DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

So they are looking to hire better looking women than Sasha Banks, Charlotte, Becky Lynch, Carmella, and Bianca Belair?  This is the ultimate example of trying to fix something that's not broken.

Where was this said? Seems more likely they are trying to hire people with looks like them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, (BP) said:

Whenever I think Barbarian brothers it’s their deleted scene cameo from Natural Born Killers. 

When Quentin Tarantino was trying to make it, he was shopping the NBK script around trying to sell it. And the Barbarian Brothers offered him a bunch of money if he'd write them a scene in the movie, and then if he got a production budget they could be in it. But then he sold the script, and it ended up being an Oliver Stone movie, and when it got to the scene with the Bodybuilding Twins, the casting agent went and got a completely different set of Twins and so the actual Barbarian Brothers never got to be in it. And then that scene got cut from the movie anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

So they are looking to hire better looking women than Sasha Banks, Charlotte, Becky Lynch, Carmella, and Bianca Belair?  This is the ultimate example of trying to fix something that's not broken.

Well keep in mind Vince didn’t want to sign Gail Kim because he couldn’t comprehend anyone finding Asian women attractive.  Who knows what’s going on in his head in this regard?

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My favorite Apter story is still the reporter going to Thief River Fallsto find out why Barry Darsow became a Russian sympathetizer. 

I remember one magazine going very in depth about the spirits that inhabited the Mississippi Delta and how Honkey Tonk Man may have communed with these spirits to gain the power to win and keep the IC title.  To be fair, it may not have been an Apter mag.  It may have been in one of those weird second tier rags like Main Event or Wrestling Eye.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Where was this said? Seems more likely they are trying to hire people with looks like them.

It said, "Reportedly WWE is looking for and hiring women with looks from now on, also applies for hiring women from the indys or anywhere else for athletic backgrounds in USA," like this is some sort of new initiative and not the standard operating procedure for the entire existence of the company.

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Shit yeah, man.  Look at most early-mid 80s WWF house shows and the maybe the top three matches are bigger names, while the rest are jobber/JTTS bouts.  Nothing like seeing two job guys go to a 20 minute draw to really heat up a crowd.  This is the first show I ever went to, with 7 out of 8 participants in the first four matches firmly entrenched in the jobber ranks and HOLY SHIT Scott McGhee & Tiger Chung Lee going to a draw before the main:

WWF @ Baltimore, MD - Civic Center - January 5, 1986 (13,000)
Pedro Morales defeated Moondog Spot
Jose Luis Rivera defeated Rene Goulet
Hercules defeated Lanny Poffo
Scott McGhee fought Tiger Chung Lee to a draw
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan defeated WWF Tag Team Champion Brutus Beefcake
The Junkyard Dog defeated Greg Valentine via count-out
Cpl. Kirchner & King Tonga fought Nikolai Volkoff & the Iron Sheik to a no contest

Hogan got the biggest pop because everybody was asleep when his music hit. 

That’s the power of Hulkamania brother! It was the same when Bruno and Pedro were champs, no need to load the undercard when you can draw a huge house with the main event. 

Most of the time those long JTTS matches were the first match on the card and/or the first match after intermission, gotta sell that beer, soda, popcorn and hot dogs. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Did the loss of mask stip for Psicosis and Juvi apply to Mexico as well or did they just wrestle without them in WCW?

Psicosis actually lost his mask in Mexico like a month before he lost it in WCW.  As far as I know Juvi never masked up in Mexico after losing his to Jericho.  Rey Jr was the only one who went back on it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Iron Mike Sharpe vs Johnny Rodz actually ended up being a shockingly fun match though. Rodz ends up being defacto face being the native New Yorker, and they have quite the "late 90's WCW Worldwide"-style hidden gem match.

also, a de facto face because he's also a Puerto Rican in New York

But yeah, I was not aware that I was about to encounter an old looking Ray Stevens in Match 4 of the card after my post regarding the first 3 matches

The results of the card, for the unaware

Spoiler

WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - April 25, 1983
Televised via closed circuit - included Gorilla Monsoon & Pat Patterson on commentary:
Salvatore Bellomo defeated Baron Mikel Scicluna at 9:43
Prime Time Wrestling - 1/27/86: Mr. Fuji pinned SD Jones at 11:34 with a belly to belly suplex as Jones ran off the ropes
Prime Time Wrestling - 1/27/86: Iron Mike Sharpe pinned Johnny Rodz at 9:31 with a forearm blow to the throat (Sharpe's MSG debut)
Prime Time Wrestling - 1/20/86: Ray Stevens pinned Tony Garea at 10:17 when the momentum of a crossbody by Garea put Stevens on top; after the bout, Garea cleared Stevens from the ring
Samula (sub. for Sika) & WWF Tag Team Champion Afa defeated Chief Jay & Jules Strongbow in a Best 2 out of 3 falls match, 2-1 at 11:55; fall #1: Jay pinned Samula at 4:40; fall #2: Afa pinned Jay at 4:07; fall #3: Afa pinned Jules at 3:08

Rocky Johnson defeated WWF IC Champion Don Muraco via count-out at 14:20 after Johnson dropkicked Muraco as he was about to jump from the top rope, knocking him out to the floor
WWF World Champion Bob Backlund (w/ Arnold Skaaland) defeated Ivan Koloff via submission at 28:36 with the Crossface Chickenwing
Jimmy Snuka pinned Superstar Billy Graham at 3:28 with a flying bodypress (Graham's last match at MSG for 4 years)
Pedro Morales pinned Swede Hanson at 4:39
Eddie Gilbert defeated Jose Estrada at 5:58
Andre the Giant defeated Big John Studd via count-out at 8:22 when Studd left ringside after narrowly avoiding a bodyslam from Andre (WWE Hall of Fame 2004)

it felt like everything had to be a sprint post-Backlund so that there was no risk of losing any of Andre/Studd due to the curfew. Also, Samula was very green. Muraco was wearing a Steelers shirt for some reason. I'm not sure what curve I should grade 28 minutes of Backlund/Ivan Koloff on since I didn't get to experience 5 years of Backlund before seeing it.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 2:53 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Brad Armstrong, nWo Sting, High Voltage, Steven Regal, Mike Enos, Harlem Heat toured New Japan. They actually had some interesting cast of characters going over there. It wasn’t just the big stars.

this is why Scott Norton lost the IWGP title partially. He was told he would have a longer reign. WCW kept sending the scrubs over to Japan and then having the NJPW huys like Nagata job out in WCW.  

• Like 2

Greatest match I saw live was probably JBL/Benoit in a steel cage for the US title but that memory has been tainted. CM Punk/Matt Cappoteli had an amazing dark match I saw that was one of Punks try outs right before being signed and it was fantastic except for the ref kind of botching the end by counting a three while Punk had the anaconda vice locked in. 

I wish I lived somewhere where Indy wrestling was easy to watch cause I’ve only been to WWE shows and even then would have to travel 4 hours for them.

Edited by Sublime
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Octopus said:

What’s the greatest match you’ve seen live?

Danielson vs. Omega. Before that, I'd probably say the first Joe vs Punk match

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
For clarity, this wasn't the first of the trilogy, but the one from Best Friends, Stiffer Enemies
  • Like 3

On 12/22/2021 at 11:05 PM, Zimbra said:

Psicosis actually lost his mask in Mexico like a month before he lost it in WCW.  As far as I know Juvi never masked up in Mexico after losing his to Jericho.  Rey Jr was the only one who went back on it.

I hated that Rey went back to masked. That’s not how it works, if you want to wrestle masked again you change names/gimmicks and move back down the card.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Octopus said:

What’s the greatest match you’ve seen live?

WALTER vs. Cesaro last month.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Taker/Michaels WM 25. Its the only live show I have ever been to.

That's a great first show for The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels in a ***** match and the return to the ring of Ricky Steamboat. Shame about the rubbish main event of Triple H and Randy Orton.

• Like 5

Speaking of Triple H, he has the most hit and miss WrestleMania record ever for match quality:

Hits:

• Triple H vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania X-Seven, WrestleMania XXVII and WrestleMania XXVIII. Gave ***** to the last one.
  • Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit, WrestleMania XX.
  • Triple H vs. John Cena, WrestleMania 22.
  • Triple H vs. Daniel Bryan, WrestleMania XXX.
  • Triple H/Stephanie McMahon vs. Kurt Angle/Ronda Rousey. WrestleMania XXXIV.

Misses:

• Triple H vs. Chris Jericho at WrestleMania X8. Boring.
  • Triple H vs. Booker T, WrestleMania XIX. Hated this.
  • Triple H vs. Randy Orton, WrestleMania XXV. Hated this. So dumb Undertaker vs. Michaels didn't main event the show. Trips and Randy Orton were watching backstage and said "We're fucked."
  • Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar, WrestleMania XXIX. Hated this.
  • Triple H vs. Sting. WrestleMania XXXI. Hated this.
  • Triple H vs. Roman Reigns. WrestleMania XXXII. So long and boring.
  • Triple H vs. Seth Rollins. WrestleMania XXXIII. Boring.

One of the biggest things Triple H has given us is the OTT entrances, some made me laugh in the early hours watching live.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Triple H vs. Sting. WrestleMania XXXI. Hated this.

Sting not going over soured me on the whole thing, and it made no sense that the NWO would have Sting's back, but I remember thinking the match itself was alright at the time. In retrospect, the smoke and mirrors were completely unnecessary because Sting has had better matches since then, make of that what you will. And on a side note, Sting's latest run, not just it's existence but it's actual quality, has been one of the most awesome surprises ever in wrestling. They tore it up last night. I answered with Danielson vs Omega before, but that Sting/Darby vs FTR from the same show is definitely up there for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

American Alpha vs. The Revival at an NXT house show. 

The death of the house show saddens me because every so often, you get one of those. I saw a really good Styles/Rollins/Ambrose triple threat at a random house show in a less-than-full building, and they went hard as hell.

• Like 1