DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

7 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Obviously it's a sign of how hugely respected he is by so many, but I'll be honest, I find it very worrying that WWE is actually allowing guys to comment on the Jeff Hardy situation publicly. 

Unusual, for sure, buy why is it worrying?

Just now, Dog said:

Unusual, for sure, buy why is it worrying?

I should have explained that more- it worries me because of how unusual it is. Their permissiveness (or possible encouragement) of that gives me the impression they want to create as much distance as possible publically for whatever reason, which makes me speculate on whether it's a dire situation, just a "normal" relapse behavior (which sucks but is part of the process, from what I understand), or is fueled by something else. By the way, I absolutely realize I'm jumping to a shitload of conclusions there, it's all total speculation. I just hope for the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

I've been thinking about if Triple H hadn't had that Heart issue,  if they would've had better luck at keeping those Undisputed Era guys and Gargano. All those guys are pretty much Triple H and Shawn guys and it says alot that these guys preferred to stay in NXT. These guys are probably in the best situation than anybody. These guys and Bryan because they've managed to leave WWE on good terms not only that but the NXT guys got to leave out looking strong which is unheard of in WWE. Especially if Hunter and Shawn are still in Power, these guys could come back treated as even bigger stars. Seeing as how WWE has been cutting people, it would be wrong to say I feel sorry for WWE but I do feel sorry for Hunter and Shawn and crew because they really invested in those guys and the talent seems to really like those guys in return.

It's interesting because we know WWE does not like the perception of losing someone of note to another company especially if they left on there own terms. So far they have a handful of them that didn't resign and you have a few more. I really want to see who's the guy the WWE does value like a Kevin Owens or even a Roderick Strong just going to give a ridiculously higher amount of money to stay and the person actually stays. It's weird how different 2 years makes. WWE was signing just about anyone to keep people's from AEW and even MLW, now they are letting guys go but like I said it has to be Killin them that they can't keep the guys they actually want to keep.

• Like 1

On watching some more Hardcore TV and I suspect that the ECW Arena lighting played tricks on the Peacock commercial break placement AI. In other words, it cut to break twice during the Beulah Pregnancy announcement angle and my theory is that the lighting made the commercial break placing robots think "hey, this is where a commercial break was located". 

Then again, House Party 96 is on the network anyways if you don't wanna deal with that, or if you wanna see the rest of Buh Buh Ray Dudley vs Jimmy Del Ray that was clipped.

Not sure where 1/16/96 ranks on the list of "Paul E or ECW fans might have issues with women" episodes (I'd guess that Francine taking the Total Elimination helped make the episode TV-MA on Peacock?)

3 hours ago, Gordberg said:

https://barbend.com/devon-larratt-arm-wrestle-adam-scherr-braun-strowman/

Adam Scherr (Braun) vs legendary Canadian arm-wrestler Devon Larrett.

Scherr does not exactly come across as a likable fellow in the video.

at the same time that is devon larratt and it's frankly a miracle more people haven't swung on him

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I've been thinking about if Triple H hadn't had that Heart issue,  if they would've had better luck at keeping those Undisputed Era guys and Gargano.

A couple things come to mind here. I was gonna say if the Haitch really wanted to keep them, he would've made it happen, since he reportedly threw a bunch of money and promises at Dunne to get him to stay.

BUT the timing is such that might have been BEFORE his heart thing. Also ... was HHH really not there on Tuesday? Haven't seen him in any pictures. You'd think if he COULD have been there for Gargano's finale, he would have been. If he's not allowed to travel ... maybe the issue was/is worse than we've been led to believe?

A quasi counterpoint to SRS's report from Meltzer in the new WON (and really it is just people parsing language right now). Spoiler tag just because it is a touch on the lengthy side.

Oh and the blurb is about both Gargano and Kyle O'Reilly

Spoiler

Both men are having new children in early 2022 and WWE is under the impression both are taking time off. Both were given offers for new deals by WWE and neither signed the deal, although Gargano’s deal, which expired two days before the show, signed a one-week extension. Gargano will be a free agent on 12/11 and then legally able to listen to and accept offers. From a legal standpoint, he could start work anywhere right after, although the indication is that he’s likely going to wait for his wife, Candice LeRae, to give birth, with the expected date being in February, before he returns to the ring.

In the case of Gargano, at press time he had not made up his mind and it was categorized by those close to him as a difficult decision. He was given a strong offer to stay, but the reality is he would be in NXT, with the new direction, he would not be the focus, but he probably would be kept somewhat strong with the idea of having him mean something to teach and put over the talent they are looking for on the main roster. Even though O’Reilly is a great wrestler, he’s not that special person to NXT fans. On the farewell television show, it was Gargano in the spotlight and O’Reilly just did his angle that would either give him something to come back for revenge for, or signal his exit, depending on what he wants to do.

Those at NXT are under the impression both will be back. But the reality is, both have new deals on the table, and neither signed them. Both could have signed and asked for time off. They wouldn’t have to not sign. Bryan Danielson was in the same position, in the sense when his deal was up, he didn’t sign a new deal, but had not decided not to go back either. He didn’t sign to keep his options opened. Plus, for Danielson, New Japan was a big part of the decision and WWE was trying to get an exclusive with New Japan, which if they got it, meant he would have stayed. When that didn’t happen, he made the decision to leave for three years, with the idea that if he made a mistake he could always return. But all situations are different. With O’Reilly more than Danielson or Gargano, leaving, provided AEW will give him a comparable offer, seems like a no-brainer. There is simply not future for him in NXT or WWE unless they offer him a coaching position and he’s thinking it’s time to get out. Otherwise, the only reason to stay is if AEW has no interest in him. And even if they don’t, there is always New Japan, as Takaaki Kidani loves him, and he’d also be able to get regular independent bookings that could up his value, which would not be elevated in WWE.

• Like 1

A couple of notes from the new WON regarding Jeff Hardy

- Jeff was told if he refused rehab, the WWE would have to "take action". He did refuse and the WWE chose to let him go instead of suspending him.

- He has a 90 day no compete that expires on 3/9/22

- Maybe this was on the sketchy fan videos but apparently neither Drew nor Woods knew Hardy had left during the match. "After McIntyre hit the Claymore kick to pin Jey, Jeff was nowhere to be found, after disappearing into the crowd. McIntyre even got on the mic and noted we seem to be missing a partner and said, “If found, please point him in our direction.”"

- Dave also posted a quote from Sean Waltman (which may or may not have been from Social Media)

Sean Waltman, who likely understands the subject better than almost anyone, since he lived it, wrote, “Not every relapse is a reason to do in patient rehab. My best recovery came many years after I did my third stint in rehab and had totally relapsed again. I came out of it on my own with the help of evidence based treatments and a hypnotherapist. While I’m grateful for them, the rehab industry is also a huge racket.”

Outsports did a QWA 200 (like the PWI 500, but for LGBTQ+ Wrestlers) over the last few days. Here is the top 20 (with links to the rest of list):

https://www.outsports.com/2021/12/9/22823126/qwi-200-lgbtq-pro-wrestling-wwe-aew-roh-impact-gcw-gay-bi-lesbian-trans-pan-nonbinary-day-7-top-20

• Like 4

What are the "evidence based treatments" that Waltman is talking about? Does that involve someone showing you the stupid shit you did while intoxicated and go "See, You did this! Are you happy now? This was all you!"? That sounds pretty effective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

What are the "evidence based treatments" that Waltman is talking about? Does that involve someone showing you the stupid shit you did while intoxicated and go "See, You did this! Are you happy now? This was all you!"? That sounds pretty effective.

You'd be amazed at how not-effective it is sometimes.

• Like 1