DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2021

The Natural

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

One involves a knife; the other does not.

I think it has been at least ten years since I last saw someone win by Peruvian Necktie and I think it was in WEC.

I think the last one in UFC was Misha Cirkunov on Jimmy Crute in 2019

Like most cool submissions, it looks way cooler when it's being applied for real. Looking at you, Hell's Gate.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

Yeah, Elsalvajeloco mentioned Cirkunov tapping Jimmy Crute a few posts back.

Okay, the PN I saw ten years ago wasn't in WEC, it was in Bellator.

I remember it because the guy tapping to the Peruvian Necktie... is from Peru.

50 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Like most cool submissions, it looks way cooler when it's being applied for real. Looking at you, Hell's Gate.

I think that UT had a perfectly fine looking work gogoplata.   It looked nearly as good as an actual gogo.

My problem with the Hell's Gate finisher was UT working off of his back and the ref checking for the tap instead of making sure UT's shoulders weren't on the mat. 

Edited by J.T.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think that UT had a perfectly fine looking work gogoplata.   It looked nearly as good as an actual gogo.

All I got from this conversation is that Antony Ogogo needs a submission finisher and we need to call it the Ogogoplata. Sign me up Tony, I'm cheap!

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

"future"? What do you mean by that? 

He was trending #11 for a match announcement. Let this be the last time it's not #1. 

I was searching twitter for reactions and saw a clip and wish I hadn't. The one sequence I saw looked incredible. I am not ready. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

"future"? What do you mean by that? 

He was trending #11 for a match announcement. Let this be the last time it's not #1. 

I was searching twitter for reactions and saw a clip and wish I hadn't. The one sequence I saw looked incredible. I am not ready. 

I'm sure you saw this but here's a Twitter account who's sole purpose is to spam the Punk clip yelling "Send Hook!"  Have a feeling you'll like this.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 10:26 AM, JLowe said:

9. Thunder Rosa v Sofia Castillo. I like Thunder Rosa a lot, like many here. Fun little match, weird convoluted submission finisher and why is it called a Peruvian Necktie?

It should be called the Peruvian Calavera Choke, according to Rosa.

• Like 2

I haven't watched last night's show yet and am actively avoiding spoilers, so please bear that in mind.

So Hook is really Taz's kid and has never actually wrestled? He's over on here as a joke because he wears a hoodie and eats chips? I'm totally lost.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I haven't watched last night's show yet and am actively avoiding spoilers, so please bear that in mind.

So Hook is really Taz's kid and has never actually wrestled? He's over on here as a joke because he wears a hoodie and eats chips? I'm totally lost.

A joke?!

aew-all-elite-wrestling.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Yea he’s reached meme status. Whether he actually achieves anything beyond that is up in the air. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to think of something comparable in wrestling history. When Virgil actually wrestled on TV for the first time? The way they treated Meng in the summer of 95? Certainly not how they debuted Dominik Mysterio. Maybe when Chyna debuted in ring?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RRR said:

Yea he’s reached meme status. Whether he actually achieves anything beyond that is up in the air. 

Well, if the tweets I've been bombarded with today are a glimpse into the future, the book at AEW should probably strap a rocket to Hook's back.  Barely any nerves at all and smooth execution.

I think AEW has learned the painful lessons of Jade Cargill and what happens when you send someone in too early.  Jade has gotten much better in the interim, but her early matches were painful to watch.  Red Velvet's JOTS work deserves as much credit for Jade's evolution as Fuego probably does for being the recipient of Hook's first beating.

What happens next is up to Hook.  I'd definitely book an angle where Ricky Starks is eventually tossed out on his ass in favor of Hook becoming the FTW champion or vacates the title in favor of Hook and remains with Team Taz.  It is a gimmick that writes itself.

The official Action Bronson video for the track that Hook is using as his entrance theme could be the greatest thing ever made.

Spoiler

Totally awesome and very NSFW~!!!!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm trying to think of something comparable in wrestling history. When Virgil actually wrestled on TV for the first time? The way they treated Meng in the summer of 95? Certainly not how they debuted Dominik Mysterio. Maybe when Chyna debuted in ring?

I was there for Meng in '95, he earned that meme.

• Like 2

I know he's become a meme, but I think Hook has a presence that is hard to duplicate. He's obviously got the looks. And now it would seem he can at least pull off a convincing squash. Sky is the limit for this guy. That they licenced a theme song for him (and what a choice!) suggests they are pretty heavily invested in him. Snowboi talked about Cody being the last pro wrestler but Hook has a twitter account with 6k followers and hasn't posted anything. 

5 hours ago, Leonidas said:

All I got from this conversation is that Antony Ogogo needs a submission finisher and we need to call it the Ogogoplata. Sign me up Tony, I'm cheap!

I have no idea why the Ogogoplata is not a real thing.  It definitely should be

• Like 2

Bare with me here..,because the alternative means that I live in a world with no God (your pick) and the world is just random chaos before we die.

What if…What if Cody’s neck tattoo is fake?  Besides restoring my faith in humanity to not get the fucking ugliest tattoo in the spot most likely to get the maximum number of stares…I would also be  a less ashamed to be a Cody fan.

The exact BTE episode that unleashed the American Nightmare ink on a poor and unsuspecting fanbase is wiped from my memory.  What I do remember thinking back then was “Cody had everything.  Now he has fucked it all up!”  Cody Rhodes, lower tier five tool player, has severely jeopardized how everyone judges his image, his integrity, his intelligence, his sanity, his future drawing ability and his mind for the biz overall.  

Maybe it is some kind of Cody Derangement Syndrome that caused me to reach for such an unlikely explanation.  Maybe it makes sense in the only place things make sense inside Cody’s head.

It would really involve some inhuman foresight on Cody’s part.  Would he do it just to plan for his heel turn three years later?

Getting that tattoo put a screeching halt to this hot streak Cody was enjoying pretty much since his release from Stardust Prison.  From that point on I had a hard time as a fan being as enthusiastic for Cody’s matches, angles or promos.

Again, I don’t really believe this myself. It simply makes the most sense in a world that that doesn’t make any sense at all anymore.

That world in question is of course…Cody’s World.  

Makes sense to me.

• Like 1

(Ducks) I would actually welcome AEW signing Johnny Gargano. Again, I stopped watching NXT during the summer of 2019, but I really enjoyed his run from 2016 until I stopped watching, with the DIY team and then feud with Ciampa (though I will agree that the matches got progressively worse as the feud went on, but still all pretty good), brief heel run at the end of 2018, and the title win over Adam Cole at Mania Takeover in 2019 as a face again. Not quite sure where on the card I would slot him (definitely would bring him in as a face), but I would make room for him somewhere. Of course, as a big fan of NXT from the end of 2014 till the summer of 2019, I'd sign most all of the top guys from that roster if available (Baron Corbin the lone exception).

Honestly, Gargano seems like a slam dunk. He became too repetitive, but his work with The Way showed versatility and he has the indie street credibility that AEW fans love. He'll also never be the focus of the promotion so he won't be overexposed like he was.

• Like 1