DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2021

The Natural

18 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Yeah, the Peruvian necktie is a very much a real thing and was kinda an in vogue submission in the UFC for a tiny bit of time. Haven't seen one in a minute though.

Doing a search on the MMA forum here, the last successful one (and only one really) I have recorded is in September 2019 with Misha Cirkunov pulling off one on Jimmy Crute. Before that, Dustin Poirier tried one on Akira Corassani in 2014. I remember CB Dollaway getting at least one several years ago. I believe it's something you would see in grappling tournaments rather than the UFC level. 

• Like 3

I've never seen anyone hit one in a live sparring session. It's pretty much one of those things where you say "hey, there's this thing called the Peruvian Necktie. Here it is." 

The term "Peruvian Necktie" comes from the South American drug trade. Cartels killed snitches and thieves a certain way, and it was called a "Colombian Necktie," but seeing as how a lot of narcotic manufacturing took place in Peru, it's an easy stretch. 

Interestingly, most people who don't believe OJ killed Nicole and Ron believe the local drug cartel mistook Nicole for Faye Resnick and gave her a "Colombian necktie" because Faye owed them money. I don't personally believe that, but I've met several people that do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, just drew said:

I've never seen anyone hit one in a live sparring session. It's pretty much one of those things where you say "hey, there's this thing called the Peruvian Necktie. Here it is." 

The term "Peruvian Necktie" comes from the South American drug trade. Cartels killed snitches and thieves a certain way, and it was called a "Colombian Necktie," but seeing as how a lot of narcotic manufacturing took place in Peru, it's an easy stretch. 

Interestingly, most people who don't believe OJ killed Nicole and Ron believe the local drug cartel mistook Nicole for Faye Resnick and gave her a "Colombian necktie" because Faye owed them money. I don't personally believe that, but I've met several people that do.

Regarding the actual submission, if it happens to you in a real MMA fight, it's not good for your actual prospects of what you can do in MMA. I mean Jimmy Crute is not a bad fighter for those who don't watch UFC, but he's solidified at a certain level and it definitely ain't championship level. Now Akira Corassani....hell that was 2014 and Dustin Poirier hasn't fought anyone ranked that low since 2014/2015. I mean Corassani has been retired according to Google since 2015. Also, Dustin has fought a division up at 155 for several years since that fight. There was probably one attempted/successfully pulled off between 2014 and 2019, but I don't have it down. So yeah, it's not something you're going to see often.

As far as the actual name, I try to stay away from the cute name someone probably made up (not a submission but for example I believe the 10th planet BJJ/Eddie Bravo acolytes call rubber guard/mission control "Crackhead control") unless there is no other name. I mean I remember Tony DeSouza since he was tied in with BJ Penn during his UFC run, and I don't remember the term Peruvian necktie before him. So I have it down as that. I do, however, have a Japanese necktie submission recorded in 2015. It was done by a Brazilian fighter on I believe another Brazilian fighter. I'm guessing it has to do with the Yakuza much like the correlating South American drug cartel names.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JLowe said:

I watched the last couple of episodes of Dark yesterday evening and figured I'd post quick thoughts on the most recent (couldn't find the other mentions of the recent Dark matches).

12/7/21

1. Lee Moriarty v. Misterioso. I like Lee Moriarty, had a great match against Punk, where I was surprised how much Punk gave/sold for Lee. He paid that back here, with a really competitive but also kind of sloppy match. There were points where it looked almost like Misterioso wasn't cooperating, but I think they just weren't communicating/meshing well. They should give Lee a couple bigger name wins, and also better fitting gear.

2. Lio Rush v. Rayo. Someone posted here that Lio looks like a lot like Mascarita Sagrada with his ring outfit and I can't unsee it. Nice match, I like most of Lio's movez although a couple take some pretty contrived setups. Taz spent too much time putting Team Taz over, it's my one problem with having him as an active PBP guy who also is involved in angles as a manager of sorts.

3. Brandi Rhodes v. Angelica Risk. Risk's gimmick seems to be someone who left their shift as an exotic dancer whose routine is based on being a firefighter and went straight to the wrestling ring. She shakes her butt a lot while wearing some weird chap-like things, and has a top that keeps coming down (while also having cover underneath, this isn't WWE). Eh match.

4. Emi Sakura v. Ryo Mizunami. After a lot of tag and trio matches, we get a singles match that was heavy on shoulder blocks and chops and a little bit of a letdown. One moment where Ryo shows she's been learning from her many matches with Emi. Ending is building to an angle with Riho.

5. Anthony Ogogo v. Baron Black. Good match, full Worldwide Point, albeit with a badly botched Dragon Screw Leg Whip (I don't think Ogogo knew what was coming).

6. Wardlow and Spears v. local jobbers. Kinda bored of the Wardlow powerbomb symphony thing, but King sold like an absolute champ while taking three of them.

7. Fuego del Sol v. Luke Sampson. Sampson looks like the Fake Diesel from WWE but with blond hair. This match kind of played out like the Rey Mysterio vs. Nash matches, pretty basic little gut beats big guy match. I do like Fuego's double stomp thing.

8. Team Taz, with new member Dante Martin v. JT Dunn, Kekoa, and Omkar. Is Ricky Starks gimmick that he's a smaller version of The Rock, because that's how he comes off. Hobbs is a decent power guy. Dante does a few of his flying moves. Pretty basic squash, followed by an in-ring interview with Tony S. interrupted by Lio.

9. Thunder Rosa v Sofia Castillo. I like Thunder Rosa a lot, like many here. Fun little match, weird convoluted submission finisher and why is it called a Peruvian Necktie? Followed by an interview interrupted by Smart Mark and a sneak attack by Jade.

10. Johnny Hungee v. Aaron Solo. Another full Worldwide point. Silver has -1 with him. Silver does his muscle pose a lot. I like Silver as a JTTS, he would be a classic WCW Saturday Night main event guy. I think they're building up to a good match with Danielson that might even have a couple of hope spots in it.

Misterioso is a name, though mostly on NJPW USA shows.  I thought he was signed to NJPW.

• Like 1

All the Peruvian necktie conversation leads me to believe their is a family owned business in Lima who have been hand crafting the finest Peruvian Neck Ties for 200 years, and their Google algorithms are all messed up because of the UFC.

Also, Cody probably owns one of their fine, fine Peruvian Neck Ties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

We had this same conversation a month or two ago ?

One involves a knife; the other does not.

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, the Peruvian necktie is a very much a real thing and was kinda an in vogue submission in the UFC for a tiny bit of time. Haven't seen one in a minute though.

I think it has been at least ten years since I last saw someone win by Peruvian Necktie and I think it was in WEC.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Do we think Dante is going to turn on Team Tazz at an opportune moment in the battle royal? He hasn't done anything heelish yet. 

Also, Lee Moriarty's theme is my latest ear worm.

It is some sort of derivative remix something made from his indie walk-in music.

TK outright licenses Cult of Personality and Where Is My Mind, but Lee Moriarty gets a remix.. sorta.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

It’s different with Hook, because he can be the next Dwayne Johnson.

Yes, but Dwayne Johnson didn't start off as Dwayne Johnson.  He spent a few green days as Flex Kavala.

It will be Hook's first match so I am going in with low expectations and hope to be surprised.   His first opponent being Fuego is a plus because I trust Fuego to make Hook look like a million dollars and if Taz is your dad, you're not stepping into the ring unprepared.

Edited by J.T.

I have seen his entrance from various angles. I can confirm he's going to be a star and that I would've fought people in the crowd all night long had I been there. 

It’s different with Hook, because he can be the next Dwayne Johnson.

I don't like the tone of this. "Can be"? ??

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

Boo this man, HOOKers.

Because I think it would be better for him to have a debut that is the opposite of Jade Cargill's? 

You guys have set a high bar that I hope he clears with Fuego's help.

Edited by J.T.

11 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I have seen his entrance from various angles. I can confirm he's going to be a star and that I would've fought people in the crowd all night long had I been there. 

I don't like the tone of this. "Can be"? ??

It’s Hook’s choice, is what I meant.

I’ve seen the entrance video and dude is the living embodiment of swagger. And he’s over as fuck, too.

And I laugh at “with the help of Fuego”. Please. ??? Sorry, Miro, but Hook is why God abandoned you.

• Thanks 1