DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 31: Font vs. Aldo (12/04/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

Watched some of the fights today.

First round of Clay Guida was batshit. As soon as Peterson called time for the mouthpiece I knew it was over for Santos. He emptied the tank for 75 straight seconds. That's a goddamn eternity at 100%. 

I'm pretty sure Crute only got punched twice in the face and it wasn't pretty. I think Hill threw the same punch three times. First one missed. Found the range and hit it twice for a finish. Just knew where the off switch was located. Great stuff.

Also fight was really compelling really wild. I think in the third Font had outlanded Aldo approx. 100 to 50 and was still losing. Every time he got momentum in the standup Aldo would just erase it with a punch. I didn't think that would be the story at all. In fact I thought it would be the opposite with Aldo looking good and then getting rocked.

Felt bad for Font who feels like one of the best contenders who just can't get into a title fight, but it's still exciting to see Aldo get shit done. Like watching late career Roger Federer fend off the young lions for another Open. 

Bring on Dillashaw.

Winner of that vs. winner of.....Petr Yan basically.

Catching up this morning. Fiziev/Riddell was such a fantastic technical fight. I love back and forth all out chaos but technical masterpieces like that are just as fun and rarer. Great call by Herb Dean on stopping it after that perfect kick. 

That may have been the most impressive performance I've seen from Rob Font. Against one of the greatest of all time, he put it on Jose for the first 4.5 minutes, got seriously hurt, survived, worked his way back into the fight, got hurt again, but kept finding ways to survive. Incredible heart, stamina, and determination. I don't think he physically ever recovered from that end of the first round picture perfect 1-2. He was noticeably fucked up after the second time he got hurt, wiping at his eye and constantly wincing. Yet he came out in the fifth and still tried to put it on Aldo. Jose is a freak. World needs another Aldo/Yan fight for the title. I am glad Aldo called out Dillashaw as that's the sure fire way to the title fight. Is Yan waiting for Sterling? What's the deal? Aldo would get frozen out if its Yan vs. Dillashaw for the interim title and Sterling fights the winner of that. What a great division though. 

Great to see Kape really find his stride in the UFC now. Jamahal Hill looked fantastic too. 

How the fuck has Chris Curtis lost 8 fights? That guy's boxing is so crisp. I see he was in PFL and lost to some of their top guys. Interesting. 

Hold on, Cruz vs. Munhoz isn't even on the main card next week? Not even main eventing the prelims. Jesus Christ, those two are so much fun to watch and two of my favourites in the division. Emmett vs. Ige gonna be wild too. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

He's really fortunate that Keith Peterson was reffing that fight because there are 5 or 6 spots where you could have stopped that fight. It also helps that Leo Santos kept looking back at the ref after every big shot. I dunno why MMA fighters still do that for the most part. You would think by now fighters would have a good sense of which refs stop it quick and which ones don't.

Never look at the ref.  If he isn't stopping you, keep punching until the other guy is dead.  I know that's a horrible thing to say and you should be concerned about any injury you may inflict in the course of a fight, but under no circumstances should you presume to make the ref's call for him.