't get behind anyone else because they don't have to .There is no plan to re-elevate Big E or Lashley or Liv or Bianca Belair or Rhea or anyone. Just the four albatrosses of WWE.  

It's true we have creative bookers here more than the actual bookers. I like Reigns and Lynch. Brock bores me with the Suplex City format but I'd still watch him over Charlotte. Charlotte's one of my least favourites to watch. Losing to her damages people, biggest example is Rhea Ripley at WrestleMania XXXVI. Asuka shouldn't have lost her undefeated streak to her at WrestleMania XXXIV either.

• Like 1

Here’s my Brock rant

why does Brock always have to be booked as far superior to the rest of the roster? I understand the idea of booking someone super strange to have somebody their building up beat that super strongly booked person but when is that gonna happen? They could have booked this match 100 different ways plus it was only 8 minutes. I didn’t dislike this match it was fun until the ending. If they don’t book Lashley vs Brock after this match they are dumb the crowd was eating their interactions up. I don’t like that Big E took the jump they could’ve had Lashley spear Lesnar Big E runs in and hits a standing drop kick or something on Lashley then hit the Big Ending on Brock 1-2-3 and Big E is the Top Dog. That crowd would have lost it had Big E pinned Brock. It made everyone look weak and stupid when Brock unleashed at the end and won. It’s so predictable. Who wants to see Brock as Champ again?

• Like 3

At the end of the day, Brock is a real star (both in their eyes and, let’s be honest, to the general WWE fan) over the other guys and thus treated as such. 

When Wrestlemania season starts this always happens. The real stars get pushed and the midcarders go back into the midcard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Bruno

Hogan

Austin

Cena

this is what the WWE has basically always been: Superman crushing a bunch of geeks that are still dumb enough to empty the chamber into his chest in vain and then throw the gun at him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Here’s my Brock rant

why does Brock always have to be booked as far superior to the rest of the roster? I understand the idea of booking someone super strange to have somebody their building up beat that super strongly booked person but when is that gonna happen? They could have booked this match 100 different ways plus it was only 8 minutes. I didn’t dislike this match it was fun until the ending. If they don’t book Lashley vs Brock after this match they are dumb the crowd was eating their interactions up. I don’t like that Big E took the jump they could’ve had Lashley spear Lesnar Big E runs in and hits a standing drop kick or something on Lashley then hit the Big Ending on Brock 1-2-3 and Big E is the Top Dog. That crowd would have lost it had Big E pinned Brock. It made everyone look weak and stupid when Brock unleashed at the end and won. It’s so predictable. Who wants to see Brock as Champ again?

Honest answer? USA/NBC Universal and WWE shareholders. Because from the looks of it, he and Roman are the only two ratings movers WWE currently have. And FOX isn't letting go of Roman. I'm pretty sure that Vince/Nick Khan will begin talks later this year for new TV deals for 2024. So drive up the stock/value now going into WM with Brock as one of your big champs.

• Like 2

Again, all this talk of "Boost ratings by having both Roman and Brock as champs" is fine... But what if Roman didn't get COVID?

It just doesn't make ANY sense to me to not only add Brock to this match, but for him to win it.

Drew McIntyre is reportedly suffering from legitimate neck issues that caused him to be written out during tonight’s Day 1 event.

PWInsider is reporting that McIntyre has been dealing with neck issues that require him to undergo medical testing. The hope is that this will only cause McIntyre to be gone for a short amount of time, but PWInsider’s source said that it’s “up in the air” until McIntyre is checked out. They also reported that McIntyre was wearing a neck brace when he left the pay-per-view tonight.

McIntyre defeated Madcap Moss on tonight’s show. Later, he was being interviewed in a backstage segment when Happy Corbin and Moss jumped him. They placed a chair over his neck as Corbin grabbed a piece of stage equipment nearby and slammed it into the chair, injuring McIntyre’s neck.

In the last week, McIntyre worked the SmackDown brand house shows, working multiple times on a single show.

That sucks. Drew McIntyre is one of the few WWE bright spots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

When Wrestlemania season starts this always happens. The real stars get pushed and the midcarders go back into the midcard.

To Webb Conns Point, I have no problem with Brock winning either but I feel like they didn't even try to get Big E over as Champ. I felt that way about every World/Universal Champ not named Roman ,Brock or Seth in the path 4 years. Big E winning seemed like a big Moment the crowd popped for but that was it. Same for Lashley winning, great moment even the angle leading to his win has great TV but it seemed like that was it. Bray Wyatt atleast during his first win he was settled with alot of Papa Shango esq stuff that killed everyone else but atleast they tried to get him over and the same with Drew until the pandemic happened and the audience was gone. Everyone from Kofi Kingston to Big E recently especially on the Raw side fail to get over, not necessarily for the lack of effort on their part. Big E's IC title win last year wasn't than a nice little rating on Smackdown at the time? The crowd was wanting it.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

WWE never saw Kofi Kingston or Big E as true champions and main eventers and never will. 

50 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

To Webb Conns Point, I have no problem with Brock winning either but I feel like they didn't even try to get Big E over as Champ. I felt that way about every World/Universal Champ not named Roman ,Brock or Seth in the path 4 years. Big E winning seemed like a big Moment the crowd popped for but that was it. Same for Lashley winning, great moment even the angle leading to his win has great TV but it seemed like that was it. Bray Wyatt atleast during his first win he was settled with alot of Papa Shango esq stuff that killed everyone else but atleast they tried to get him over and the same with Drew until the pandemic happened and the audience was gone. Everyone from Kofi Kingston to Big E recently especially on the Raw side fail to get over, not necessarily for the lack of effort on their part. Big E's IC title win last year wasn't than a nice little rating on Smackdown at the time? The crowd was wanting it.

Adding to the above:

People were wanting a Big E world championship run for years. In the end, he held it for four months and dropped the belt in a multi man match when he was pinned. Not Rollins or Owens, Big E. Fuck.

Edited by The Natural

Kofi Kingston got jobbed in like 9 seconds and treated like a jobber. The only other time he sniffed the world title again, it was an extended squash to Bobby Lashley in a midcard world title match. Never got a rematch. I suppose Big E has a better chance of getting one due to his look and size, but yeah, WWE never truly treated Big E as the face of the company. It was and still is Roman Reigns or Lesnar. 

Edited by TheVileOne

34 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Kofi Kingston got jobbed in like 9 seconds and treated like a jobber. The only other time he sniffed the world title again, it was an extended squash to Bobby Lashley in a midcard world title match. Never got a rematch. 

Regardless of how he lost, Outside of his actual title Win which is one of the most incredible moments ever. Nothing in between that is meaningful, I feel the same for E and a few others. Having the title isn't enough if your aren't booked meaningfully.

I am not sure if this is mentioned in the WON audio yet as I haven't gotten a chance to listen yet but

Reportedly the original plan was for Big E to retain the title. Much of this is passed on the WWE of FOX twitter account tweeted the "wrong" image that they quickly deleted that indicated Big E won (since the text looks like the original text which doesn't include Brock)

UqInRi1.png

Obviously there are a million ways to go from here through Mania so I wouldn't necessarily immediately jump to the WWE hates Big E.

That being said - Meltzer only just this week in the WON was talking about how he believed Rollins was winning since he said the whole reason to move Rollins to RAW was to put the title on him at some point sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

WWE never truly treated Big E as the face of the company. It was and still is Roman Reigns or Lesnar. 

The face of the company too many is still John Cena. Fuck - there are plenty were it is still Hulk Hogan

At least Big E promoted for a few months as much as he could on FOX's college football broadcasts, doing intros to Wilder/Fury, etc... That is far more than a lot of other folks when they are champ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1