DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2021

The Natural

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Again, well said.

One of my favourite matches of all time is The Wyatt Family vs. The Shield at Elimination Chamber 2014. Luke Harper was the clear Man of the Match with the wrestlers involved. Harper was incredible in this match. Gave it *****. My 2014 Match of the Year and in my Best WWE Matches (2010-2019), I had it second to only Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena at SummerSlam 2013, that was also *****.

100% and i'll be honest, i went back and rewatched it because of your talking it up so much on here(i forget when I did, but i know it was your influence), as this happened during my lapsed WWE viewing.

The match is absolutely incredible.  Side note, it's crazy to think that Roman and Rollins are the only ones left in WWE out of those 6, when all of them(I even include Rowan as his work with Daniel Bryan showed) should've been or be top tier talents in WWE right now(Jon's illness notwithstanding)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

100% and i'll be honest, i went back and rewatched it because of your talking it up so much on here(i forget when I did, but i know it was your influence), as this happened during my lapsed WWE viewing.

The match is absolutely incredible.  Side note, it's crazy to think that Roman and Rollins are the only ones left in WWE out of those 6, when all of them(I even include Rowan as his work with Daniel Bryan showed) should've been or be top tier talents in WWE right now(Jon's illness notwithstanding)

Glad I could help. Cheers.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

So just by coincidence, when out doing errands yesterday, I had finished the Brodie AEW Unrestricted and started the Amanda Huber one. I'd held off on both of them for a while, but got through enough that it just seemed like time. I just finished that and I think I need a bit before I read that article. I suggest that people seek both podcasts out if they haven't heard them and they care about Brodie as a wrestler or a person.

• Like 3

In an SI interview (https://www.si.com/wrestling/2021/12/13/ring-of-honor-final-battle-champion-jonathan-gresham), current ROH champion Jonathan Gresham elaborates on his plan to keep defending the title (only under Pure rules), saying he needs to wrestle both CM Punk and Bryan Danielson to keep the spirit and essence of the company alive. 

Obviously there's precedent for a traveling third-party champion losing their title on an AEW show, and if ROH is ever to reboot the exposure would be tremendous. But I wonder if -- even with the Pure rules offering something different, and the name having some lingering cache -- AEW would see real value in a potential defense/exchange. (Although, Punk is basically defending the 'being CM Punk' title in one-offs already, and Danielson could certainly showcase tons of challengers once he presumably fails to unseat Page. So.)

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Probably answered somewhere already, but where has Justin Roberts been lately?

No idea, but on Dynamite the announcers said their thoughts were with Justin and JR, but didn't specify what was going on with Justin. 

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

Sorry to break up the Huber talk, but I was shocked when I saw this:

Legitimately thought they had TK, Taz, and a bunch of the old heads coming up with ideas for him. Nope.

Reason #1,245,555 why WWE ‘Creative’ sucks. Can you imagine what they’d have this kid do?

Hook had a wonderful debut. Cheers for him and any other talent that can shine on their own and create their own IP.

• Like 2

Elevation 12/13

The truck was yelling at Eddie in segment one.

They have to roll out one title at a time, but they’re either building a Women’s Tag division or I’m not sure what they’re intending with these tag squashes (outside of getting more wrestlers on the card.)

Aubrey turning heel not letting Billy give the people what they want…which is apparently old syringe-marked asses. 

No one joined Emi and Mei in the Queen taunts. Everything Punk said about Long Island is true! 

I checked out on wrestling during the pandemic shows, so I haven’t seen much Ogogo. I like him more than I expected, but with the roster right now they’re probably just heating him up for someone with whom they actually have plans. 

Nese needs to change his finish and stop doing the double leap moonsault. It’s already Dante’s finish and Dante does it better. One day Solo will cut that wet mane and get a Kaz haircut to give himself a fresh start, which will be hampered by him still being Aaron Solo.

Edit: Alex Reynolds, not Solo. I mixed up my bland long haired guys. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 1

Elevation 12/13

Thunder Rosa vs Gabby Ortiz: Some hard shots by Ortiz. This ended pretty abruptly after that. One dropkick. One Fire Thunder Driver. Normally I'd wonder if Rosa got irked by things but it was probably cut short since she had the promo and Jade stuff after the match. I wouldn't have minded seeing it go longer.

Statlander/Velvet vs Duke/San Antonio: Pretty good chemistry between Statlander/Velvet. It works better if you picture Velvet as an earthling trying to explain our ways to an alien. Good tandem stirring and boops. The best part of this, even better than the pinballing kicks into the Big Bang Theory was Eddie losing it when Statlander accidentally poked Velvet in the face. The worst part was absolutely Velvet somehow forcing Duke and San Antonio to  give one another a Flatliner. They were ok, by the way, sort of a Glamour Girls style of trying to cut off the ring.

Gunn Club vs Zambrano, Tomlinson, Sweets: I liked the minute we saw of Tomilson at the beginning. He had a good plucky babyface vibe. This was the best Colton performance I've seen. He was really feeling it both in the ring and on the apron. The personality gap between him and Austin was far less noticeable than usual. Austin refusing to do anything, Billy refusing to hit the rocker dropper, and then Austin running in and doing it was a nice little bit of shtick.

Emi vs Mimi: Good use of Mei here. She makes for a better Sherri than Lulu, who just has too good a heart or some such. I don't think the announcers ever quite get the memo that Emi's gimmick and the whole Queen thing is attached to the band, but she exists sort of in her own world on these YouTube shows, even as she still somehow teams with every heel on the roster but Britt and her crew. Mimi had a good flurry in the middle but hit Emi in the face once and it didn't go so well for her after that.

Ogogo vs Valo: Valo being so excited to be on YouTube was good stuff. He knew what he was out to do and out to be, and he ran right into a couple of shots from Ogogo and that was that. At least they got over his finish better than the announce team did last week.

Santana/Ortiz vs Verna and Gangone: Eddie was excited to see Nana.  Funniest bit was Tony telling Kingston that Morton and Gibson were doing fine. Match was the usual Santana/Ortiz noise but Gangone really took the cutter well. Beautiful faceplant.

Reynolds vs Nese: Important match for both guys. Good for Nese for the attack from behind to immediately establish heel/face dynamics despite the hometown buzz. Reynolds vs Solo is AEW purgatory but ask me again in six months and it might be this. Eddie did a good job getting over how well these guys know each other and it did play out in the match and I'd say never to the point of annoyance. They did a pretty good job with it. Reynolds is a guy seasoned enough to know to work up with the crowd out of a hold which is always refreshing in AEW. Nese's moonsault ended up way too low and he probably should have course corrected a bit afterwards by selling, especially since Reynolds' moonsault onto the up-knees led to the finish. It could have let it all matter more, but that's a big ask for two guys in front of a huge hometown crowd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

This. I was so fucking pissed.

There's no legit reason for him not to be there. None. The story and crowd response was RIGHT THERE and WWE just said "fuck it" and put him in a god damn battle royal. Makes no damn sense

• Like 2

I know absolutely nothing about sneakers and get weird about shoes that cost even $70.  But I'm glad to see the Bucks getting more recognized for their sneaker game and the YT comments are very positive.

As for Elevation it was a short one but had some fun moments.  I can't remember at the moment who it was but Rosa had some nice cosplay going on with her gear.

• Like 1

I will say from watching some of the blogs that I hope the likes of Guevara aren't spending all their money on sneakers and shit. Fair if Tony is giving up some drip money, and I get people with a couple of dimes to rub together for the first time might want to floss a bit - but save that shit or you will rue the day and on that day Danhausen will be on his blimp and laughing.

• Like 1