DVDVR Message Board

Secret Santo Holiday Season 2021

Matt D

Hi all,

The rules are simple. Random draw to match partners. Pick a match (30 minutes or less and that your partner can access) specifically tailored to your partner asap after the draw. Feel reach to reach out to your partner to ask what they'd like. We'll all post preferences in the first week anyway. Get a match from your partner. Watch said match. Do a write up. It doesn't need to be War and Peace. Draw is on Saturday, so you've got a week to watch and write. It's more important to give your partner a match than to watch yours in a timely fashion, but don't commit for the week if you don't think you can make it or that you won't be able to check the board. Communication is key. Everyone is welcome. Lurkers. People who mostly post ratings and gifs. @DEAN. (Tagging's not working for me so that one was pointless).

So far we have .... me, Morganti, Curt McGirt, Web Conn, (BP), and Zimbra. That's actually enough to last us through December, but more is better! If you're interested and can commit for at least the first few weeks, let me know below and sign up. We do the first roll on Saturday and everyone will have a week to watch before the next.

I flat-out love participating in Secret Santo. I have had an absolute blast every time I have participated. I learned about some great matches, revisited some old favourites, even had some fun thinking about why I didn't like certain matches. And, it is a ton of fun to pick matches for other people, trying to figure out something they will love or find something crazy or unusual... and to read everyone's reviews, recaps, and thoughts.

Sadly I will not have adequate time to participate fully this round. I will lurk here, read as close to everything as I am able, maybe even chime in with a comment or two. But I need to skip this round.

I'd absolutely urge anyone who A) is interested and B) will have time, to participate. It really is a lot of fun.

• Like 1

I appreciate it. It's better to be upfront with your time than to leave people hanging. We'll miss both of you this round but there's always going to be a next round in July unless @RIPPAshuts me down for pushing too hard to bring back March Madness next year or something.

And, in general, people can definitely jump on for a week or two and jump off as needed as well. It's not a full month (or two if we slide into January if it's going well) commitment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

We DM our partner the match or do we tag em in here with the said match?

Tag 'em here

@Matt DI tried to think of what the opposite of AJPW was and decided it was Supreme Lee Great vs Tommy Suede from the Yokozuna memorial show that WXW did.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Tag 'em here

@Matt DI tried to think of what the opposite of AJPW was and decided it was Supreme Lee Great vs Tommy Suede from the Yokozuna memorial show that WXW did.

I shall dive into that.

Here's Takada vs Caswell Martin which we uncovered earlier in the year. It's very watchable and was a find.

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

We DM our partner the match or do we tag em in here with the said match?

Like Zumba said, just tag them here but feel free to DM or ask here if you’re not sure what they might want.

Edited by Matt D
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2021 at 4:32 PM, Zimbra said:

Tag 'em here

This is definitely not a match I would have come to on my own, that's for sure. These were two Afa trainees a year or two into their careers. The last match we have on cagematch for Lee Great was 2014 (against Suede) and he went on to do stunt work and other stuff. Suede had one 2021 match but he hadn't done much before that since 2015 when he was feuding with David Starr of all people. This show had Low Ki vs Kidman and Moore vs Noble (and even Rikishi/Samu vs Da Hit Squad) and I'm amused you gave me this, the opener, instead. By this point, they'd worked a lot with each other for the relative shortness of their careers, including in training I imagine (it's not a big leap). Suede had Ariel with him, Great Little Jeannie. They go Malenko/Guerrero for a bit with things they probably drilled a thousand times. Great was on his way when it came to filling time between moves and interacting with the crowd. I wouldn't say he was there yet, but he was on his way. I'm morbidly curious to see what 2015 Suede was like. In 2001, he had this way of squaring up for each of his moves (450, standing moonsault) like he was a gymnast, which is not something you see often, actually. Metal Maniac of all people was on commentary, doing the full gimmick and giving crap to the Samoans in the audience, which is a great look for a tribute show. They built to the biggest spot they had, which was Ariel's Molly-Go-Round press (with more of a rotation than Molly generally got on it) from the top to the floor onto Great and went right to the finish (a Suede Air Raid Crash) after, which was a good idea for an opener. They couldn't top what Ariel did. Two young guys, out there to impress and not embarrass themselves, on probably the biggest show they'd been on to that point, honoring someone they likely respected, going out and doing their best, with a lot of hard work and just enough shtick. It was a good effort and they could feel good about themselves for it the next day.

• Like 1

@Curt McGirt Oops, I totally missed that I was on double duty this week.  Luckily I've got another scorcher lined up: the one and only meeting between Low Ki and Ultimo Dragon.  Which takes place, as you can already probably guess, in Switzerland for what appears to be an Italian money mark fed.

• Haha 1

@Matt DTeriffic write up as per usual, and almost certainly the most thought anyone has put into a SLG/Suede match.  Cagematch says SLG wrestled a full 1/5 of his career matches against Suede, but I think that may be low as I know they toured this match around a bunch of little indies in the early 2000s. They're in my top echelon of indie curtain jerker guys since you can count on them at least being able to pull off the fancier timing-based stuff. 

I also have a big soft spot for Great's pun name, shiny outfit, and general schlubbiness.  Really a quintessential early-2000s indie guy.

• Thanks 1

Low Ki/Ultimo was fun. I expected an Indie Dream Match but instead it was an 8-minute Worldwide main event with cheering kids and house show workrate. Ki only threw one kick and Ultimo didn't even bust out the sleeper. At one point I decided to make my own Dusty commentary out loud. "Low-Keeee is a man who hath been known to have a chip on hith shouldah..." Anyway, a nice start to this season.

• Like 1