DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Quick follow up regarding Toni Storm

On this morning's radio show - Meltzer confirmed that Storm basically woke up and decided to quit the company.

They released her but no one is sure of the terms yet. Dave seemed to imply that there was some sort of "No AEW" agreement but Japan would be fine. Either way - she would have a 90 day no compete.

The only reason so far that seems to have been said is "burn out"

The 'NO AEW' clause seemed to be Dave speculating what may/may not have been in the release agreement.  At least the portion I heard.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The 'NO AEW' clause seemed to be Dave speculating what may/may not have been in the release agreement.  At least the portion I heard.  

I don't think you can enforce that once a non compete is up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

You're a whole ass narcissist and you don't see it. The world, the wrestling business, and this board don't revolve around you. THAT'S what's wrong with the world right now. 

I genuinely believe you've hit the nail on the head here. I'm not a mental health professional by any means, but dealing with narcissists has been a pretty persistent issue in my life. One of the absolute dead giveaways is that people on the extreme end of the "grandiose narcissism" spectrum will almost always become abusive when faced with criticism or even disagreement. The sad thing is, narcissists by definition lack empathy, so there is virtually zero chance of getting a narcissist to listen to reason or understand that anything they are doing could possibly be wrong.

It's sometimes difficult to tell if abusive language on an internet forum is stemming from actual narcissism or if it's just "anonymous keyboard warrior syndrome ."

On the other hand, if a poster responds to criticism or disagreement in a reasonable and non-abusive way, that's a pretty good sign that they are not a narcissist, or at least not on the extreme end of the spectrum. (We ALL have some narcissistic tendencies, or exhibit occasional narcissistic behaviours, to a greater or lesser extent. It's just part of being human).

When dealing with a "whole-ass narcissist" you can't expect to change their opinions or behaviour. But, it's interesting to see how many people disagree even in the face of a constant and immediate stream of abuse. (In this case, the number of people who disagree with "Tay and Sammy owe us the truth about their personal lives" seems to be "literally everyone else who has posted about it" which speaks well of this board and those who post here, in my opinion.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Edited by Gordlow
Posting shirtless pictures of myself. Narcissistic?
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Dog said:

Realistically, can even the normal non-compete actually be enforced?

It would be great to see someone challenge that bullshit because what is the purpose of a 90 day non compete clause? 80% of the people who they've released aren't stars enough anyway to help the competition in any significant way other than in ring presence and bolstering roster depth. I could see if this was the MNW why you would do something like that but in an era where the WWE brand is the star? Not really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Shut the fuck up already, no one cares. You could always let the shit drop, but you just have to keep responding. Stop responding, then. Clearly, no one gives a fuck about you, your POV, or your weirdo obsessions with certain workers who have clearly heated up more than you have. 

If it's so funny, just laugh to yourself and move on, goddam. 

obviously you do or you wouldn't have typed this up. What makes you the person in charge? I'm not going to stop responding when I'm right.  If you are so bothered you can always shut the fuck up.  But clearly you do care. 

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It would be great to see someone challenge that bullshit because what is the purpose of a 90 day non compete clause? 80% of the people who they've released aren't stars enough anyway to help the competition in any significant way other than in ring presence and bolstering roster depth. I could see if this was the MNW why you would do something like that but in an era where the WWE brand is the star? Not really.

Isn't it more a case of money? They can forego the clause, they just won't be paid for those 90 days?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

I genuinely believe you've hit the nail on the head here. I'm not a mental health professional by any means, but dealing with narcissists has been a pretty persistent issue in my life. One of the absolute dead giveaways is that people on the extreme end of the "grandiose narcissism" spectrum will almost always become abusive when faced with criticism or even disagreement. The sad thing is, narcissists by definition lack empathy, so there is virtually zero chance of getting a narcissist to listen to reason or understand that anything they are doing could possibly be wrong.

It's sometimes difficult to tell if abusive language on an internet forum is stemming from actual narcissism or if it's just "anonymous keyboard warrior syndrome ."

On the other hand, if a poster responds to criticism or disagreement in a reasonable and non-abusive way, that's a pretty good sign that they are not a narcissist, or at least not on the extreme end of the spectrum. (We ALL have some narcissistic tendencies, or exhibit occasional narcissistic behaviours, to a greater or lesser extent. It's just part of being human).

When dealing with a "whole-ass narcissist" you can't expect to change their opinions or behaviour. But, it's interesting to see how many people disagree even in the face of a constant and immediate stream of abuse. (In this case, the number of people who disagree with "Tay and Sammy owe us the truth about their personal lives" seems to be "literally everyone else who has posted about it" which speaks well of this board and those who post here, in my opinion.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

You are wrong Gordlow.  I actually admitted Brit has gotten better.  With Tay and Sammy she was sitting on his lap at Steel City Con. People saw it and mentioned it on IG and she denied it and then quit Instagram for a whopping 24 hrs over it. She called the people liars when they weren't. She was in fact the one lying.  But a bunch of people on here jump and defend her. Google "Whiteknighting"  It's the same thing they did with Brit without knowing any facts.  

I don't give a fuck who Sammy and Tay date. But when they call people "liars" it becomes an issue. 

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Brock challenged the non-compete with Vince and he won.  He worked NJPW.  It's in his book actually. He mentions being the only one to successfully beat Vince over a non-compete.  

6 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I know this is supposed to be a dig at Charlotte, but this has been WWE's model for 40 years: make a few big stars, build up lesser stars and feed them to the Cenas. Rocks, and Charlottes of the company.  I can think of a quite a few people who got hotshotted into feuds with main eventers and never recovered their heat?  Did the Cena feud do a lot for Rusev's career?  

If we're going to start making lists of WWE stars who are "detrimental to one's WWE career", the first name on my list is going to be the Undertaker.  List of guys UT put over is a lot smaller compared to the list of guys who got fed to Undertaker and never recovered.  They booked UT like that even when he was well past his prime.  I used to dread seeing him on SD in the late 2000's.  The model was basically show up for a few months->get title->don't put anyone over->Take six months off.  Rinse and repeat.

It's the way WWE does business.  Let's not pretend working Charlotte is somehow worse for the your career than being hotshotted into a feud with Cena, Triple H, Hogan. Roman. Austin, Rock, etc.

Fwiw, this was intended as a dig at a member here who took great offense to me suggesting that Charlotte is where talented women go to die and that it's to the point where you can count on her cutting one woman a month off at the knees. Asuka, Alexa Bliss, Nia, Lacey Evans, Nikki ASH, Rhea Ripley, Toni Storm. It's not entirely her fault, but I think it's very telling that none of her current or former co-workers have rushed out to dispute this narrative. I expect Nia Jax will have a lot to say about this in the near future. 

I've loudly voiced my displeasure when I see what I perceive to be gross misuse of talent in the past. My theses on the Jacksons and their attempt to present themselves as the Road Warriors when they look like the Mulkeys with better costumes is pretty well established. I think Adam Cole has a physical credibility issue that has to be addressed. I think Kenny Omega is a twitchy goof who treats every match like the Finals of the G1. I think Becky Lynch's return set the WWE women's division back 5 years. I think Sasha Banks is painfully, profoundly overrated. I think Uncle Tony fucked up signing Tony Nese instead of tafka Buddy Murphy. I think that paintedbynumbers guy is a fucking weirdo. 

I had a point when I started this, but then my kid started crying and I lost my train of thought. So we'll say it's that Charlotte Flair's portrayal on WWE main roster TV is as big an error in talent evaluation as any they've made in ten years. She can be shoved over every female talent on the roster. It won't make her a passable promo or someone the fans give a shit about. All it'll do is drive talented women to seek opportunity elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Brock challenged the non-compete with Vince and he won.  He worked NJPW.  It's in his book actually. He mentions being the only one to successfully beat Vince over a non-compete.  

I think everyone knows about the Brock situation but I bolded the 90 day part for that reason. One thing is we don't want you to work for a LENGTHY period of time over several years vs. three months or a month or w/e. There was NO way that was gonna work in the case of Lesnar.

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Isn't it more a case of money? They can forego the clause, they just won't be paid for those 90 days?

Thing is though a release isn't a several step process. You're just gone. You don't work there anymore. It isn't even like the old days where people knew they were gone and just finish up and did their last TVs or an overseas tour.

I mean I get the compensation part, but when it's not a gradual process, you should be able to break free as freely as they did with you. In a situation where someone quits, yes it should be different OR a person that was terminated would like to be compensated for potential lost income while finding a new job and take that option. However, I'm focused on the non-compete part. If you don't want me to compete by joining the competition, let me keep the job if I'm that valuable where you don't want me to go anywhere.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I'm not going to stop responding when I'm right.

What are you right about? Don't say about Britt being a jerk in the past -- no one's disputing that, because no one cares. You don't seem to understand that.

42 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

But a bunch of people on here jump and defend [Tay].

I don't know if anyone's defending her as much as saying, "Get the fuck over it; wrestlers are literally professional liars; what the fuck were you expecting?"

Edited by Dog
  • Like 3

I thought Su Yung being pregnant was an angle, or a demon baby storyline for Impact. But judging by all the people congratulating her on twitter, it's actually a shoot pregnancy that they're making an angle out of.

So, Congratulations to Su Yung and her husband Rich Swann, assuming they're still together and that (I don't really bother keeping track of Wrestler's private lives).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I also think it's worth considering that people tended to come out worse after a feud with Triple H than they did with The Undertaker. Other than Batista and maaaaaaaaybe Danielson, did anyone else come out of a feud with HHH actually looking better than they did going into it? Even The Undertaker could put a guy over while beating him if he wanted (see: Jeff Hardy). HHH had no ability to do that.

The Rock turned Heel on the fly seemingly while putting over Brock at Summerslam 02 on his way out while HHH was in mini programs with RVD ,Bubba Dudley and Kane only for him to Continue his fued with Shawn and not put over Booker T at WrestleMania who the Rock gave the rub to again heading into that match. Not only Booker but Hurricane which HHH killed his heat too. Triple H got to Cosplay as NWA heel Champion of the territory Harley Race. In the WWE which is traditionally a babyface territory at a time where business was declining.  He got to be the dominant heel champion, the first heel Champ to close WrestleMania as Champ 2 years before. At least you had Rock as the biggest babyface on his heels then. In 02 though especially in fall, Austin was gone, Rock is never going to be full time again. There was no babyface close. Even Austin before he walked out in looked like they were putting him in a feud with Benoit and Guerrero with Flair as a manager before Austin walked. I know Austin was literally hanging on by a thread physically among other things he had going on but we know he loved getting the chance to work those guys 

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 3

To this day, it's way up there as one of my best moments as a wrestling fan since 5 years old. Mankind was the first heel I ever liked, I was 11 and Foley is one of my favourite wrestlers ever. Cool I got to meet him in May 2003. What a pop, the commentary call and reactions to Mankind winning the WWF Championship. That'll put butts in seats!Tony Schiavone having to say that line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, The Natural said:

To this day, it's way up there as one of my best moments as a wrestling fan since 5 years old. Mankind was the first heel I ever liked, I was 11 and Foley is one of my favourite wrestlers ever. Cool I got to meet him in May 2003. What a pop, the commentary call and reactions to Mankind winning the WWF Championship. That'll put butts in seats!Tony Schiavone having to say that line.

It was so loud.  I left the show with concert ear and very little voice.  Unforgettable.

Foley was my guy.  So I got really lucky that I chose to buy a ticket to THAT show.  Very validating.  

Being that the rest of the show was fucking annoying because in the upper deck seats we had the grid lights above the ring shooting us in the face all night.  The big moment went a long way to save the night.  

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

It was so loud.  I left the show with concert ear and very little voice.  Unforgettable.

Foley was my guy.  So I got really lucky that I chose to buy a ticket to THAT show.  Very validating.  

Being that the rest of the show was fucking annoying because in the upper deck seats we had the grid lights above the ring shooting us in the face all night.  The big moment went a long way to save the night.  

Wow, that's actually incredible you were there. I consider that to be the loudest pop I have ever heard. I can not imagine the energy and electricity in that building that night.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dog said:

What are you right about? Don't say about Britt being a jerk in the past -- no one's disputing that, because no one cares. You don't seem to understand that.

I don't know if anyone's defending her as much as saying, "Get the fuck over it; wrestlers are literally professional liars; what the fuck were you expecting?"

who are you to decide who cares about what?  You say I'm "entitled" but re-read your posts.   

Right about Brit,  right about J-Rose, and right about Tay.  The 3 things you all seem to keep coming back to.  

If nobody cares then we can let it drop. But you guys aren't willing to.  More toxic shit from you all then anything else. 

For Chrst's sake. You weren't "right" about Tay. You're acting like a fucking baby dude. She sat on a guy's lap and then later tried to downplay it and called people saying it, a liar. Who the fuck cares? Grow up. She's out there deflecting shit she didn't want people to know about. That doesn't make you right that makes you an immature asshole who can't read the room. If you broke into the pentagon and took a bunch of pics of classified documents they would lie about their existence too. Your inability to get the fuck over it is intolerable.

No idea about the J-Rose thing so not going to comment on something I have no knowledge on. But you weren't right about Britt either. Because you were out there TMZ'ing who she supposedly was fucking. Whether she had an attitude or not, you're in the wrong there gossiping about her personal life. Fucking Labar (if true, which I very much doubt) had fucking ZERO to do with her breaking into the wrestling business. So you're wrong again. And a fucking scumbag to boot.

Let's not forget your rants about Cogar and how he was done in the business for selling an ACAB sticker. Uh, last check dude is fucking killing it in GCW and broke free of the Pittsburgh drama. So wrong again.

And finally my last bit of wisdom. Life isn't about being right. Being right is insignificant. You can be the most right man on the planet and still be a prick no one wants to talk to. Maybe 2022 should be a year of personal growth for you. Break free from right or wrong, try and define yourself by being a good person or a bad person.

• Like 5