DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2021

The Natural

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

I thought the age gap between Nese and Matthews was big, but its only 3 years (Nese is 36 and Matthews is 33). So the perception of Nese as veteran mechanic and Matthews as young up and comer is... not perfect.

I can only assume you're referring to my post which doesn't in any way portray Matthews as a "young up and comer." What I did say is that I think he's got a higher ceiling than Nese - but he's not quite there yet, and maybe it'll take a year or two of wrestling in other places.

I do wonder if they're stockpiling cruiserweight types for whatever the Owen Hart Cup thing is gonna be. They've signed Nese and Daivari so far, I imagine O'Reilly and Fish will be involved with that, too. 

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They need to have a Missile Dropkick competition. Like the Slam Dunk contest or Home Run Rally.

A bonus point to whoever can land on their feet post-dropkick like Koko Ware.

AEW’s secret weapon is the forbidden door. The promotions that lend them talent or book their talent become part of their expanded universe. Personally, I’m watching a larger variety of wrestling now than I ever have before. We’re too atomized as a culture now to ever have a wrestling boom to rival the others, but pro wrestling as an industry feels healthier than it has in a long time and there’s plenty of intrigue and excitement. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

I really, really, really hope the new AAA Mega Champion gets a match in AEW against Kenny once Kenny is all healed up. 

I really really really hope he comes to visit AEW regardless.

The new champ is: 

Hide contents

El Hijo del Vikingo!!!

Spoiler

I think he is going to appear on MLW tv before anywhere since he was in the MLW/CRASH semi-main from yesterday,

Six Man Tag Team Match

El Hijo del Vikingo, Laredo Kid & Octagon Jr. defeat Alex Kane, Davey Richards & Rey Horus

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Oh my GOD, FTR plus Vicky Guerrero is solid fucking gold.  They need to take this to Puerto Rico.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Actual heat seeking feels so good.

LOVE #FTR, Vickie Guerrero and #FTR wearing Eddie Guerrero/Los Gringos Loco attire. #FTR are so thoughtful about their attires here and the Midnight Express look. Best tag team in the world 2016-2021.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Oh my GOD, FTR plus Vicky Guerrero is solid fucking gold.  They need to take this to Puerto Rico.

Damn, Dean, you want to start a riot? I’m impressed they managed to pull that off in Monterey without someone jumping the rails.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

LOVE #FTR, Vickie Guerrero and #FTR wearing Eddie Guerrero/Los Gringos Loco attire. #FTR are so thoughtful about their attires here and the Midnight Express look. Best tag team 2016-2021.

Only thing missing was the swimming motion, which honestly might have gotten them run out of the building.

• Like 3

There are certainly flashier teams, perhaps more physical teams; but I will knife fight* anyone who says that FTR is not the best team in the world, at the moment. (*Plastic knives taped to the end of 10 foot poles...I don't know where some of you have been). 

• Like 1

I wonder how people are going to react if/when Rami, Steen, and Gargano show up. They're all in obviously higher card ranking than Nese, they bring a lot more to the table, but it just always seems like any new signing has people bemoaning the state of the company. Frankly I think that's really weird and wouldn't think about them adding talent if I didn't see it discussed here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I wonder how people are going to react if/when Rami, Steen, and Gargano show up. They're all in obviously higher card ranking than Nese, they bring a lot more to the table, but it just always seems like any new signing has people bemoaning the state of the company. Frankly I think that's really weird and wouldn't think about them adding talent if I didn't see it discussed here. 

I think they will be universally praised, Steen and Zayn anyway. I know I'm not the only Gargano detractor around here. Still hoping for Bray and then there's Keith Lee too. Kyle O'Reilly is a lock from my understanding. That's great. 

My frustration with signing lower card mechanics like Nese  and Fish is we see so little of some of the promising talent right now and we have seen a significant investment of tv time to those two (Fish moreso) while Ricky Starks is stuck on commentary. I get that they've been on tv putting people over as they should, but Ricky hasn't been on tv outside of commentary since the Cage feud in any meaningful way and that was October. I understand that Starks and Fish/Nese serve different roles but there is so much undercard/midcard talent not getting a whiff of tv time. This is also my frustration with the Punk and Danielson spamming we've seen the past two months. 

With Starks I was wondering if it's his neck still giving him issues, and it may well be, but he has been on Dark in this time frame. He's struggling on commentary and while it takes most a long time to get good, I'm not hearing much improvement yet. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

Agreed @Jijiabout Starks, it's an odd situation and one wonders what might be behind it. On the upside of not seeing certain folks on television, Cage has been MIA and I'm not fretting about that. 

As for Danielson, Punk, as well as Ruby and Cole, I'd have to imagine it's an attempt to get new eyes on the product. Whether it's working or not is to be seen, but at least Danielson is putting on bangers every time he's out there. 

I don't think it seems to be working with ratings. Maybe they'd be worse but they sure seem pretty average to me. Danielson and Punk don't feel special at all after this overexposure. I don't think either the cabana or Angels matches were bangers either. I'm pleading for some more Starks. 

I think Cage and TK mutually agree to part ways soon. I fear for my boy from the heavens Jack Evans. I think I heard he said his confidence was really low, hence wrestling in a shirt, no follow up on losing his hair, and now Angelico is working singles at Dark. Somebody said he had no personality and that isn't true at all. Dude does drunken master style, is a great shit talker motormouth, and was an arrogant shit head for years. I just don't think he's found his stride in AEW. 

Found it interesting they had Callis walk by to make sure we knew he is still around pulling strings as the not so invisible hand. If they're doing the Omega redemption 2.0 story like they should, Callis should be a key part in fucking him over. Don doesn't need to be on tv often but have him pop up from time to time to remind us that he isn't just Kenny's guy. 

Wasn't Christopher Daniels coming back? Did they abort? That BTE promo was such a good wat to go out (holy shit that should've been a tv promo!) but I'm down for an occasional match from him. Fallen Angel maybe? 

Looking at their roster page and they've actually done a better job at keeping people on tv than I thought. I want more Hobbs, Starks (and Hook of course), and maybe Ortiz and Santana (they kinda dropped the ball in the FTR feud tho), but that's about it. Everybody else has been on tv or is featured as a Dark wrestler. Chuck Taylor is in limbo waiting for Trent to return but he's getting a match on TV. Apparently Schaivone buried Chuck at a Q&A or something recently. My friend sent me a clip of Cornette (yeah I know) telling the story of Tony talking about his 35 year old son calling him up saying he wanted to be a wrestler and if Chuck Taylor could do it he could. Jesus. 

To be fair, Schiavone comes off as a "loving asshole" on the podcast and in the end seems to really like everybody there and enjoy his job. I think it's just his sense of humor (plus I've heard people do the same to him and he seems to laugh at it).

• Like 1

I’m not sure you can get away with bringing in Gargano & O’Reilly within a short time frame. You gotta start being mindful of your product homogenizing too much, and I’m not sure what Gargano gives you at this point that you don’t have elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

I don't think it seems to be working with ratings. Maybe they'd be worse but they sure seem pretty average to me. Danielson and Punk don't feel special at all after this overexposure. I don't think either the cabana or Angels matches were bangers either. I'm pleading for some more Starks. 

I think Cage and TK mutually agree to part ways soon. I fear for my boy from the heavens Jack Evans. I think I heard he said his confidence was really low, hence wrestling in a shirt, no follow up on losing his hair, and now Angelico is working singles at Dark. Somebody said he had no personality and that isn't true at all. Dude does drunken master style, is a great shit talker motormouth, and was an arrogant shit head for years. I just don't think he's found his stride in AEW. 

Found it interesting they had Callis walk by to make sure we knew he is still around pulling strings as the not so invisible hand. If they're doing the Omega redemption 2.0 story like they should, Callis should be a key part in fucking him over. Don doesn't need to be on tv often but have him pop up from time to time to remind us that he isn't just Kenny's guy. 

Wasn't Christopher Daniels coming back? Did they abort? That BTE promo was such a good wat to go out (holy shit that should've been a tv promo!) but I'm down for an occasional match from him. Fallen Angel maybe? 

Looking at their roster page and they've actually done a better job at keeping people on tv than I thought. I want more Hobbs, Starks (and Hook of course), and maybe Ortiz and Santana (they kinda dropped the ball in the FTR feud tho), but that's about it. Everybody else has been on tv or is featured as a Dark wrestler. Chuck Taylor is in limbo waiting for Trent to return but he's getting a match on TV. Apparently Schaivone buried Chuck at a Q&A or something recently. My friend sent me a clip of Cornette (yeah I know) telling the story of Tony talking about his 35 year old son calling him up saying he wanted to be a wrestler and if Chuck Taylor could do it he could. Jesus. 

I think overexposure is an overstatement. Especially with the Punk segment being the second highest rated segment (heard that on WrestleTalk podcast so sorry if I’m incorrect ). The Danielson matches are actually giving Dark Order members matches that wouldn’t be and progressing a title feud with Wangman. It’s putting more people on tv and not just singular promos.

The ratings talk in general is overblown because they are now live on the West Coast and that’s kind of. Weird time for wrestling.

I do think the constant Team Taz segments haven’t done much favors but hopefully leads to more actual matches.

• Like 2