DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2021

The Natural

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Weird as it may sound, JDS is deserving of some recognition for being RotY. He wouldn't win it, but for a guy with zero matches going in to this year, I would now love to see more of him. 

I thought he overdelivered big time in that street fight. He deserves a shout for sure. Looked like the hardest part for him was not smiling the whole time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

Weird as it may sound, JDS is deserving of some recognition for being RotY. He wouldn't win it, but for a guy with zero matches going in to this year, I would now love to see more of him. 

That's not ridiculous at all because as far as legit rookies go he's as close as you can get I guess.  He looked impressive, and he also looked like he totally got it and was really having a great fucking time.  He's past his time as a top heavyweight fighter in MMA, but if he'd gone into rasslin a decade ago he would have been a huge star.  He was in MMA and def made more money doing that, but I'd love to see more of him in AEW

I thought he was going to be at Triplemania but the internet is telling me no

• Like 4

15 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

That's not ridiculous at all because as far as legit rookies go he's as close as you can get I guess.  He looked impressive, and he also looked like he totally got it and was really having a great fucking time.  He's past his time as a top heavyweight fighter in MMA, but if he'd gone into rasslin a decade ago he would have been a huge star.  He was in MMA and def made more money doing that, but I'd love to see more of him in AEW

I thought he was going to be at Triplemania but the internet is telling me no

Konnan said the plan was to have JDS come out and challenge Cain Velasquez after Cain's match at TripleMania but that JDS couldn't do it due to having an upcoming boxing fight. 

6 minutes ago, Gorman said:

Did Billy Gunn's attack on Big Show ever lead to a match?

Nah. I think that was just a way to turn the Gunns heel. Either that, or they for whatever reason transitioned the original plan over to Darby/Sting. Wight had a match on Dark against two local guys at Grand Slam, which was like two weeks after, and Gunn Club was at ringside, but I don't believe he's wrestled since. 

22 hours ago, Gorman said:

Did Billy Gunn's attack on Big Show ever lead to a match?

It was fun waiting in line to get into the building Wednesday. I got to listen to folks talk about their expectations for the show. One of the prevailing theories was that Big Paul was gonna come out and even the odds for Sting and Darbs against the Ass Family.

• Like 1

Saw that the full-force Team Taz (Starks/Hobbs/Martin) have a match on Dark, I'm gonna need that Trios Tournament now. Them, Death Triangle, Superkliq, OC/Chuck/Wheeler, 2.0 + Garcia, Wingmen, Christian/JB/Luchasaurus (who I will privately refer to as "The Mormon Pterodactyl Choir"), let's push that button sooner or later.

• Like 5

What's the definition of rookie? If it's Rookie Rookie you've got some prelim people on Dark, Cargill, and Brock Anderson and who else? If it's young person new to the company but not wrestling, then you have Garcia and it's a whole different ballgame.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

I find it kinda funny that people start wondering aloud about AEWs finances every time they sign somebody, like Tony Nese is coming in with some sort of Brock Lesnar deal. 

I don't really get the uproar over the signing either. If he's a veteran worker who is coming in at a decent price and work as a safe lower card mechanic and get the younger talent ready for their next steps (which seems like it'd be the best use for him), then it's a great pickup. If they try to use him as a top 5 world title contender, then yeah, obviously it's an issue, but I have a lot of doubts that'll be what happens with him.

Not every AEW signing can be (or should be) a main event-level pickup. And if that's what AEW was looking for in this signing, how many veterans would be willing to step into that kind of role, or would turn it down because they want to be in a higher spot on the card rather than a mechanic role?

I think that's something we should take into consideration; what exactly is AEW looking for in this signing? Yes, he got a TNT title shot a few matches in, but that could easily be something to establish internal credibility before being shuffled down the card (which is classic booking of a mechanic role). If they were looking for a main eventer, it's the wrong choice. If they were looking for a mechanic... seems like a good pick to me.

2 hours ago, Dog said:

I imagine Nese and Buddy Murphy had a similar price tag.

They made the wrong call on this one. And I like Nese.

I disagree. For one, I would think Buddy had a higher asking price. Secondly, and I consider this a positive, Buddy can go around the world and get a bunch more seasoning and eventually end up in AEW as an upper middle card guy if not main event, whereas I, like @Stefanie the Human, think Nese will remain a solid hand/mechanic lower card dude. Think about somebody like Hangman and where he was in ROH versus where he grew to be with NJPW experience and a solid three-year build in AEW. I think Murphy/Matthews could get to a similar place in due time. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2

I thought the age gap between Nese and Matthews was big, but its only 3 years (Nese is 36 and Matthews is 33). So the perception of Nese as veteran mechanic and Matthews as young up and comer is... not perfect.

• Like 1