DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2021

The Natural

17 hours ago, DEAN said:

I so love the Ass Boys. They are dueling NWO Buff Bagwells- especially future superstar Austin Gunn.  And Tay looked great all fired up tonight.  Darius Lockhart is so great.

I actually like the Ass Boys too, just not their old man. NWO Buff is a great comparison for their goofy heel muscleboy act. 

• Like 2

I think I'm going to just really half ass this. I'm off this week.

Elevation 12/27

Dark Order vs Some Guys: Look, the first few matches, I was really cracking up over Kingston and Henry on commentary. Them trying to figure out who Fodder was here was good stuff. I thought we were going to get the full nelson too so I was with Kingston and Tony there. The rapid fire Dark Order stuff works very well in this setting. I don't know when Kingston started going off on Jason Hervey as a judge but that cracked me up.

Thunder Rosa vs Dani Mo: Commentary was again very distracting as you had Sterling and Jade out there, with Henry drooling over Jade. Kingston showing relief when it was over because everyone would leave was funny. Everything Rosa did looked good but I couldn't tell you what any of it was.

Ogogo vs Mitchell: Tony being excited about knowing the name of Ogogo's new move was also pretty funny, and it makes sense he'd use something based on QT. This was effective, whether or not Ogogo's in hot water.

Satana/Ortiz vs Myk/Moss: Best part here was Kingston calling all the moves before they happened and explaining Monkey. Kingston and Henry together just works better than Kingston and Wight for some reason. I have nothing to say about anything but commentary this week apparently.

Spears vs Moriarty: Actually, strike that. I liked this one a lot. I thought Spears grounded a lot of Moriarty's stuff so that it all worked better than usual. Spears always gives a huge effort but sometimes it's just too much. Good finishing stretch with the fight for various openings to the DVD. They did a good job putting Lee over on commentary after the match even in defeat.

Dark Order vs Gunn Club: Stu looked world class here. Weird production decisions in missing Billy (or one of the kids ripping up the sign). I love that charge through move as indicated above. There are certain things you can only do in trios matches and that's one of them. The Dark Order should be spending their time exploring that and leveraging how over they are and how inconsequential their matches are to keep leaning into fun moves like that. There's a time and place for everything. Kingston talking about how people just bounce off Billy as everyone kept diving at him was fun.

Tay/Jay vs Emi/Diamante: Still love Diamante's entrance. Kingston ribbing Tony about Tay's pump kick was a good act. I thought Anna and Tay had some very good tandem spots early but it sort of broke down later. Feels like a waste to have Tay take out Emi on the pose in such a low stakes setting but when will Emi actually be in a high stakes one? Good finishing bit with the entry point into the Queenslayer. Kingston giving the babyfaces crap for cheating first was good. And Kingston and Henry really going in on Posey was funny too.

Hardy vs Lockhart: I would have liked Matt to have more of a transformation within the match if he was going to be a hometown babyface. It was there and subtle I guess, with the posing post match. Lockhart had some good little manipulation bits but he was there to get Matt a bit of sympathy and then get crushed by him. Again, everyone going in on commentary on the crazy leg was as good as anything in the match.

Basically, just a fun commentary night. I'll be lazy for Dark tonight too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Jeez, Ortiz is shredded now.

He heard the commentary with JR jizzing over Santana’s “matinee idol looks” and felt left out!

16 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The second the hoisted the jobber up ("his mudder was a fodder!") I said out loud - "OK, now run through his legs and flip him". I've 100% seen the move before but I can't for the life of me remember where. My gut says early Dragon Gate? My brain says CHIKARA?

Definitely Chikara.  King dropped a BDK reference when they hit the move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Dark Order vs Gunn Club: Stu looked world class here. Weird production decisions in missing Billy (or one of the kids ripping up the sign). I love that charge through move as indicated above. There are certain things you can only do in trios matches and that's one of them. The Dark Order should be spending their time exploring that and leveraging how over they are and how inconsequential their matches are to keep leaning into fun moves like that. There's a time and place for everything. Kingston talking about how people just bounce off Billy as everyone kept diving at him was fun.

Repost to highlight this insight.  These Dark reviews are much appreciated.  

I love seeing the Ass Boys finally getting a fanbase.  Austin Gunn's overlooked potential was always as a heel, and he's working out nicely here.  Colton too.  Both are fun.  I see a bit of that (huge compliment of) nWo Buff Bagwell.  Speaking of oft overlooked: Buff Bagwell '96-98.  Had the top $pots not been $poken for, during that period, he would have been a huge star.  Some performers have 'no business' being babyfaces both the Gunns and Bagwell are great examples.

In time, I'd love to see some of these mid and lower card AEW guys find their way on loan for some New Japan tours.  Stu Grayson in particular.

• Like 4

AEW DARK:REGULAR HOLIDAY BASH

It's nice to have time to watch these live, and also to write them up.

Reka Tehaka vs Dark Order’s Anna Jay (w/ Tay Conti)

Tehaka is such a good fit for the role of putting over AEW's women on Dark. She has a good look and some nice intensity. Makes everyone who beats her look strong.

Hey! Spears grew back his facial hair! That was fast.

The Blade (w/ The Bunny) vs Toa Liona

I think AEW should sign Toa Liona. Every fed needs a couple of 300-pound Pacific Islanders. Leona is a good 300 pounds, believably indestructible. Bunny was great in her role, and Blade going to the international object so quickly made sense, given Leona's abovementioned good 300 pounds.

Casanova vs Wardlow

I loved Wardlow just brushing off the dropkicks. Every week, I grow happier with my recent name change. 

I liked Anthony Greene getting some mic time. 

Shawna Reed vs Diamante

A nice little back and forth match after a bunch of straight up squishies. A dropkick into the corner is a nice, understated finisher.

Anthony Greene vs Tony Nese

In a kayfabe sense, Greene is so energetic and fun and I hoped he'd pull off the upset. In a kayfabe-breaking sense, I loved how much Nese gave to Greene and how he sold for him without looking weak. The finish was suitably brutal-looking.

KiLynn King vs The Bunny (w/ The Blade)

I liked the Blade returning the favour by being in Bunny's corner. KiLynn King is also pretty great in this role. Bunny's strength is being naturally unlikable, and King made her look fierce as well.

Bear Country (Bear Boulder & Bear Bronson) vs The Acclaimed (Max Caster & Anthony Bowens)

This was great. I will pop so huge when BC finally get a big win.

Everyone loves The Acclaigackkk ?

Actually that's a marsupial ?

Panda's over like Rover ?

Skye Blue vs Ashley D’Amboise

She doesn't get paid by the minute!

The Wingmen’s “Pretty” Peter Avalon & Cezar Bononi vs Orange Cassidy & Wheeler Yuta

I miss JD Drake. Bononi has really improved! He looked great here. Very fun match.

No DQ/No Count-Out/No Rules Match – Joey Janela (w/Kayla Rossi) vs Sonny Kiss

I like how this whole tale has unfolded (mainly?) on the YouTube shows. Kayla Rossi is pretty great. Janela looks like he's getting in better shape. Kiss' street fight gear was perfect. a couple of insane table spots in this one. Best Janela has looked in AEW, I'd say.

Edited by Gordlow
"live" not "love" though there's nothing wrong with love
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I believe they're doing Dark tapings tonight in Jacksonville ahead of Dynamite/Rampage tomorrow. So, spoilers.

Spoiler

Jake Atlas is unretired, I guess? And after his match, TK came out and shook his hand. People online are taking this to mean he's signed.

• Like 2

Elevation highlights, as mentioned above, were mostly on commentary. Good showing by Dark Order in two trios matches, and I’ll give Billy Gunn credit for selling for Alan Angels and being minimally involved in the match overall.

Spears-Moriarty was solid but wrong guy went over in my opinion.

Hardy gave Lockhart a lot of offense to start, topped by a gnarly looking submission hold...which Hardy immediately followed by no-selling and going into his 5 moves of doom. Weak, I know you’re hometown baby face tonight but sell a little.

TayJay vs. Emi/Diamanté could have been good but wasn’t. I don’t know, nothing clicked.

• Like 1