DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2021

The Natural

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

HOOK v Hangman confirmed?

Anxious Millennial Cowboy vs Voice of the Zoomer generation? 

44 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Im kinda shocked that they only got a 1 hour slot for a quarterly special. 

I'd guess each championship gets defended so you get 4 matches going about 12-15

6 hours ago, JLowe said:

Thunder Rosa billed from Tijuana but waving a Texas flag and getting cheered by that weird-ass Texas crowd.

I mean, Garland is a weird place in all fairness. Thank goodness Mark was there to explain the difference between a Native Texan and a Texas resident to hopefully quash any confusion by non-Texans. Also Eddie saying "I thought she was from the graveyard of Mexico" got a pop out of me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Weak.

I dunno, I wouldn't want every belt defended on a one hour show. They've just established that a match between two elite wrestlers can take a full hour, cramming four ten minute matches into one show would suck. A two hour show, sure.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 2

Dark Elevation 12/20/21

Emi/Nyla/Bunny vs Three Unfortunate Young Women: I was wondering what the point of these three vs enhancement talent was and now I see that it was to have Ruby in the booth talking up their TBS title match. As such, the announcers weren't too focused on the match itself, though at big points of impact (like Bunny tossing one into the other with a goofy but fun body press, or her move in the corner that was pretty nasty, or Emi's senton) they tuned back in. I thought the sort of metallic looking gear on one of them stood out but I couldn't tell you which so maybe it didn't matter. The heels have good chemistry at this point. I kind of love them clapping along with Emi. It'd be better if no one else in there was. Weird popping up after the first power bomb from one of the enhancement talent but she got beast bombed after as they set up the Ruby match. Maybe she was just too eager to set that up. Weird but fun mauling overall.

Red Velvet vs Madi Wrenkowski: Pretty good one here. I thought mostly everything hit well. Velvet really takes things with an extra oomph and she was flying around the ring when it was time for her comeback. Final Slice didn't look as good as usual. That's the thing with the snap way she puts it on. If it hits quick it looks way better than the play of the day ever does normally. If not, though? Extra shout for the high quality non-performance center elbow drop by Wrenkowski and Eddie on commentary saying that he used to use elbow drops but now he just bites people.

Bear Country vs Chaos Project: I've been looking forward to this one for a few days and it didn't disappoint. I continue to get a kick out of Serpentico. He's just completely in the moment at all times and ends up bumping for everyone. Luther worked big to start this off and he should probably try that at little more. Obviously Serpentico was bumping around for everyone (including his own partner) and there were some pretty fun spots in there. I guess they were heating the Bears up for Hook on Xmas but they didn't mention it. I'm looking forward to that one too though.

Andrade vs Kaun: My first look at Kaun. Boy is Andrade's entrance long, but I like that it gives Jose a reason to exist. Eddie complaining about them mentioning football accolades is one of my favorite thing. I hope he gets to announce with JR some day and just craps all over football. Kaun didn't have a lot of chance to show much here. I'd be up for seeing more based on what people are saying though. The little bit of fire early with the slap was good and it popped everyone in the booth but it lit a fire under Andrade to the point where, post match, he was still rubbing his face. Andrade did my two favorite things of his here, those elbows in the corner and that killer double stretch arm submission. I liked the struggle for Kaun's lungblower thing, but this was all pretty inevitable. I do think Andrade's pretty good at these enhancement matches though. Happy to give him credit.

Rosa vs Rodriguez: Little bit similar structure to the last one where Rodriguez got in a chop and then Rosa took her out. To be fair, Rodriguez got a little more but not much. I like how Rosa will take something and come right back. She knows how to portray herself as a star and a force. The set up to the 619 position worked out well here. That's always something I look for. Solid and got the job done.

Dark Order (10, Uno, Stu) vs HFO (Matt, Kassidy, Blade): In general, I like how Kassidy carries himself. He gets it. You can just tell he's a fan and he loves to be there. I really hope they keep developing him. Uno is smart enough not to do the "Catch foot, hand to ref" spot every match but to switch it up by doing other things with the foot like he did here. The early Twist of Fate on the floor after Matt broke up the double team was a nice little structural beat which masked the fact they actually didn't have a ton of time here and made everything feel weightier. Fans got behind Uno in the stretch and I think everyone bought the Side Effect near fall, and when's the last time that won a match. Fun trios where everyone looked pretty good.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I mean, Garland is a weird place in all fairness. Thank goodness Mark was there to explain the difference between a Native Texan and a Texas resident to hopefully quash any confusion by non-Texans. Also Eddie saying "I thought she was from the graveyard of Mexico" got a pop out of me.

I should remember that Garland isn't a true Dallas suburb but more of a small town that became a Dallas suburb (and the inspiration for Arlen in King of the Hill).

I love Mark Henry. He's from far southeast Texas and still has a lot of that country boy in his personality. I saw him in person once at the Austin airport with his family and of course i didn't bother him but he was the largest person I've ever seen and every bit the gentle giant.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JLowe said:

love Mark Henry. He's from far southeast Texas and still has a lot of that country boy in his personality. I saw him in person once at the Austin airport with his family and of course i didn't bother him but he was the largest person I've ever seen and every bit the gentle giant.

I completely forgot to mention this but I was way into the exchange last week where Kingston's going off about how good of a striker Ogogo is, and he says "He'll knock you right out!" and Henry goes "Who?!"

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Andrade vs Kaun: My first look at Kaun. Boy is Andrade's entrance long, but I like that it gives Jose a reason to exist. Eddie complaining about them mentioning football accolades is one of my favorite thing. I hope he gets to announce with JR some day and just craps all over football. Kaun didn't have a lot of chance to show much here. I'd be up for seeing more based on what people are saying though. The little bit of fire early with the slap was good and it popped everyone in the booth but it lit a fire under Andrade to the point where, post match, he was still rubbing his face. Andrade did my two favorite things of his here, those elbows in the corner and that killer double stretch arm submission. I liked the struggle for Kaun's lungblower thing, but this was all pretty inevitable. I do think Andrade's pretty good at these enhancement matches though. Happy to give him credit.

I was thinking similarily about Jose.  I like the odd second that doesn't do much of anything - see Kim Chee, or Friday as he was often known.  Further, the Andrade entrance would be fine if he had stronger more appropriate music.  Can somebody explain why Andrade has a Celtic sounding theme?  I want something that reminds me of Cocaine, fire arms and Pacino in Scarface.  More Moroder knock offs please.

Kaun seems like a nice prospect.  I'm not familiar.  Anybody have recommendations?

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I want something that reminds me of Cocaine, fire arms and Pacino in Scarface.

I was just thinking the other day how the Gunn Club's theme sounds like a Moroder ripoff, exactly like something they'd play in that Scarface montage if they somehow lost the rights to "Push It To The Limit."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I was thinking similarily about Jose.  I like the odd second that doesn't do much of anything - see Kim Chee, or Friday as he was often known.  Further, the Andrade entrance would be fine if he had stronger more appropriate music.  Can somebody explain why Andrade has a Celtic sounding theme?  I want something that reminds me of Cocaine, fire arms and Pacino in Scarface.  More Moroder knock offs please.

Kaun seems like a nice prospect.  I'm not familiar.  Anybody have recommendations?

Here he is against Jacob Fatu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCeq2f3kAxQ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely loved seeing Jessica James pop up on Dark Elevation, even if it was for a 3 minute trios squash. One of my all time favorites and she hadn't done anything in a few years now so that was a cool surprise to see. I'd almost forgotten about her 2013/2014 Japan runs. Would love to see her more regularly again. Her two partners are both pretty new but had worked Thunder Rosa's Mission Pro recently, thought they looked good here too.  Kaun's had a pretty good year popping up in almost every TX indy randomly. 

• Like 3

• Tony Khan on Twitter regarding the Owen Hart Cup Tournament: “Tomorrow night on #AEWDynamite #HolidayBash LIVE on TNT @ 8ET/7CT/6MT/5PT we have a special video on the Owen Hart Cup Tournament including stars of multiple generations speaking about his legacy + footage of Owen wrestling in @njpw1972 & private home movies from Dr. Martha Hart!”
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1