DVDVR Message Board

Secret Santo Holiday Season 2021

Matt D

Zimbra, if you're still with us, here's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DbYWXUtoRY&ab_channel=NJPW

It's Shinya Hashimoto-Shiro Koshinaka-Strong Machine-George Takano-Tatsutoshi Goto vs Timur Zalasov-Vladimir Berkovich-Victor Zangiev-Wahka Evloev-Salman Hashimikov (5x5)

There's a non-zero chance that this is one of the ones that no one's actually seen. I'm not 100% sure. I haven't seen it, I don't think, but it's brisk at 20 mins and probably full of cool throws and stuff.

@Web Conncan you watch things on Youtube that are age blocked? Because the Mr. Condor vs. Black Terry match is a must-see. (I do have a Youtube account but it just asks me for my Google password to log in)

If you can't see that then here's a one-off reviewed on Segunda recently that I need to watch too because I haven't seen it since the VHS in the late '90s: 

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

@Web Conncan you watch things on Youtube that are age blocked? Because the Mr. Condor vs. Black Terry match is a must-see. (I do have a Youtube account but it just asks me for my Google password to log in)

If you can't see that then here's a one-off reviewed on Segunda recently that I need to watch too because I haven't seen it since the VHS in the late '90s: 

I'll watch 'em both, i'm hardcore ...

Black Terry Vs Mr Condor 

I know nothing about these two guys are the promotion or anything. There's a bunch of Semi Tractors in the background it looks like this is taking place at a truck stop or a street fair or a street fair at a truck stop. I'm gathering this is in Mexico. Mr Condor comes out to "Back In Black" by AC/DC wearing a skeleton mask. Black Terry comes out to "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath and has a Flash T-Shirt he made into a muscle t. Immediately Condor ambushes Terry and they are swinging on each other in what looks like to be a Junkyard. As if these two had procrastinated on sending in their Junkyard Invitational audition tape in and realized 22 years had past. There is obviously a storied history between these two men they brutalize each other like the have disliked one another for longer than they ever liked each other. Condor stabs Terry in the head with a broken beer bottle. Terry bleeds all over the place. They brawl all over the ringside are with a crowd following them. They are on the outside for a good 5-6 minutes. They have a standoff with broken beer bottles, Condor is bleeding. They finally end up in the ring and it just gets even more bloody. Condor with Terry with a sheet of glass which gets an instant replay. They end up back on the outside beating the shit out of each other. I almost prefer the two on the outside. It's like the two toughest of the toughest old fucks who hang out at the bar got into it, it went past words and now they are in the parking lot fucking each other up to the amusement of the other patrons who have filed out of the bar to watch the spectacle. And a spectacle it is. It's like 10 minutes before any really wrestling moves other than chops and punches are done and by that point both men are so fatigued that i don't even know if i would call them moves other than one guy toppling over the other. But it works for this cuz it isn't as much a wrestling match as it is a fight for survival and wrestling moves shouldn't be applied or look polished and smooth when applied in a fight for survival. This was 1000 times better than the the Junkyard Invitational I'm glad they didn't get their tape in on time. Who doesn't two aging warriors of the rings who hate each other going to town and expressing their disdain for the other by recklessly teeing off on the others head with their fists? Black Terry wins with a sunset flip i think. The crowd is happy with the result. Condor grabs the mic I don't speak Spanish so i don't know what he was saying. It seems directed at Terry and I recognize a swear. Terry gets on the mic and he says some things and I don't think it's over between these two men. 

Rey Mysterio vs Jushin Liger

Funnily enough I watched this match shit almost 4 years back when it was announced the rematch was gonna happen at that Strong Style Evolved show in March of 2018 which was headlined by The Golden Lovers vs The Young Bucks before Rey got hurt and the match never happened. I haven't watched this match in that time since I watched it last in February of 2018, but it does stand as the first match iIve watched before in this Secret Santo. There's two big takeaways from this match for me are 1. That this is early enough into the nWo angle that the commentators are actually calling the match and not going on and on about the nWo and what Hogan is up and 2. This match is a lot more chain wrestling and working over a body part then you would think there's a lot of down time between the big movez i'm not complaining it just took me by surprise I remember Rey from this era jumping all over the place. I can't get over over how big the crowd reacted to a teased dive to the outside. I don't think the moosault Rey does to Liger on the outside later on in the match got as big of a pop as the teased outside 619 with no guy on the rope did. Tenay calling the dragon screw leg wipe gets a pop out of Dusty. He dug the name. There's some sloppiness and botched spots and overall there's something missing from the match. it's not a bad match but not the best match these two could of had together. MAybe nashville wasn't the place for this match. Liger wins with a Liger Bomb. 

• Like 1

BAMMER VS. VADER

Unfortunately this video is almost unwatchable. It's a cropped Samurai version that seems to be a recording from Youtube streaming on whatever the lowest bitrate per minute is, to the point it actually fully pauses 3/4 of the way through the match then cuts ahead. I finished it though and it's exactly what you think it is: two big meaty men slapping meat. They actually do very little. Vader loses it and throws a table after getting hiptossed, yells like a dying wooly mammoth in a knucklelock, and beats on Bammer. Bam Bam bumps and sells. Eventually Peter Takahashi gets nailed and they go to a DQ with Vader stage-diving over the rail to get it (was that an NJ rule back then? Very Watts-ian of them). They probably wanted this to be their Andre/Hansen but it didn't have the vibe. 

Found this and it might be more interesting, especially with Inoki as ref (?!). 

https://www.facebook.com/backintimewrestling/videos/big-van-vader-vs-bam-bam-bigelow-9-20-89/557192201914923/

I'll wait until you watch the match to get really in the weeds about but you know how it ends, I almost think Piper should have won the World Title at Starrcade. Have him drop it back to Hogan at Superbrawl. Shit Giant joining the nWo winning World War 3 losing to Piper at Sould Out when it was up to him to bring the Championship back to the nWo then getting kicked out of the nWo for not beating Piper makes way more sense from booking stand point than joining the nWo winning World War 3 then getting kicke dout of the nWo two months after joining cuz he had the audacity to expect Hogan to defend the World Championship against him after he rightfully the title shot.

5 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I'd like to hop back in the mix next week if that doesn't bugger up the numbers.

We're in the dodgy drift stage right now but on Sunday, I'll remix anyone who gave someone a pick this week and I'll add you in for one last week.

HOGAN VS. PIPER

I thoroughly enjoyed this. At the time, I'm sure I didn't give a shit. I remember less about watching it than I did the "Age in the Cage" match, because when I was 14 and rented WCW PPVs on VHS I wanted to see the Cruisers. But seeing it again after all these years shows that this is a perfectly fine '80s blowoff match between a nasty heel and a beloved babyface that could have happened in literally any territory. The difference is, the personalities are switched. Hogan was always better as a baby, Piper as a heel. But when you but the two of THEIR personalities together, the better heel is Hogan and the better face is Piper, especially after the NWO reared its ugly head. As you'd expect this is a real simple match (which is probably why none of us youngins cared for it) that had maximum appeal to the live crowd, which had fatboys in NWO shirts jumping up and cheering Piper. Hogan is all stalling and shit-talk, back rakes and exploitation of the hip replacement (which hit a certain note to me given a similar, worse surgical scar on my own right arm). Piper is all fire, eyepokes, and chasing. Matter of fact I could have used more fire but both guys were winded towards the end of the match -- as Dusty said, they'd had to many "skirmishes". The Giant interference is kind of wonky but it serves its purpose; what it really needed was Randy Anderson to give the big old YOU'RE OUTTA HERE to everyone participating and then a bigger blast of shine from Piper, but the final count still feels like a shocker. Hogan lost?! He LET himself LOSE? It would be interesting to have been in the brains of many people involved in this match to know truth from fiction and find out how it really went down. 

Anyway, you'd never expect me to like an NWO Hulk Hogan match, but I do now, so there you go. (and for Paul, I have strong opinions about former WWF/WCW/WWE Champion Terry Bollea which you should PM me about. But I wanted to express them here too because I can't help myself haha) 

EDIT: HA!!! We have a new framistan, or whatever the fuck those are called, above. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

If they were gonna go all the way with Hogan losing anyway, sure, I guess. It really needed to be Sting at you-know-what but if if he was gonna drop the fall then him being so reliant on the belt but losing it could have pushed him over the edge and made him a bigger heel for it. That may have been too much of a shoot though. Brother.

You could have Roddy win it and have Hogan win it back at SupwrBrawl with a ton of nWo interference and still have Sting winning at Starrcade 97 but they would have had to have Sting win after destroying the nWo and then beating Hogan I’m a squash. And we know that wasn’t gonna work for him brother.

I know they were older and it was more smoke and mirrors but the feud being juxtaposed a decade later with Rowdy as Face as Hogan as heel was a great dynamic and I feel like Rowdy beating Hulk for the belt could have worked as like a brief glimpse of hope for WCW only to be dimmed by the nWo further establishing Sting as the secret weapon. Plus they could have had Flair on the sidelines with the rotator cuff surgery showing a little jealously so their feud in the summer of 97 could have then made more sense.

• Like 1

MVC vs. HANSEN/SPIVEY

That was just a big ol' chunk of fun. I read your review where you said the first minute and the last minute were the best but I don't see that; what I see is four big hosses blasting the crap out of each other for around 20 minutes with seemingly bottomless gas tanks. The start with Spivey and Dr. Death rolling around and making their own Katamari ball out of streamers is indeed pretty great, but the meat of the match is just vicious. Spivey hits an all-time lariat that would end any other match. Hansen at one point desperately grabs the bottom rope in a refusal to be pinned, which is something. In fact he basically plays Ricky Morton for a good chunk of the match which is not a role you would expect the man to play. Every single strike in this match is withering and they know how to milk it. The end is deflating but Hansen immediately says "NO" and jumps in with only the second most vicious lariat of the match to continue the carnage. Spivey in this looks like the world's baddest Kevin Nash by the way. If you could give me twenty of these I'd watch every single one. 

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

MVC vs. HANSEN/SPIVEY

That was just a big ol' chunk of fun. I read your review where you said the first minute and the last minute were the best but I don't see that; what I see is four big hosses blasting the crap out of each other for around 20 minutes with seemingly bottomless gas tanks. The start with Spivey and Dr. Death rolling around and making their own Katamari ball out of streamers is indeed pretty great, but the meat of the match is just vicious. Spivey hits an all-time lariat that would end any other match. Hansen at one point desperately grabs the bottom rope in a refusal to be pinned, which is something. In fact he basically plays Ricky Morton for a good chunk of the match which is not a role you would expect the man to play. Every single strike in this match is withering and they know how to milk it. The end is deflating but Hansen immediately says "NO" and jumps in with only the second most vicious lariat of the match to continue the carnage. Spivey in this looks like the world's baddest Kevin Nash by the way. If you could give me twenty of these I'd watch every single one. 

Yeah, I do these pretty quick for the AJPW project by definition and sometimes I don't include something, like the blood! But that Spivey lariat early was sort of looped into my "first few minutes" in my head, but he really just comes back out of nowhere with that as a comeback of sorts after it looks like he's going to get outgunned and it's thunderous and is the moment where he asserts his rightful presence in the match.

Glad you liked it. Only one review on cagematch. No PWO thread. Not on Ditch's list, etc. Just not a match a lot of people have seen, I think.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Andre & Jay Strongbow v Don Jonathan & Otto von Heller

Andre at MSG! What more could you ask for? Don Leo Jonathan bellyaches that Andre doesn’t understand English so can't understand the rules. That doesn’t stop the Giant as he tags in to give Heller a whack before locking up with Jonathan, taking control and delivering a headbutt.

Strongbow tags back in, getting snared in a bearhug which doesn’t look all that snug. Jay busts out a chop and soon Andre is giving Don a taste of his own medicine. The Giant backs up Strongbow as Heller looks to cause trouble, allowing Jay and Andre to get the first fall on a DQ.

Strongbow and Jonathan square up for the second fall, Strongbow lands another chop then Andre is able to rock Don with some clubbing blows. It doesn’t help Jay much as he gets throttled and pummelled by the heels. Strongbow slips through Heller’s legs to tag Andre back in. Despite Jonathan’s best efforts, Andre pins Heller after a splash.

I wanna see the matches Andre had with Jonathan in Canada, I guess they are lost to the sands of time.

Thanks @Web Conn