DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

I wonder if Oscar seat fillers get similar instructions about potential confrontations. You'd think everybody would understand the deal and be cool about it, but you probably still need to be on your toes and be ready to de-escalate if the person on their way back from the restroom is say the star of Boogie Nights. 

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Watching a late 1995 episode of Raw on Peacock, and I enjoy that the NFL Quarterback Club 96 "promotional considerations" commercial remained in the episode so many years later.

Also late 1995 was still when people could watch a TV like a normal person on WWF TV, like how Diesel just watched the monitor and came out with Jeff Hardy in Owen Hart's sharpshooter since that gave him more time than trying to prevent Jeff Hardy from getting squashed by the Banzai Drop.

Same week, Paul Orndorff wins a match with a backdrop (although Disco Inferno did his best to make it look like Paul Orndorff backdrop drivered him) so that the Horsemen could piledrive Paul Orndorff on the floor. All that effort creating a hideous Paul Orndorff theme song and it lasted like 2 months, at the most?

To be fair, Orndorff couldn't do much physically by that point. I watched that Nitro several months back. At least creatively speaking, they got an awesome visual and made the Horsemen look badass. Compare that to about a year later when it was kinda clear Arn probably wouldn't be back in the ring, and they never really followed up on the Halloween Havoc 96 stretcher job until Arn legit announced he was done several months later as part of something completely separate from that.

I also watched a December 95 ECW Hardcore TV today (ECW had never been on TV around my area until TNN, so this all would be relatively new-ish). Goodness, did they have a type when it comes to most of their 1995 valets.

Also the ECW Arena really looked smaller than one would expect after having heard about it for years. I mean, it never sounded big, but the mystique made it seem larger than that.

Yeah, the weird smells back then.

Anyway from Pwinsider

"WWE is teaming with White Castle and Grubhub for special meals that can be ordered through the online delivery service:

-The Natalya Meal features four Impossible Sliders, a 3 piece Cheese Stick and small Coke Zero Sugar for $8.36.

-The Dolph Ziggler Meal features four Bacon Cheese Sliders, a 6 piece Chicken Ring and medium Fanta Craver Party Punch.

There is also a WWE Crave Case featuring 10 Original Sliders, 10 American Cheese Sliders and 10 Jalapeno Cheese Sliders.

Fans can use code WWEWHITECASTLE while ordering to receive free delivery of orders over $15 as well as a $5 promo code to WWEShop.com."

WWE will also aim to do more product placements sometimes during some shows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Dog said:

Get an investor, homeboy. Viacom ain't got no wrestling. Netflix ain't got no wrestling. Seeing how quickly AEW started making shitloads of money, if there isn't a Big Third in the next two years, I think that's proof capitalism isn't as good at filling niches as it's supposed to be.

Given their thirst for content I'm amazed that they dont have even a small weekly promotion going out.

Fuck, call Dwayne and Dany Garcia. See if they want to back/produce a smaller scale wrestling project along the lines of Lucha Underground. Blur the line between soap opera/telenovela and in ring competition. Hype up big 'PPV' level shows on social media to get people to sign up.

Guys like Windham, Morrison, Kross & Scarlett, Breezango, The Bollywood Boyz, Maverick etc would all be great in that format. Strowman as your giant. Get a handful of luchadores to come through.

Maybe tee up some of the people that were involved with Chikara or PWG? Im not across who's been blacklisted or who's gone where from those promotions but they always had some great shows and brought the fun/comedy to wrestling a lot of the time.

They could even build it seasonally. Run say 8-10 weeks worth of shows that culminate in a 'PPV'/blow off special. Have 3 or 4 seasons a year that build up a new challenger to the title.

I think it could be fantastic.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 4

Mike Quackenbush was the brains behind CHIKARA and he's blacklisted, but he's trying to come back. The minds behind PWG were six people, right? Excalibur is in AEW, Super Dragon is obviously still doing PWG, I'm sure you at least know about all of the Joey Ryan stuff, I'm pretty sure Scott Lost is a comic book artist or something, and Disco Machine is just a normal dude now I guess. No clue about Talwar.

Seven Bucks Productions aren't going to get involved with a wrestling promotion, I'll go ahead and call that right now.

I mean, if Freddie was serious, I'm sure he could lure a Finlay and/or a Steamboat or something. When was he on the booking committee? If WWE was doing well then, I think that would be enough to convince someone to invest.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D.Z said:

Yeah, the weird smells back then.

Anyway from Pwinsider

"WWE is teaming with White Castle and Grubhub for special meals that can be ordered through the online delivery service:

-The Natalya Meal features four Impossible Sliders, a 3 piece Cheese Stick and small Coke Zero Sugar for $8.36.

-The Dolph Ziggler Meal features four Bacon Cheese Sliders, a 6 piece Chicken Ring and medium Fanta Craver Party Punch.

There is also a WWE Crave Case featuring 10 Original Sliders, 10 American Cheese Sliders and 10 Jalapeno Cheese Sliders.

Fans can use code WWEWHITECASTLE while ordering to receive free delivery of orders over $15 as well as a $5 promo code to WWEShop.com."

WWE will also aim to do more product placements sometimes during some shows.

Vince thinking White Castle is hot with The Kids can only mean his  pop culture knowledge has hit 1986 and he's been listening to Licensed to Ill nonstop.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, L_W_P said:

a smaller scale wrestling project along the lines of Lucha Underground. Blur the line between soap opera/telenovela and in ring competition. Hype up big 'PPV' level shows on social media to get people to sign up.

They could even build it seasonally. Run say 8-10 weeks worth of shows that culminate in a 'PPV'/blow off special. Have 3 or 4 seasons a year that build up a new challenger to the title.

I think it could be fantastic.

i too would love to see a short term/seasonal Southpaw promotion.

• Like 2

I think the most interesting thing a Netflix or someone could do with a promotion would be to treat it like the Olympics of pro-wrestling, an invitational of sorts. 

Yes, there are lots of guys who could comprise a third major promotion. Maybe you have your top 10 guys on contracts. But to me, the real risk in that is that anyone who shines would immediately be gobbled up by one of the big two as soon as their deal is up - plus it probably isn't that cost effective, not to mention it would likely have to be one of those shitty LU deals where they have no idea how long it's gonna last, so you're locked in forever.

So instead, you have your top 5-10 signed, but everyone else is just guys sent from other promotions who happen to be available during the taping schedule. Its a weird idea, but if I'm a TNA, NWA, or MLW, I definitely wouldn't mind the advertising. Obviously, AEW has a huge national TV platform already - maybe if they're involved, you send over an Anna Jay or a Danny Garcia for some seasoning instead of a Sting or whoever.

You could build each season around a tournament, and work with their "home" promotions to put together a hype package for each guy. Maybe each home promotion gets a block of the bracket, so you reduce the politicking/finish changing/etc. down to only the last 4-6 matches.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I can't even think of the last time I saw a White Castle, let alone stepped inside one. I figured they went out of business until I saw that post. 

When I was still shooting news, I covered a wedding at a White Castle.  I was super-hungover that day.  The manager of the restaurant cave us a Crave Case to take back to the station and share with everyone.  I took it and sat in my car and ate the whole thing.  I'm decidedly not a fan of White Castle, but it is nice on a hangover.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7