DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

What are the "evidence based treatments" that Waltman is talking about? Does that involve someone showing you the stupid shit you did while intoxicated and go "See, You did this! Are you happy now? This was all you!"? That sounds pretty effective.

That is one of the twelve steps, to be fair.

• Like 1

I'm somewhat skeptical of the twelve steps for a number of reasons. I suppose that most of them would be wrapped up in this article from The Atlantic (which occasionally has a good piece like this one).

I would love Waltman to give more context around his assertion there. 

Sorry if this drags the thread off-topic, but I thought that it might be appropriate. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gordberg said:

https://barbend.com/devon-larratt-arm-wrestle-adam-scherr-braun-strowman/

Adam Scherr (Braun) vs legendary Canadian arm-wrestler Devon Larrett.

Scherr does not exactly come across as a likable fellow in the video.

So, lemme get this straight:

Bronze goes for it, gases out but almost wins.  Larrett lets go.

The redo starts, and OF COURSE Bronze is tired.  Larrett picks up a much easier win, somehow miraculously not letting go.

Yeah, fuck that guy.

18 hours ago, Dog said:

A couple things come to mind here. I was gonna say if the Haitch really wanted to keep them, he would've made it happen, since he reportedly threw a bunch of money and promises at Dunne to get him to stay.

BUT the timing is such that might have been BEFORE his heart thing. Also ... was HHH really not there on Tuesday? Haven't seen him in any pictures. You'd think if he COULD have been there for Gargano's finale, he would have been. If he's not allowed to travel ... maybe the issue was/is worse than we've been led to believe?

Yeah outside of the clip surfacing of him with Vince and Steph at the Titan Towers renovations a few weeks ago, I did see him tweet about Lanza's passing yesterday. No question he would have been at Garganos finale on this week's NXT. And speaking of Pete Dunne,  I hope guys like he Tyler Bate , Walter Anda few other UK talent get the chance the Undisputed Era guys didn't get on the Main Roster, alot of them are amazing workers and even though we know it's going to be difficult to get over with Vince. Shawn and Hunter think the world of these guys as I do myself. Before the whole Me too movement hit UK wrestling, WWE raided the whole UK scene, so I'm happy that alot of the UK talent haven't been as affected by the budget cuts 

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Outsports did a QWA 200 (like the PWI 500, but for LGBTQ+ Wrestlers) over the last few days. Here is the top 20 (with links to the rest of list):

https://www.outsports.com/2021/12/9/22823126/qwi-200-lgbtq-pro-wrestling-wwe-aew-roh-impact-gcw-gay-bi-lesbian-trans-pan-nonbinary-day-7-top-20

Fun fact: The author of that article and I used to host a sports talk show on student radio at Kennesaw State University. I was recently on his podcast for the "Athletic Alternative" reunion. I couldn't be prouder of Wonderboy.

• Like 2

Meltzer reported most of the WWE Talent no longer have a downside guarantee. You just get what your salary says and no money from merch, PPV's, whats left of house shows.

The top stars are exceptions to above changes.

Still all stars are making more money now.

Edited by D.Z

24 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Meltzer reported most of the WWE Talent no longer have a downside guarantee. You just get what your salary says and no money from merch, PPV's, whats left of house shows.

It's funny, because in the 80's and very early 90's, the "more money from merchandising" was one of the biggest reasons to join WWF! Of course, future stars probably won't come from other wrestling companies, so that wouldn't really apply anymore, anyway.

31 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Don't these two sentences say opposite things? The second says they no longer have anything but what used to be called the "downside guarantee".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Don't these two sentences say opposite things? The second says they no longer have anything but what used to be called the "downside guarantee".

Dont look at me, it's Meltzers world words.

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's a good chance Meltzer misspoke here or got something mistaken.

WWE has always put over that you need to give the guys an incentive to show up and work hard, and shit talked the WCW style straight salary to death. If they go to straight salary with no bonus income, it would piss in the face of the last 30 years of them beating their chests about their way being the right way.

The downside guarantee is just a guarantee that you make at least X dollars, and it can't go lower than that (but could go higher). Even if they went to straight salary there is still a downside guarantee technically, it's just you get that X amount and no more / no less. So in semantics, yes it would no longer be a DOWNSIDE guarantee. Just a guarantee.

I mean it's possible they go to straight salary as a way to squeeze more profit for themselves and less for the boys. But man would that be a huge deal. That would be the biggest philosophical change in the history of the company if true. No more incentive to work house shows or sell merch or do anything above the bare minimum.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips

23 hours ago, D.Z said:

The charges against Alberto Del Rio have been dropped and he is now free and clear.

He just showed up on WWC TV in Puerto Rico. Some big show is coming in January. Well, as big as a WWC show can be. TV 2 weeks ago had 12 fans opposite of the hard cam.

I didn't know until listening to the 40 minute Cornette Cameo review YouTube video that Bryan Clark is among the various professional wrestlers who attended Central Missouri State. So it's him, Butch Reed, Chuck Palumbo, and Mancow.

Like, Bryan Clark isn't listed on the Wikipedia alumni page for people who went to UCM/CMSU

I am not gonna bother so much with ratings next year, except for few key shows. Anyways Cable TV will be slowly phased out over the years in USA. 

The true measure to any successful promotion is all their metrics combined and certainly how much profits and revenue they make as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

From WWE's YouTube 14 hours ago. Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles at Extreme Rules 2016. One of Roman's best matches and one of AJ Styles as well. One of the best matches that year along with their Payback match before this one. Been wanting to see them to at it again ever since. Surprised it hasn't happened. Reigns needs fresh opponents and we need the AJ Styles back we haven't seen in a while.

• Like 1