DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2021

The Natural

10 hours ago, Gordberg said:

Anytime I come on with you guys like all the aggregation sites will pick it up and pull the quotes out and look for anything juicy to say and often they’ll intentionally take the stuff out of context. They probably won’t use this quote because it talks about what they do. So I’m guessing this won’t make it onto the aggregation sites because it’s actually a very process oriented quote describing the process of running a wrestling aggregation site and taking people out of context, which is an art that they’ve mastered.

I love this quote.  And it's not just wrestling sites now.  I uninstalled my phone's news app and rarely read news online anymore because it's either all gotcha headlines that only technically connect to the content of the actual story, or controversial~! stories disingenuously created out of whole cloth from misapplied quotes.  One one hand, we're criticizing people for living in bubbles where they pick and choose news from questionable sources like reddit or social media, but on the other hand, "real" journalism has become garbage infotainment.  It all sucks and this has been my ted talk.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

Hate it for Jack, but his instincts are probably correct. This AEW run never came together for him. Angelico had a moment where it seems like he might have something as a single, but even that seems to have dried up.

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, EVA said:

Hate it for Jack, but his instincts are probably correct. This AEW run never came together for him. Angelico had a moment where it seems like he might have something as a single, but even that seems to have dried up.

Sucks, Id love to have seen either guy mix it up with Danielson, especially Angelico. 

• Like 2

Elevation 12/6/21:

Riho vs Risk: The set up for the running hip attack was too long for something that's going to work. If I'm frustrated by Emi doing it, I'm going to be triple frustrated with Risk doing it. Good trash talk by Risk though. I liked the fight for the Northern Lights Suplex and this time I was ok with it not finishing it since the knees to the face looked great and popped the announcers.

Dustin/Johnson/Anderson vs Avalon/Cesar/JD Drake: This was good stuff. Full Armstrongs vs State Patrol Worldwide point (though one of the Armstrongs was Brian). The opening with Avalon feeding for Johnson made me want to see a 14 minute Punk vs Avalon Dynamite match. Why the hell not at this point? Once Brock came in, he was a solid face-in-peril just getting beaten around the ring in a nice, logical fashion. Drake always looks good. Made me look to see if Dustin ever faced a post-turn Ray Traylor in WCW. Answer is no, which is sad. The punch fake/DDT by Anderson is cute and you think it's too early in his career for him to be doing that but then you also think he'd be watching his dad's stuff, so maybe not. Finishing stretch was hot with Dustin crushing everyone, Lee doing an amazing almost double clothesline tope, Anderson leaping off the apron so that the camera barely caught it and then almost getting Drake around with the spinebuster and Dustin's super sharp finisher. Fun stuff. Bring on Avalon vs Punk.

Pillman vs Serpentico: I will always be amused by how Julia puts herself over in the entrance with the two time thing even when she's just seconding Pillman. This was fun but needed more antics. The Vader Attack to start with hilarious and yeah, he got slammed by Luther to set up the finish, but it needed more goofiness. Loved his twisting flip sell on a clothesline. Pillman as a wrestler, can be summed up by his three point stance corner charge where he made it in, realized that he was coming in too hot, slowed himself down, and then kind of gingerly hit the corner clothesline. Very unfortunate. Very typical of him.

Factory vs Black, Hoodrich, Vincita, Munoz: Not particularly coherent other than the opening bits with Comoroto and Solo. I've never seen Ogogo before and he no sold a move, showed some attitude, and hit that punch, so I can't tell you anything about him as a wrestler yet. I like the ham and egger that QT gave the diamond cutter too. Quality jobber look there.

Emi/Bunny vs Ryo/Abadon: No way, no how should Abadon come out of the babyface side. She should go through the middle, Cody's gimmick be damned. Not a person, a force of nature. I've never heard Ryo's music before but it was funny to see Abadon come out to it. Ryo's first reaction to seeing Abadon was gold as was her hesitant clapping post match. Bunny starting out fearless and getting scared as nothing she was doing worked was good stuff. I don't think Allie gets enough credit for how she takes offense.
The corner moment with Abadon after the We Will Rock You body press (and Bunny hyping it up from the corner too) is the sort of thing that makes watching all of these random women's tags worth watching week in and week out.

Luchasaurus/Jungle Boy vs Tate Brothers: I don't actually get to see these guys that often. Tate Brothers were just happy to be there but hit some fun tandem stuff and at least bumped huge on the big double clothesline from out of the corner (loved Jungle Boy's reaction to that too). Jungle Boy has a way of doing silly bounding but then recoiling back to hit hard, and so long as that's the case, I don't really mind it. I was informed that Luchasaurus wasn't great at working to his size but he seems better about that lately maybe? Less dumb kicks and more tossing people around and crashing into them? That finisher was amazing, one of the best new ones I've seen in years (but I'd believe you if you told me that the Christopher Street Connection were doing it to Special K in 2002 or something). I went batch and watched the thing three times.

Acclaimed vs Bravo/Dean: Got to feel bad that even on the webshow, they don't show Dean/Bravo's entrance. Not Caster's best rap. Dean had some weird motions in there between the overshooting splash off the top and that nasty bump when Caster took him out during the 10 count punch. I want to see Bowens vs Kingston just to see what Eddie would do with his flurry. Caster kissing the hand during the three count was pretty funny.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I was informed that Luchasaurus wasn't great at working to his size but he seems better about that lately maybe? Less dumb kicks and more tossing people around and crashing into them?

From what I've seen out of him lately, it does feel like the pendulum swung a bit more towards him being meaner and less ostentatious with half speed kicks. I think he botched one of his kicks a month or two ago on tv and either somebody had a word or he realized himself what needed to be done. I hope that's the case but I noticed it too on the ppv. Still think he could lean more into it though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

From what I've seen out of him lately, it does feel like the pendulum swung a bit more towards him being meaner and less ostentatious with half speed kicks. I think he botched one of his kicks a month or two ago on tv and either somebody had a word or he realized himself what needed to be done. I hope that's the case but I noticed it too on the ppv. Still think he could lean more into it though. 

Once they hired Danielson, Luchasaurus' "slo motion Stan Lane, showing more light than a 100 watt bulb" offense wasn't going to fly anymore.  Glad he recognized the need to switch it up.  Play to your strengths.  When you're one of the biggest guys on the roster, work like that, not like a worse version of Speedball Mike Bailey.

• Like 3

Good to hear. As for Evans, he should have had a babyface turn out of the hair match loss even if it was just to have a small program to put over someone from the HFO. Why lose your hair if you're not going to get a program out of it.

• Like 3

Not getting Jack Evans to be Jack Evans and the Hybrid 2's entire run is definitely a failing of AEW. I hate to see Jack like this. If this is true, then I hope he and Angelico can recapture their mojo in AAA or elsewhere. The world deserves From the Heavens Jack Evans.

• Like 3

I'm sure it's more actual sadness as he'll likely never get another big shot than a wish for AEW to do anything else. Cutting his hair and giving him no follow-up kinda sucks but he's had a steady paycheck for 2 1/2 years and I'm sure he sees it that way too to some extent.

(Edit: I know nothing about AAA, hope he can indeed get back there)

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, EVA said:

In fairness to AEW, Jack has been pretty candid on his Twitter about a lot of his problems starting/sustaining positive momentum in AEW being due to his own physical/mental health, at various points.

He's also 39 years old with a lot of mileage on his bump card. It would have been awesome if AEW was around when Jack Evans was in his prime, and I've generally enjoyed TH2 as a team, but I am also not losing sleep if AEW moves in from him or some of the others mentioned here (though I think they should keep Sonny Kiss). In general, I think that that AEW has been fair about featuring the original and homegrown stars that have gotten over (Sammy Guevara, Darby Allin, Jungle Boy, Orange Cassidy, John Silver/Dark Order) and that the cream has risen to the top and the others have faded in the background. Also, it is good to regularly cycle wresters in and out of the company to keep things fresh, and I think that AEW has been great this year about adding to all levels of the card/company (Punk/Bryan/Cole as top of the card guys, Bobby Fish and Jay Lethal in the mid card, and then guys like 2.0 and likely Nese as lower card guys).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

He's also 39 years old with a lot of mileage on his bump card. It would have been awesome if AEW was around when Jack Evans was in his prime, and I've generally enjoyed TH2 as a team, but I am also not losing sleep if AEW moves in from him or some of the others mentioned here (though I think they should keep Sonny Kiss). In general, I think that that AEW has been fair about featuring the original and homegrown stars that have gotten over (Sammy Guevara, Darby Allin, Jungle Boy, Orange Cassidy, John Silver/Dark Order) and that the cream has risen to the top and the others have faded in the background. Also, it is good to regularly cycle wresters in and out of the company to keep things fresh, and I think that AEW has been great this year about adding to all levels of the card/company (Punk/Bryan/Cole as top of the card guys, Bobby Fish and Jay Lethal in the mid card, and then guys like 2.0 and likely Nese as lower card guys).

He was doing just fine in PWG prior to signing with AEW. Not the same Jack Evans as 2006, but certainly looked a lot better than what he's shown in AEW. He at least had the character work down there.

I've been a fan of Evans since first seeing him circa 2004. It's a shame he never caught on in AEW or got more to do as he's a really talented guy. It sucks he's had some personal issues, but the inconsistent pushes TH2 got didn't help either.

Angelico did a great job of getting some momentum, even in that time where he was primarily working singles. They were pushing him as being able to pull his lucha submissions out of nowhere and his style did well to differentiate him on the roster. Hell, his goofy rave dancing entrance was even getting over.

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Not getting Jack Evans to be Jack Evans and the Hybrid 2's entire run is definitely a failing of AEW. I hate to see Jack like this. If this is true, then I hope he and Angelico can recapture their mojo in AAA or elsewhere. The world deserves From the Heavens Jack Evans.

I'm not sure if Jack Evans of 2021 can be Jack Evans.  He seems to have checked out/aged out.  I'll think fondly of his career, but he's well past his prime now.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Evans is pushing 40 and, to be honest, looks older than that. I had never seen he and Angelico before AEW, so I was baffled as to why these two were a team.

Maybe it's me, but Angelico could be a good hand working singles. Curious if he would stay with AEW if he's offered a spot sans Evans.

21 hours ago, MrKothoga said:

We now (probably) know why Peter Avalon was missing from AEW for five long months up until returning in august this year (and we also get to know what Diamante does when she's not wrestling).

Fellow film conniseurs rejoice - he's starring in the new Len Kabasinski movie Pact of Vengeance!

Happy to say I've been contributing to Len Kabasinski's Patreon for a while now and I'm happy this movie will finally be released. Leo Fong looks great for 97!

• Like 1

I don't think its been mentioned, but Rampage is moving to Saturday night in two weeks with a special episode on Christmas night. Dynamite that week will be titled Holiday Bash, so Rampage will be too most likely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I met Jack Evans at a Wrestlecon and he was a super cool. Seemed to genuinely enjoy talking to fans and it was fun to talk with him about LU and WSX. Objectively, though, it's tough to see a role for him in AEW beyond what he and Matt Sydal have been doing. He can still go in a 5-10 minute match and would be a good mentor for the young flyers, but I can see why he'd want to do more, even for less money.

• Like 1