DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2021

The Natural

AEW has to start getting away from the workrate heavy signees. Get O’Reilly Bc he and fish are something else together. But at what point does it start to homogenize? If you bring them in, it’s imperative that you also get Keith Lee.

55 minutes ago, just drew said:

AEW has to start getting away from the workrate heavy signees. Get O’Reilly Bc he and fish are something else together. But at what point does it start to homogenize? If you bring them in, it’s imperative that you also get Keith Lee.

Some of the last decade’s Indy stars in AEW should hypothetically get more character time there than elsewhere.  There are barely any guys/gals in AEW that are Baron Corbin, Enzo, Mr. Kennedy, giant project #284 or Eva Marie.  There are hardly any freak show types, loudmouths who can only talk, inexperienced giants, diva search types, purely muscle heads or endless numbers of wrestlers who aren’t also huge fans.

I would hope that AEW’s much better roster would create a locker room of friends and foster competition that pushes everyone to improve.   Ten or more years into their careers KOR, Fish, Gargano, Nese and others probably haven’t had a chance to show more personality or develop a gimmick.  Hopefully the many retired veterans can help plan promos or work on characters with those that want and/or need it.
Keith Lee would probably still classify as a workrate heavy signee, wouldn’t he?  I’ve heard that he can do more but I haven’t seen him outside of ROH.

The next batch will undoubtedly be more than just ripped shorter dudes who had been better off in Japan before there was an AEW. Hopefully the future AEW can wrangle Kevin Owens/Steen, Danhausen, Brody King, Jonathan Gresham, Sami Zayn, Tomasso Ciampa, Mike Bailey, Jay & Mark Briscoe, Bandido, Dragon Lee and whoever else TK wants for his human wrestling menagerie.

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

I was thinking about that today.

I think I need to see Serena Deeb vs. an unbridled Masha Slamovich first in a Dark Elevation main event.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

The next batch will undoubtedly be more than just ripped shorter dudes who had been better off in Japan before there was an AEW. Hopefully the future AEW can wrangle Kevin Owens/Steen, Danhausen, Brody King, Jonathan Gresham, Sami Zayn, Tomasso Ciampa, Mike Bailey, Jay & Mark Briscoe, Bandido, Dragon Lee and whoever else TK wants for his human wrestling menagerie.

TNA signed Mike Bailey, for what it's worth.

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Ryo and Mei returned to Japan.

Emi is still here so we still have Lulu Pencil.

5 hours ago, KidNatural said:

Honestly, Gargano seems like a slam dunk. He became too repetitive, but his work with The Way showed versatility and he has the indie street credibility that AEW fans love. He'll also never be the focus of the promotion so he won't be overexposed like he was.

If it's true that Gargano's contract had no non-compete, then I think that Gargano is just going to take some time off since Candace is out on maternity leave and then sign a new contract.   I'll believe he's truly left WWE when he shows up in another promotion. 

Vince had done dumb shit in the past, but just letting Gargano show up on AEW next Wednesday thanks to the lack of a non-compete clause and hand TK ratings would be totally stupid.

Yes, I know I am making the classic blunder of giving VKM the benefit of being smart.

Edited by J.T.

17 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Wait, can companies put non compete clauses after expiration dates?! Like, firing is one thing (if they weren't independent contractors), but after letting a contract expire?! Come on.

There's nothing they can to about Gargano's contract now that it has expired.  I just think that he'll take some time off while Candace is out on maternity leave.  Then he'll sign a new deal with WWE since the feeling is that he is still on good terms with them, and he'll return at a later date.

I won't really think of Gargano as a free agent in the truest sense until he shows up someplace else.  The remaining members of The Way still have jobs despite being disbanded, so that may hint that Johnny will return and reform the stable at a later date.

Or they could all get shitcanned tomorrow and we'll be talking about this in the Forever Purge thread.  Vince certainly has no qualms with sending people home and then firing them.

Edited by J.T.

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There's nothing they can to about Gargano's contract now that it has expired.  I just think that he'll take some time off while Candace is out on maternity leave.  Then he'll sign a new deal with WWE since the feeling is that he is still on good terms with them, and he'll return at a later date.

Take another look at those pictures from after the show Tuesday. Those were "I'm never gonna see this place again" tears.

Yeah I don’t think Gargano would be crying like a baby on HBK’s shoulder if he knew he was just going to sign a new contract after the baby was born in a few months.

Besides, if he did sign with AEW, they’d have exactly zero problem letting him take a leave in early 2022 to spend time with his child. If he did that in WWE on the main roster, they’d probably call him up after two weeks saying they need him to put over Baron Corbin on short notice or something.

• Like 2

I suppose we'll find out next Wednesday.   TMK, Gargano has no non-compete clause and the Winter Is Coming show obviously would be an ideal time to put Gargano on camera.  O'Reilly may have to sit at home until after the new year.

Edited by J.T.

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Slamovich badly needs some bridling. Deeb would be good at helping her with match structure. 

I was speaking in terms of letting Masha get in some spots.  I think she got zero offense in the last AEW Dark squash I remember her being in.

Mat structure wise, yeah.  She could learn a lot from The Professor.

Edited by J.T.

6 hours ago, Dog said:

TNA signed Mike Bailey, for what it's worth.

I haven't seen Bailey since he had his visa troubles.  I just googled him and now I'm sad he no longer works in a gi and looks like a child. 

One of Excalibur's best calls on commentary: "Mike Bailey looks like a kid whose mother dropped him off for karate practice at the wrong building AND HE DECIDED TO STAY AND FIGHT GROWN MEN!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

I suppose we'll find out next Wednesday.   TMK, Gargano has no non-compete clause and the Winter Is Coming show obviously would be an ideal time to put Gargano on camera.  O'Reilly may have to sit at home until after the new year.

There's a big gulf of possibilities between "Garagano appears in AEW next week" and "Gargano re-signs with NXT in March to be a wrestler." Not an either/or.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

Kyle's contract expired...I'm pretty sure he would only have had to sit home and wait if he was released. But I could be wrong about that.

Think JT was meaning sit at home and wait to debut because Gargano gets the Winter is Coming debut, and they won't wanna debut someone on the Christmas shows. Not because of a no compete. Plus you figure they want someone new to debut on the first TBS show to give it the anything can happen feel.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Think JT was meaning sit at home and wait to debut because Gargano gets the Winter is Coming debut, and they won't wanna debut someone on the Christmas shows. Not because of a no compete. Plus you figure they want someone new to debut on the first TBS show to give it the anything can happen feel.

It sounds better when you explain it. 

Gargano didn't have a no compete in his contract so theoretically he could debut as soon as next Wednesday on the big Winter is Coming show, provided he's not staying at home with Candace while she's on maternity leave.  He could debut in AEW later after the birth of his child, or he may allow WWE to make him a counteroffer while he is getting ready to be a dad.

I am not sure about KoR's contract but if he has the standard 90 days, he won't show up anywhere until Late Winter / Early Spring 2021.

Edited by J.T.