DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

Watching one of the 1983 MSG shows, the April one that wasn't televised at the time (it was broadcast via closed circuit).. so far through 2 matches, Pat Patterson has referred to Gorilla Monsoon as "Vince" multiple times. So between that and the sound being a little different than what one would be used to... only the best for the closed circuit fans waiting to see Bob Backlund vs Ivan Koloff in 1983.

Gotta love the very likely made up claims from Pat such as "Sal Bellomo saw his parents for the first time in a year and they wanna travel from Italy to see him at Madison Square Garden" and "Mr. Fuji owns a rice plantation in Japan and uses his earnings to fund it"

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I remember Armstrong and Enos touring New Japan a lot back when Malenko, Eddie and that one other guy toured New Japan in the early to mid nineties. Now that you mention it, I recall nWo Sting's name on the PWI results over there, others I was not aware of, at all. Harlem Heat and High Voltage would have fit right in those Ring Warriors shows that were on EuroSport!

Anytime on these Nitro re-watches when Tenay says “*Insert name*  just came back from a successful tour of Japan” I’m like “HIM?”. I immediately go to New Japan World, or Dailymotion to see if I can find footage. Barely anything out there. Only American wrestling super fans were obsessed with All Japan, so all the TV footage is on a streaming service. Of course New Japan , and TV Asahi also suck too when it comes to showcasing the old footage. Like even in the 00’s you’d get more raw, and uncut full All Japan shows, and matches on NHK television, than you do NJPW footage on TV Asahi television. At least that was my understanding, because the tape traders in the later stages would get small chopped up best of New Japan shows. So I just rarely touched that stuff.

I wish somebody at TV Asahi would just give a bootlegger all the cleaned up footage with original audio so he could be the middle man to upload this stuff onto a streaming platform. It’s a shame that these tapes might become destroyed in a fire one day without being seen again in it’s entirety.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Some remake of those 80's "Barbarian Twins" (or whatever the F those two were called) B-movies, at the very least!

David and Peter Paul, The Barbarian Brothers! 

I always kind of hoped they'd show up somewhere as a tag team. Those guys had a great sense of humour. 

They were great in DC Cab, with Mr. T!

Edited by Gordlow
I almost forgot about DC Cab!!
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

David and Peter Paul, The Barbarian Brothers! 

I always kind of hoped they'd show up somewhere as a tag team. Those guys had a great sense of humour. 

They were great in DC Cab, with Mr. T!

Ok, so I guess their names weren't Rand and Jake, but I recall seeing a little bit of that Barbarians movie at my school mate's house in the late 80's. We didn't watch the whole thing, because he didn't think it was all that good.

LOl, if Roman could get a movie role with Jason Momoa, his conversation with Vince would play out like something from a cartoon.  First there would be a wide angle shot of the two of them together.  Then there would be a closeup of Vince saying "Well, I know you have a movie role, pal, but I also know you'll stay with the company and do what's best for business."

(Camera pans over to empty the chair where Roman used to be siting to reveal an empty chair.  Camera switches to a wide-angle shot of the room.  Roman is not visible, but a cloud of dust where Roman used to be and a swinging door indicate that someone ran out of the room in a hurry.)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, but I was sure Liger was in WCW far more than he was during Rey's run...but nope.  Liger came in in 96 and they put together the match with Rey at Starrcade.  The next night he wrestles Ultimo Dragon, and then doesn't come back until 1999.  If they would have just traded a cruiserweight or two to work the other company for a month or so once or twice a year, they could have kept both divisions fresh for years.  

One of the best things Bischoff ever did as a booker was bring in and feature those New Japan talent during the early days of Nitro. Benoit, Eddie and Dean were New Japan guys too when they came in right?

I wish we got more Liger between 96 and early 99 when I was invested in WCW because I didn't get in to WCW till 96. I saw the match with the Champagne bottle and I remember being disappointed because even though I wasn't really smart I never expected shenanigans in a Juvi match especially matched again a New Japan guy. I was just about done with WCW even though I was still at the point where I'd take in wrestling I could consume. It was around the time ECW new to TNN and I was watching  almost every WWF programming.  I was watching WCW Saturday night every now and then.

It would have been nicer to have Liger over more after Ultimo Dragon got hurt. Bischoff really hurt the Cruiserweight division by having guys like Rey , Juvi and Psychosis unmask. I know he couldn't help himself with Rey but Juvi and Psychosis unmasking really didn't make any sense then you had Ultimo basically had to retire so now you have no really credible masked cruiserweight on the roster and now everyone looks like an American cruiserweight wrestler when now you got an American wrestler from the north east indies as your top cruiserweight in Billie Kidman

• Like 1

I think I flipped after watching Juvi in WCW post unmasking again. Before he lost the mask he wasn’t very over, and was overshadowed by Mysterio. As soon as he lost it  his gear got cooler, got in better shape, he adopted the “Never Say Die” gimmick, and he did the Juvi Driver more, that’s when the fans started cheering for him. He also wasn’t a bad looking guy either. Of all the WCW guys who lost their mask, he should’ve benefited the most. For a time he did, but in the end he sort of fucked it up for himself.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2021 at 10:57 AM, AxB said:

Blame Russo, and him having Liger job to a Tequila bottle.

Blame Bischoff, and his "I need everyone for every show whether I'm going to use them or not" philosophy. Like, New Japan and WCW had a deal, but not many WCW wrestlers actually got to go to Japan, did they? Like Eddy and Dean signed for WCW under the impression that they would be working NJ tours several times a year, and then Eric never let them go.

I have no recollection of this, but Cagematch says that Benoit and Malenko worked NJ in 97 and 99.  Jericho was also on the '97 tour.

Did this even get brought up on TV?

16 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think I flipped after watching Juvi in WCW post unmasking again. Before he lost the mask he wasn’t very over, and was overshadowed by Mysterio. As soon as he lost it  his gear got cooler, got in better shape, he adopted the “Never Say Die” gimmick, and he did the Juvi Driver more, that’s when the fans started cheering for him. He also wasn’t a bad looking guy either. Of all the WCW guys who lost their mask, he should’ve benefited the most. For a time he did, but in the end he sort of fucked it up for himself.

Juvi definitely was better post-mask in almost every way.  For one his mask was the least memorable than the guys you listed above, and two he's much better at emoting with his face than any of the other guys as well.  He went from one of those masked guys to Juvi Juice and was immediately more over.  Rey and Psicosis had really cool masks, and looked like scrawny teenagers once they unmasked.  They went from guys with really cool, unique looks to the dudes hanging out at the mall looking too scared to talk to girls.  Rey Mysterio without his mask reminds me of that King of the Hill joke where Cotton says, "I like a woman with a big butt, but your mother was taking advantage of the situation."  I know Rey Mysterio is a all-time great babyface, but his actual face is taking advantage of the situation.  He looked like he'd get carded to get into a PG-13 movie.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The first 3 matches on this MSG card are Sal Bellomo vs Baron Mikel Scicluna, Mr. Fuji vs SD Jones, and Iron Mike Sharpe vs Johnny Rodz. They're not holding anything back on this card.

Iron Mike Sharpe vs Johnny Rodz actually ended up being a shockingly fun match though. Rodz ends up being defacto face being the native New Yorker, and they have quite the "late 90's WCW Worldwide"-style hidden gem match.

Reportedly WWE is looking for and hiring women with looks from now on, also applies for hiring women from the indys or anywhere else for athletic backgrounds in USA.

Keep in mind there will be exceptions sometimes to the new look "rules" for some female MMA and foreign talent and athletic background women, so they may not all have to be of this "looks" mold. And looks can mean just good body or just face that is telegenic.

Let's not bring up hiring women from model catalogs or bikini models etc.. yet. Nothing has been mentioned of hiring those types.

That was the thing, when enhancement dudes get time one on one they put together really solid matches. SD Jones, Mike Shrpe, Johnny Rodz, Lanny Poffo, Jose LUIS Rivera, Tiger Chung Lee... all those guys got to use all their stuff in sompetitive matches and they are all pretty good

James

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The first 3 matches on this MSG card are Sal Bellomo vs Baron Mikel Scicluna, Mr. Fuji vs SD Jones, and Iron Mike Sharpe vs Johnny Rodz. They're not holding anything back on this card.

These three matches live would be more fun for me than most indie supercards. More psychology, as well. Nostalgia is a strong factor in this. Those guys were workers.

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
y'all go watch some Java Ruuk matches and learn
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Shit yeah, man.  Look at most early-mid 80s WWF house shows and the maybe the top three matches are bigger names, while the rest are jobber/JTTS bouts.  Nothing like seeing two job guys go to a 20 minute draw to really heat up a crowd.  This is the first show I ever went to, with 7 out of 8 participants in the first four matches firmly entrenched in the jobber ranks and HOLY SHIT Scott McGhee & Tiger Chung Lee going to a draw before the main:

WWF @ Baltimore, MD - Civic Center - January 5, 1986 (13,000)
Pedro Morales defeated Moondog Spot
Jose Luis Rivera defeated Rene Goulet
Hercules defeated Lanny Poffo
Scott McGhee fought Tiger Chung Lee to a draw
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan defeated WWF Tag Team Champion Brutus Beefcake
The Junkyard Dog defeated Greg Valentine via count-out
Cpl. Kirchner & King Tonga fought Nikolai Volkoff & the Iron Sheik to a no contest

Hogan got the biggest pop because everybody was asleep when his music hit. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Reportedly WWE is looking for and hiring women with looks from now on, also applies for hiring women from the indys or anywhere else for athletic backgrounds in USA.

Keep in mind there will be exceptions sometimes to the new look "rules" for some female MMA and foreign talent and athletic background women, so they may not all have to be of this "looks" mold. And looks can mean just good body or just face that is telegenic.

Let's not bring up hiring women from model catalogs or bikini models etc.. yet. Nothing has been mentioned of hiring those types.

So they are looking to hire better looking women than Sasha Banks, Charlotte, Becky Lynch, Carmella, and Bianca Belair?  This is the ultimate example of trying to fix something that's not broken.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Not as good as the Aptera mags saying Hansen owned his own island in Japan to raise kobe beef. 

The best Apter mag thing was them doing an "interview" with Cactus Jack in a shitty motel where he ate pimento loaf and drank water from the toilet tank in order to save money. If you didn't know that all of the PWI interviews were made up, that actually would 100% fit with Foley's skinflint tendencies on the road.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2