Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion


Blue Dragon
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I can understand now why guys were hard on Show when he first came to WWF because he mostly worked with the main eventers who weren't going to go out there way to  really  have good matches in the main event but at the same time WWF guys were still strongly petty against WCW talent especially those that have never been in a WWF lockeroom

Ehhhhh… I don’t think Giant gets enough credit for how good his work was in WCW outside his awful Hogan matches. Sometimes I think his comments in WWE docs about his WCW run were from him getting gaslit by the WWF crew for years. He just seems like a bit of a mark to be convinced he was terrible. Sure his best run was his post-Mayweather time, but I think I might actually enjoy shit like him, and Roadblock more.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The final year of Giant in WCW probably diminishes the entirety of it for some people. Getting dropped on his head by Nash, another heel turn, smoking randomly, doing some jobs to Goldberg in the summer, and after awhile, they knew he was gone to the WWF and lost him in the shuffle before giving him a high profile beatdown to end his WCW stint.

Giant joining the NWO in 1996 probably makes sense in the context that the Giant really doesn't have a reason to feel indebted to WCW. Of course they turned him back a few months later. The babyface run in 97/98 was probably his peak WCW work?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s easy to pick on garbage jobbber shit/bad indies for worst matches. It’s also easy to pick classics for best matches.  In person, I’ve seen early 80s WWF house show jobber vs jobber broadways and the whole 1991 Bash as the worst, and I’ve seen Flair in his prime as the best.  So ruling out those low hanging fruit, I’ll say my best and worst of the rest are two matches I’ve mentioned here.  

Worst was Dusty/Tully in a Bash match, maybe 86 or 87 in Baltimore.  It was a barbed wire match where the whole card went long and these carnies announced that, have no fear, the curfew had been lifted and we’d get our main event!  Well the match was 30 seconds long, so they totally bullshitted us marks.  Obviously arena management told them to do it fast and gtfo.

Best was a ROH show with board favorite DAVEY RICHARDS vs Eddie Edwards which was just unrelenting insane spot porn.  The perfect match for that night where even one non fan miserable shithead with us got caught up in it.  Fuck yeah.   DAVEY will always get a pass with me, fuck it.

 

 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The WCW squad of guys holding it down until Sting actually wrestled were reasonably good in 97. DDP/Luger/Giant, and then add in others depending on things, like Piper or the Horsemen or the Steiners or whatever.

Giant not being on the same side as Nash in mid-98 makes sense, although Giant's turn pretty much happened in the background to Hall turning 6 days later.

For all the criticism of WWE's valuing of Tag Team wrestling, has there been a WWE tag scene as bad as late 98 WCW Tag Teams where Bischoff clearly didn't give a fuck, and Giant was involved in that period of tag team dreck.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Infinit said:

It could be an excuse....but MSG was sold out for the Knicks game yesterday. So people will definitely come out to see something they want to see.

adding the necessary caveats about "tickets sold" being the counter for attendance for pro sports teams

If anybody is curious, here are the Covid entry protocols for the Knicks game and the WWE show tonight

Quote
  • Guests age 12 and older are required to provide proof they have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine  
  • Children ages 5 to 11 can attend events with a vaccinated adult and are required to provide proof they have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine 

Fully vaccinated guests are not required to wear a mask. Please note that full COVID-19 vaccination means the day of your event is at least 14 days after your final vaccine dose. Everyone else age 2 and older is required to wear a mask while in The Garden, except while actively eating or drinking. 

There's sort of an unspoken void where the mask mandate covers everybody 2 or older, but children 4 or younger aren't explicitly mentioned as actually being allowed to attend events.

Now that'd be a true throwback show for the WWE at MSG if they weren't allowing any children to attend until they were approved for the vaccine (which happened 2 months ago)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ehhhhh… I don’t think Giant gets enough credit for how good his work was in WCW outside his awful Hogan matches. Sometimes I think his comments in WWE docs about his WCW run were from him getting gaslit by the WWF crew for years. He just seems like a bit of a mark to be convinced he was terrible. Sure his best run was his post-Mayweather time, but I think I might actually enjoy shit like him, and Roadblock more.

As soon as he left WWE,he talked about how much he was miss used. I Don't think they convinced him he was terrible, they more so convinced him that he was lazy or unmotivated based on his weight issues according to them and him getting the criticism that everyone WCW talent got that never worked WWE as having a " WCW style " of working

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

"Bodies" by Drowning Pool would have made for a good Royal Rumble theme song. But instead it was released in May 2001, was the theme of the 2001 Summerslam, and a month later, it wasn't in the running to be a PPV theme song for a few years.

I like their song "Tear Away" which was used as Kevin Steen's theme during Gabe's ROH tenure.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

"Bodies" by Drowning Pool would have made for a good Royal Rumble theme song. But instead it was released in May 2001, was the theme of the 2001 Summerslam, and a month later, it wasn't in the running to be a PPV theme song for a few years.

 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I like their song "Tear Away" which was used as Kevin Steen's theme during Gabe's ROH tenure.

 

Ditto to all this. Drowning Pool also played Tear Away at WrestleMania X-8:

Edited by The Natural
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Off the top of my pointy Long COVIDs head, my bestest match was a Florida '82ish match with Kevin Sullivan & Buzz Sawyer vs. Blackjack Mulligan & Dusty Rhodes w/Barroom Brawl & Lights Out stips. Magick.

My worst (that I thoroughly enjoyed) was an On Point Wrestling main event with Mark Angel vs. Mike Hits that went way way too long. It was so delicious that I hounded the promoter until he gave me an unedited DVD with that match on it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ziggy said:

As soon as he left WWE,he talked about how much he was miss used. I Don't think they convinced him he was terrible, they more so convinced him that he was lazy or unmotivated based on his weight issues according to them and him getting the criticism that everyone WCW talent got that never worked WWE as having a " WCW style " of working

Which is so funny considering for a decade plus they ended up misusing him too. It wasn’t until the Floyd match where things changed, but then a year, or so later the problems with booking Show came back again. Giants are hard to book period, after the territories died. Anybody who claims they can “do it better” today will inevitably fall into the same patterns. Which is sort of funny because with “the brand split” you could actually maneuver them away into the other shows like if they were Andre.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Speaking of the movies, Spider-Man: NWH did like half a billy without the Chinese box office, I believe, and not on HBO MAX or anything.

I presume that "the haters" aren't aimlessly hating.

No Way Home has done almost half a billion over two weeks just in the US.  It made another $100 million last week.

Heck, Sing 2 and Matrix Resurrection each made about $40 million last week.  Matrix would probably have done better if it wasn't available on HBO Max.  My wife and I went to a late Christmas day show and the theater was mostly full.

I"m sure COVID is a factor in WWE ticket sales.  Not sure it's as dominant a factor as you'd think.  In general, people seem willing to travel, pay for movies & ballgames, get together, etc. if it's something they want to do.  I feel like people in my part of the country care less about COVID variants than the media thinks they do.

Speaking from personal experience, there's a reasonably long list of events I'd attend right now but a wrestling show has no chance of making that list.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ka-to said:

At least we were able to enjoy King Curtis screaming for the last time.

Bischoff told a pretty hilarious story about how he and Kevin Sullivan were going through the airport in I wanna say Hawaii. As they were going on one of those moving walkways and chatting, King Curtis just happened to be on the other one in the opposite direction, spotted them and just started screaming, "SULLIVANNNNNN....MY SONNNNNNN!!!!" Without missing a beat, Sullivan starts screaming, "FAAAAATHHHHHHAAAA! FAAAAAATHAAAA!" and they kept it up for the entire ride.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The WCW squad of guys holding it down until Sting actually wrestled were reasonably good in 97. DDP/Luger/Giant, and then add in others depending on things, like Piper or the Horsemen or the Steiners or whatever.

Giant not being on the same side as Nash in mid-98 makes sense, although Giant's turn pretty much happened in the background to Hall turning 6 days later.

For all the criticism of WWE's valuing of Tag Team wrestling, has there been a WWE tag scene as bad as late 98 WCW Tag Teams where Bischoff clearly didn't give a fuck, and Giant was involved in that period of tag team dreck.

98 WWF tag teams weren't great either. Granted, you didn't have Judy Bagwell as a champ there but WWF's division was basically The NAO and everyone else. Summer of 98, the WWF tag-titles were basically just story line advancers for Austin/Taker/Kane/Mankind. 

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...