DVDVR Message Board

Secret Santo Holiday Season 2021

Matt D

On 12/11/2021 at 3:07 PM, Morganti said:

@Web Conn

Here is something I found by searching for Hawaii wrestling

https://youtu.be/uwBqUgj5qcg

I’ve never seen any wrestling from the Hawaii Territory. All I know The Rocks grandparents ran it and Bret Harts older brother Dean would ref there from time to time but that’s about it. Sam Steamboat I’ve never seen wrestle before. I know he’s who Ricky Steamboat got his namesake from though I don’t think they look that much alike. And I’ve never heard of Rocky Tomayo before being he looks like an unsavory character. Also the ring announcer looks a little bit like Don Owen. It starts of slow but this match is from 77 so it’s to be expected. Not that it matters the crowd loves Steamboat and the more Tomayo stalls the more they react to when Steamboat gets a strike in. I like the lone commentator he brings a certain integrity to this contest. Not many flat back bumps but they grapple and work the headlock spots for drama. Steamboat works as the face in peril and Tomayo is the dastardly heel. It works. Steamboat works a comeback but targeting Tomayos knee. I like matches that focuses on a wrestler working over a specific body part of their opponent. Tomayo seemed content in working over Steamboats eyes what with all the eye rakes. Steamboat starts swinging on Tomayo, they end up outside the ring. The kids in the crowd get excited over this. They end up back in the ring Steamboat is in full control he hits Tomayo with a back body drop, the highest spot of the match. Steamboat gets in an Abdominal Stretch he gets jabbed in the ear and the match cuts out I didn’t see the finish. But from what I saw it was a cool match, simple but effective. 

CACTUS JACK VS. THE STINGER

Yeah, that was a lot of fun, and a great babyface-oriented match that shows why Sting is so beloved today while still working a formula as old as Methuselah. It's a street fight, no DQ, so you get what you would in pre-ECW US wrestling: chairs, floor bumps, basic out of the ring work, but it's still compelling because both guys have super charisma and heat. Fonzie should actually be recognized as the third man in the match because dude is all over the place trying to keep up; if this were NJPW he'd be Red Shoes but less annoying (which would be an incredible victory for the one and only Bill Alfonzo haha). It also does what it should and keeps the competition between Vader and Sting stoked up for later, which Tony and Jesse are on point with in their announcing. Can't think of anything more any party could have done. Excellent stuff. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Zimbra said:

@Web Conn

Izumida/Honda vs Hayabusa/Shinzaki 1/16/99

I hope you like blood and head-based offense

I've seen Shinzaki and Haybusa vs RVD and Sabu, thats all i've sen of them. I've never seen Izumida and Honda before. In fact besides a handful of matches from the 80's I haven't watched much All Japan. This is for the All Asia Tag Team Championships, Izumida and Honda are defending against the outside team representing FMW. I know that much. Zimbra's right lots of blood and lots of head butts. The head butts start right off the bat, Red Singlet Guy favors headbutts. Shinzaki bleeds less than 10 minutes in. For fuck i'd say for the 1st 10 minutes is Sinzaki playing the Ricky Morton in the champions corner. He takes a beating. The Hayabusa tags in and the crowd comes alive. I've also been under the impression that Hayabusa was the Japanese equivalent to Sabu. I don't know if all of that is true but i see the parallels. Hayabusa hits a flying cross body off the top rope onto No Frills Black Trunks Up To The Naval Guy over the guard rail into the crowd which was an awesome spot. Crowd was really behind the Challangers, once they started hitting tandem offense on the champs that crowd was losing their minds. Red Singlet Guy gets the 3 after hitting a german on Shinzaki to retain the titles. Really fun match, this was a by the numbers tag match. I mean that in the best way possible. The started off slow got the heat on the babyface, hot tag wild shit, slowed it down some more wild shit and then the finish. Stellar match!

• Like 1

You are definitely getting another Honda match this season. I'd say Hayabusa was more Sabu in pants and recklessness than anything else, he was more a mix of the Four Pillars and NJ Juniors than anything. Maybe one of the first postmodern wrestlers? Lets just say he would fit in real real well right now. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I'm gonna give Matt a crap shoot this time, two from the Moxley book. Pick a card, any card, I won't look: 

If you don't like the idea of choosing then I'll pick one myself. 

I went with this because it was really alien to me. I've never seen Barnett as a wrestler. I've never seen Suzuki. I know nothing about IGF or 2011 NJPW or any of this. The only thing I was familiar with was Suzuki's kiss up Inoki shirt. This was the family of shoot style I like the most, where you get liberal amounts of pro wrestling tossed in. I loved the second announcer being completely unaware of what was going on and wondering why the holds didn't end it and trying to figure out what the hell Barnett's power bomb was. My problem with the style is that almost always, storytelling is intrinsic. There tend to be very few overt story beats and it becomes all openings and opportunities. Here, you might have gotten a bit of Suzuki going for the shoulder early or Barnett getting more and more throws as the match went on, but maybe exposing himself on the attempts, but it's really intrinsic and I rarely get the sense that they're trying to work an actual story into what they're doing as opposed to just testing and trying one another and feeding momentum switches in the moment. I'm sure that's much more like real life but the upside of pro wrestling is that you can lean further into conscious fabrication and in cling to legitimacy and realism, I often think these guys don't strike the right balance and this was really no different. That's not to say it wasn't enjoyable and entertaining, for the pace they were striking, as much as anything else. It never really felt cooperative to me and they were just constantly going, constant motion, never sitting in anything for long. Barnett was just a lot of fun to watch once the match got going and he kept going for the throws. My favorite was probably his northern lights, but there was a lot to choose from. And then the finish was just the most pro wrestling thing possible which the second announcer put over like a pile driver in memphis (not that he had any idea of it).

Tomorrow's Xmas, so I'll do another draw on Sunday for everyone.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

It does feel a little exhibition-y if you think about it. They are constantly rolling. Coincidentally that was taken from a DREAM show from I believe New Year's Eve/Day that aired on AXSTV, where I first watched it, the one where Inoki came out hung on a cross like Jesus: https://playingrickymorton.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/antonio-inoki-on-a-cross/

On 12/24/2021 at 11:06 PM, Morganti said:

For you @(BP)

Hey the embed worked this time

I’ve only seen Cannon on AEW Dark. He and Taylor have an opening with some nice exchanges, but then the body of the match is a comedy bit where they’re sitting in chairs in the ring having a beer. Once that’s over we’re already into the finishing stretch with Chucky T going over suddenly after he gives Cannon a stump puller piledriver. 

Taylor is solid as always, great timing. I’m always impressed by that moonsault from the first turnbuckle that he uses here. This didn’t give me a fuller picture on Cannon, but he looks crisp and he carries himself like a seasoned veteran should. 

58 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

@Matt D please send me some All Japan. Like I said I haven’t watched much of All Japan besides Ric Flair vs Riki Choshu, The Funks vs Brody and Hansen and some other stuff from the 80’s. 

I feel like this match gets traded around on these, but it's for a reason. I find it more accessible than a lot of other big AJPW tag matches, while you still get the sort of underlying notion of fighting spirit (through Kikuchi) even as Kroffat brings an almost Memphis heeling mentality, with an absolutely molten crowd.

It's 5/25/92: Kikuchi/Kobashi vs Furnas/Kroffat (even if it won't embed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y0DaQKoxTQ&ab_channel=ClassicsPuro83

• Like 1

CHRIS HERO VS. HUMAN TORNADO 

Well this was fuckin awesome until the ECW reared its ugly head. Truly a spiteful, vicious match -- cage or not -- and worthy of your time. I have no idea who Human Tornado is. My experience with 2000s indies is pretty terrible (which is why this project is such a boon) and not only do I not know him but frankly I haven't seen much of Hero! I think my greatest experience is with the match vs. Ian Rotten, Cage of Death, and the writings about him. It's pretty sad but back in them days I was interested more in sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll than wrestling TBH. Proclivities aside this started off mean and got even meaner as both guys basically nuked each other the whole way with chairs and hard, HARD shots. Every elbow Hero threw felt like a knockout. There were very little moves and goofiness, there was just vicious brawling... until there wasn't. Ref bumps, Claudio came in, Necro came in, Candice LeRay came in (for a hefty whop of homophobia on the part of the shithead crowd) and there went your 45 minute match down the toilet, really. If Dragon hadn't booked it into a Heyman wet dream it would have been great. Superknockout from Hero or have Tornado stab him in the nuts, either way would have worked. Still, a really hot, really violent match that knowing the story of would have been cool to have. 

Must say, I'm very appreciative to have two cage bloodfests PAIR OFF~! Thank you @Morganti

On 12/26/2021 at 10:11 PM, Web Conn said:

@Matt D please send me some All Japan. Like I said I haven’t watched much of All Japan besides Ric Flair vs Riki Choshu, The Funks vs Brody and Hansen and some other stuff from the 80’s. 

Here’s a crazy match for you

I'm 3:28 into the video and I have to stop because there's so much going on here.

• Madusa comes out with Larry and Cactus. Cactus goes "New Partner! Bang Bang!"
  • Simmons is wary of Abdullah the whole way down.
  • They're hyping an Omni show with a lights out cage match between Cactus and Abdullah at the Omni where the only way to win is to push your opponent off the top of the cage. WHAT! This probably exists in the WWE archives too. We'll probably never see it. That show also had Dangerous Alliance vs Sting/Steamboat/Dustin with Dusty tied to Heyman. Oh and Larry vs Windham (remember, Larry crushed Windham's arm at Havoc) in a death match with EL GIGANTE as the special ref.
  • They're pushing a main event the next week (at 5:05!) with Sting/Steiners vs Cactus Jack/Van Hammer/Mr. Hughes. Hughes would turn later into 92 due to JYD but that's Sting and the Steiners vs a tweener, a face, and a heel. What the heck? (EDIT: We have it. It went 12:30. I have to watch the stupid thing later).
  • Tony's announcing alone for some reason though he does promise more Missy later.

The next Center Stage taping is sponsored by Blimpie Terrence Taylor pinned Big Josh after Harley Race interferedand will have free food for everyone.

Ok, onto the match. Good exchanges early with Simmons vs Cactus and Larry. They have Cactus dodging Abdullah but Larry vs Abby is an all time pairing as Larry stooges around the ring for his throat shots. Cactus and Larry work well double teaming Simmons. Simmons hits this really cool half exploder/half standing back body drop and makes the hot tag to Abby who hits Cactus once or twice to set up the Simmons spinebuster slam. Post match is crazy as Cactus hits the elbow and whacks Abby with rolled up fence. 

I was going to call "Delayed Gratification" Abby and Cactus finally touching but who are we kidding, it's definitely Missy showing up post commercial and asking ten questions about Abdullah in rapid fire succession. ("Does he drive a car or a truck? Does he have an American Express card?")

I need to look at those Omni results.

This stands out. Terrence Taylor pinned Big Josh after Harley Race interfered (Why is Harley interfering here?) Unsurprisingly the babyfaces all won in the big matches, including Cactus falling off the cage. Maybe someday, film archive. Maybe someday.

Do people want to go another week or two or what?

Edited by Matt D

On 12/26/2021 at 8:13 PM, Matt D said:

I feel like this match gets traded around on these, but it's for a reason. I find it more accessible than a lot of other big AJPW tag matches, while you still get the sort of underlying notion of fighting spirit (through Kikuchi) even as Kroffat brings an almost Memphis heeling mentality, with an absolutely molten crowd.

It's 5/25/92: Kikuchi/Kobashi vs Furnas/Kroffat (even if it won't embed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y0DaQKoxTQ&ab_channel=ClassicsPuro83

So I've been saying I haven't watched much All Japan which is true. But i forgot that I've seen arguably the most famous of All Japan matches especially on this board which is Misawa vs Kawada. It slipped my mind when i was bringing up watching All Japan 80's matches most of which involve Flair, The Funks, Brody and Hansen. It is important to me that people on this board know that i've seen The Greatest Wrestling Match of all time in Misawa vs Kawada.

So lets get into the match at hand. I did a little research, Furnas and Kroffat are the All Asia Tag Team Champions in the midst of a 10 month run. I'm familiar with them as the big guys standing around as Sabu and RVD's heavies in ECW. Kenta Kobashi i'm versed in I've seen a handful of his NOAH Epics and of course the match with Joe underneath a chandelier. Kikiuchi I've never seen or hard of before this match but I dig his trunks, the man has badass gear. First off forget everything you think you about Japanese wrestling crowds because this one will defy every last bit of it. This crowd is LOUD and they are LOUD from the giddy up. The are as hot if not hotter than the hottest Dynamite crowd. And boy does it enhance a really awesome match. The crowd love their local boys (local as in fellow Japanese) especially Kenta. They loved them some Kenta. Furnas and Kroffat wear their Memphis experience on their sleeves; they are not afraid to take powders on the outside, apply headlocks to slow down the match, or even mockingly clap on the apron as their partner hits a shoulder tackle on the babyface. I will say that the headlocks are used to further the match and not just a lazy device to call spots. One spot I found humorous was when Furnas Press Slammed Kikuchi onto a table on the outside and the table didn't budge. Japanese tables stay undefeated. This match was awesome. Kenta and Kuchi from the opening bell just go ham on Furnas and Kroffat who slow it down  and work over their opponents. Theirs two Doomsday devices, There's a frogsplash where Kenta gets his knees up and that gets a crazy pop. The crowd goes wild for everything Kenta and Kikuchi do. At the end when Kenta hits the 2nd DDT on Kroffat for the win and the tag straps that crowd is besides themselves in enjoyment. Thanks for bringing this match to my attention Matt.

Also I'm so down to continue this. I'm watching matches that I would never seek out and I'm all the better for it.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Thanks 1