DVDVR Message Board

Secret Santo Holiday Season 2021

Matt D

On 1/10/2022 at 8:41 AM, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

@Web Conn

Rockers v Adonis & Orton Jr 2/20/88

I didn't forget I just got busy all of a sudden this week so here we are...

latter day AWA, I'm most familiar with this time period in AWA as I would watch the ESPN Shows when they appeared on ESPN Classics back in 06. I'm a big fan of tag team wrestling and this was a really fun match. The crowd were so into The Rockers here and Orton and Adonis were the perfect foils for Shawn and Marty. Bob and Adrian were not afraid to sell and bump their asses off for the smaller Rockers but when it was time to get some heat they could do that two and still look imposing and credible. A testament to how secure the two were in their talents that they didn't mind letting the smaller Faces get some shine. Evidently they were not secure enough to let Shawn or Marty pin them but that could also have something to do with how disorganized and how day by day the AWA was at the time so a clean finish in a Tag Title match was overlooked. All in all i liked this match Shawn and Marty were good even as young and green as they still were here. The North Dakota crowd were hot for this and it brought the match to a whole other level.

On 1/22/2022 at 8:44 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Then let's end on a real high note

It's hard to entirely know what to write about this. They hit each other really hard, to the point where you see flesh impacted into bone, like watching something ripple in slow motion and it's grotesque but you can't look away. There are frequent and violent headbutts with very little recoil. No give. If the idea behind pro wrestling is doing things that look painful but do not hurt, they fail utterly. If it's to create a compelling display of violence with a real sense of struggle and stakes, well, they nail it. But everyone who sees ten seconds of this know that and I'm not sure what I can offer along those lines. Instead, one moment called to me more than any other. It's towards the end, right around the bottle shot, where Terry has a real advantage. It's on the downswing now. Exhaustion's setting in. Throughout the match, there were small chants of Vamos Wotan, small enough to tell you the crowd was split or at least even in their regard, but here, as Terry has an advantage and as both men are bleeding, the small Wotan chants start up again and Terry just lets out this massive deflated sigh. I'm not sure if it was directly due to the chant starting again or if it was cumulative to the damage of the match, but it felt a little like the weight of an entire life just pressing down upon him. What had he done that had led him to this moment? On the precipice of a victory in this particular battle, but you have to wonder what greater war he had been waging for so, so long, and if there was any chance of survival, let alone triumph, left?

• Thanks 1