DVDVR Message Board

Rampage 12/3/21

Technico Support

I dunno about sweating, but I am sure he has his Tableau guys and gals looking at things pretty close.

I understand Meltzer isn't buying the West Coast thing, but I think it may have made a big difference. They also haven't recovered from being pre-empted, but that's a problem they won't have to face again right?

In the end, they get to 'relaunch' on TBS and I think they will load these shows. I think creative has mistepped a little recently...Whilst it may have amused us at DVDVR, and while it wasn't a bad match......no they shouldn't really be featuring Billy Gunn on Dynamite. That's probably over now anyway...not sure Lucha Bros are really the guys, not sure I'd keep the TNT belt on Sammy for too long either. Though of course people would probably accuse them of panic if they switched too quickly. They've ran the 'Punk/Bryan face guy they're never going to job to' way too many times (Punk should probably have lost one of those matches in all honesty)...a Codyverse street fight isn't necessarily a draw. Put simply, there's a general feeling of 'nothing is happening' right now and that's not buttering any parsnips.

• Like 2

I didn't think AEW would ever rip off a Byker Grove PJ and Duncan storyline from 90s UK kids TV but here we are. "He can't see man! He can't see!" 

I'm old and like 2 people would understand this reference, but I bet PAC is aware being a Geordie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I wasn't really feeling Nese vs Sammy. I think I prefer Sammy against someone who's more of a contrast. I do wish he'd have gotten up a little bit later in the corner for the finish.

Speaking of pump kicks, Rampage is a taped show. Maybe they could have edited Jade's pump kick a little better to protect her?

The PAC intentional botch is something that our circles will still be talking about in a decade even when we forget all sorts of other things. Like that time in one of his first matches where Del Rio winked and pushed the jobber off the apron. ... Let me gif that.

281oZK.gif

Toi me ratings are interesting topic - like what are the ratings relative to the cost. Meaning TNT is paying less for AEW than FOX for Smackdown, what kind of ROI is TNT getting - which is directly tied to the ability to charge $$ ad rates.  Is Rampage net higher than running a rerun of a movie on Friday at 10pm? 

• Like 2

I'd never seen this Tony Nese pre-AEW.  I researched back to a fantastic NXT bout against Spanky after seeing him in the live audience.  And thus far I've really liked what he's bringing to the Elite roster. They're building up a nice undercard job squad with guys like Nese and Jay Lethal.  Much of the complaints going around about these kind of signings seems centered on the unrealistic idea that everybody coming in needs to be a top 5 guy.  The way they protect sooo many potential bigger matches, and book predictable but good TV bouts, calls for these kind of athletic work horses.  Great showing from Nese here.   

Saturday Morning/Afternoon Rampage has solidly become a weekly viewing highlight.  Sammy, Nese, Jade (minus that unfortunate and unedited pump kick spot), FTR, Tully, Pac and Penta were all wonderful.  Great Danielson-Silver package.  And very much loved Mark Henry's segment this week.  Mark had enough of the talking and grit his teeth nicely on the big line (great to hear the crowd along for the ride) before delivering that big generous smile we all love.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

“Did you just say AIPAC?”

”No, I said Hey Pac!” 

0778-B572-D863-4-EB1-9-BC4-6-DEF51-A76-C

Just saw a VHS copy of this at work last night! It low-key might be my favorite Mel Brooks film, and that's standing in some pretty tall cotton. (Okay, it's no Young Frankenstein, but I love it. I also liked Dracula Dead and Loving It so I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer)

Anyway, I want Miro to just come back and decimate Sammy. Then come for Danielson. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just saw a VHS copy of this at work last night! It low-key might be my favorite Mel Brooks film, and that's standing in some pretty tall cotton. (Okay, it's no Young Frankenstein, but I love it. I also liked Dracula Dead and Loving It so I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer)

R.c6fd3a820325488a5a75eaf875bc260d?rik=Z

My first Mel Brooks film, Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Still a sentimental favourite watching it as a kid with my Mum. My much missed Mum's Birthday next Wednesday the 8th of December, she'll be 61. Mum was only 53 when she passed on the 26th of June 2014.

• Like 3

I like Nese because he’s the good kind of flippy where he always looks like he’s trying to hurt his opponent (Sammy’s also good at this; that corkscrew tope with the knee to Nese’s head was gnarly.)

Sammy would be better off getting tossed around by the Comorotos and JD Drakes on the roster instead of working guys with similar styles. The problem is that two of the other pillars are better at that than him .

• Like 2

Tony Nese is the blandest, most milquetoast motherfucker. I hate this signing so much. It's like if the Cubs signed another outfielder for $1 million. Just because they're cheap and are talented enough to play doesn't mean you should hire them because ultimately they're nowhere near as talented as other people already on the team and you're just wasting money. Nese is no better than any actual AEW talent. 

Like, great, he kinda looks like Roddy Strong, PAC, Silver, and others. Oh, and he wrestles a generic indy style, except he poses and flexes his very middle of the pack in wrestling body. Other than that, he has nothing else going for him. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Like, great, he kinda looks like Roddy Strong, PAC, Silver, and others.

We talked about this in the Discord. I said he looked like either Jay White or Wade Barrett but with a regular looking nose. Everybody else said you watch him and he's so generic that memory fades from view, basically. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

We talked about this in the Discord. I said he looked like either Jay White or Wade Barrett but with a regular looking nose. Everybody else said you watch him and he's so generic that memory fades from view, basically. 

Yeah, I saw those too. It's just remarkable how little he stands out and how much he just looks like everyone else. 

Honestly, he'd be better behind a mask and a different name. Tony Nese is the name of someone would be the 19th best CPA in the Long Island area.

• Like 1

Damn, Jade.  When you botch one move in a match that only has two or three, you need more training.

I’m fine with her losing in the semis or finals and doing a “I got this far on raw ability but now I need to go away and train hard to get to the next level” angle.

• Like 3

Nese didn't bother me at all, I'd rather a bland talented guy than another Billy Gunn. Fun match with lots of moves.

I've said before that Jade has the look but is so painfully, obviously green that I don't like watching her. And once again they went to the "future opponent at the announce able to interfere" well. I guess the writers were still hungover from Thanksgiving break.

Main Event was such a great old school tag match and, yeah, FTR is fucking awesome.

Taz can be a great color commentator at times, but sometimes he spends too much time trying to put himself and Team Taz over.

• Like 1

If the WWE is going to headhunt Jade, please by all means let them do it. Then AEW can sign her when they inevitably release her a year or two down the road after getting more experience. They're not getting much use out of their developmental system, but maybe AEW can.

• Like 3