DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

19 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

There’s an alternate universe where Sami and Bayley are wildly popular, friendly millennial babyfaces and WWE is in another boom period.

Of course, in that universe, Vince got therapy and discovered medical marijuana years ago.

since we're talking about Wrestling's great Two Way Players (good face & good heel) I'm really bummed that Bayley's been robbed of a year's worth of proving that she's one of 'em. Not that there's ever a good time to have a knee injury but, yeah.

and/or that they're not at least stealing the playbook from when "retired" Randy Savage had to miss a year with his knee, and slowly turning her back face from the broadcast booth

• Like 2

Even though his whole career basically lasted 6 years, The Rock has to be up there as face and heel right?

Nation Heel
Corporate Heel
People's Champ Face
Hollywood Heel

And even though he seemed to be more comfortable as a heel, Babyface Luger was over AF in both WWE and WCW. The Lex Express was great and it was only the booking that crippled him as a top, top headliner. Same in WCW.

Luger beating Hogan for the title could have very well been the start of the end for the nWo. Sting v Hogan could have easily been a Starrcade main event without the title. Luger could have defended against Bagwell in the semi main. Or a champion vs champion match with Hennig.

Give him the proper support and booking in either run and I think he would have been great.

• Like 6

On 12/3/2021 at 9:49 PM, supremebve said:

Is this in relation to American wrestling?  Is this something your local wrestling values?  I was wondering if other countries with wrestling traditions care. I don't know whether anyone actually cares what lucha or Japanese wrestlers say or if they are judged by Mexican or Japanese fans based on whether or not they can cut a promo. 

Tangentially related as I'm not a local, but as a non-Japanese speaker I can watch post-match interviews and appreciate those who either offer believable commentary or use the segment as an opportunity to engage the audience even if they're not convincing anyone. If neither of those things are there then there isn't really reason for me to care.

Goto is a name often dropped when the subject of people who should've been IWGP champ comes up, but I can't remember him saying anything of interest either to me or seemingly himself. His character may be stoic and the notion that all these guys should have engaging comments about their latest fued-extending tag match is one born of lunacy, but still an opportunity missed and maybe that was a factor why he wasn't seen as having the same popularity potential as others.

FWIW, my usual answer to the question of which NJPW names I'd like to see in AEW is the whole Ingobernables gang in some big-ass tag match. Partially because that format is more likely than fantasy booking a twenty minute singles but also because I reckon you could give them a minute to cut a group promo and viewers would come out of it more invested in their characters despite the language barrier. Was going to say that in their case having distinctive looks helps, but I guess how you come across when speaking is also part of that look. Not sure where mic skills begin and just having a character that you can communicate to the audience consistently ends, whether that's trash talking while walking down the ramp or doing a sit-down media interview. Different places of work will require and reward different routes of getting that across.

So it sounds like Jeff Hardy may have had some kind of relapse or are they called it a "rough night"  as he was pulling from some shows.   Given that they just showed the Skull Sessions with him talking about his past this is just awful.   Also kind of makes sense that Jeff didn't get that match against Reigns which seemed like the only remaining match left on Smackdown

• Sad 2

The full context on the Jeff Hardy thing

Jeff Hardy was reportedly sent home following a match that took place over the weekend at a WWE house show event.

PWInsider reported tonight that Jeff Hardy was sent home from the road and did not appear at tonight’s house show in Corpus Christi, Texas. On Saturday, he teamed with Xavier Woods and Drew McIntyre against The Bloodline (Roman Reigns and The Usos) at a event in Edinburg, Texas. He spent most of the match in the ring and was said to be more sluggish as the match continued. He reportedly made a hot tag to McIntyre then walked out through the crowd, followed by security, and did not return to the ring after Woods and McIntyre won.

Rey Mysterio replaced Hardy in the match on tonight's show.

• Sad 3

22 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Hey, @The Natural are you feeling better, physically, btw? Recovering from the tumble alright? Hope so!

Thanks for asking, @Shartnado. Appreciate that. A combination of the fall and doctors tweaking my medicines is causing me to be in the Powers of Pain.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 1

I‘m trying to figure out how you wander around backstage at a WWE show and no one notices you are high or drunk until you get in the ring.  I haven’t seen the fan video that’s going around, but it sounds like it was fairly obvious Hardy was in no condition to perform. Surely, at some point he talked to an agent or another wrestler and they should have realized he was off.  Can you really walk around backstage and go to the ring without passing Vince or whoever is in charge?

Hardy’s done this a couple times over the years.  To me, he’s probably at least as likely to seriously injure someone as a drunk-driving Uso.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 2

TNA somehow allowed him to work a WORLD TITLE MATCH like that! I know, "LOL TNA," but still. Sting with the Scorpion Death Drop/shoot pin/disgusted look combo is one of the most surreal things I've ever seen in pro wrestling.

• Like 6

I much prefer the reading that Jeff Hardy, in the middle of a limp punch exchange, had an existential crisis. "What am I doing here? Didn't I save enough of my Attitude-era money? I'm going to be fifty soon enough, and my hips and knees will be metal replacements. How did I get to this point?"

Then, he just fucking leaves. He goes home to North Carolina, and the next we hear of him six years down the road, he's doing wet-on-wet nature paintings in his garage all day like a New Age Bob Ross. His only drug is art. 

I am rooting for this scenario. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I much prefer the reading that Jeff Hardy, in the middle of a limp punch exchange, had an existential crisis. "What am I doing here? Didn't I save enough of my Attitude-era money? I'm going to be fifty soon enough, and my hips and knees will be metal replacements. How did I get to this point?"

Then, he just fucking leaves. He goes home to North Carolina, and the next we hear of him six years down the road, he's doing wet-on-wet nature paintings in his garage all day like a New Age Bob Ross. His only drug is art. 

I am rooting for this scenario. 

I want to see this art.  Whatever happy little things he has in his head to put on canvas, I'm down for it.

Just watched the Broken Skull w/ Jeff a few days ago and loved it. Sad for anything bad like that to happen again.

Matt made a statement but didn't really say much other than that Jeff is at home and is okay.

"I did speak to Jeff for a little bit today and he's okay, he's good," Matt said. "I think he'll be fine but once again, this isn't my business and if he wants to go into it in more detail then he'll do it himself. Jeff is okay. He is at home and he is okay. It's not my business. It's not my story to tell or explain and besides that, I wouldn't be able to do it justice anyway because it's not from my perspective. So I love my brother and I just want my brother to be okay and healthy."

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Even though his whole career basically lasted 6 years, The Rock has to be up there as face and heel right?

Nation Heel
Corporate Heel
People's Champ Face
Hollywood Heel

And even though he seemed to be more comfortable as a heel, Babyface Luger was over AF in both WWE and WCW. The Lex Express was great and it was only the booking that crippled him as a top, top headliner. Same in WCW.

Luger beating Hogan for the title could have very well been the start of the end for the nWo. Sting v Hogan could have easily been a Starrcade main event without the title. Luger could have defended against Bagwell in the semi main. Or a champion vs champion match with Hennig.

Give him the proper support and booking in either run and I think he would have been great.

Agreed 1000%, gotta co-sign any love for the Luger runs. I love the Lex Express run and the 97 title win, not to mention the classic 80s work. 

-During a new interview with Ariel Helwani, Freddie Prinze Jr. expressed his desire to create his own wrestling promotion following the mass amount of WWE releases. "Everybody sees that and they get sad, I get hungry. I was in Karrion Kross' DMs the day it happened and was like "Hey man, I didn't go back to work for fun, I went back to work to invest in things." Imagine having Keith Lee and Karrion Kross on the same roster and making people wait to watch them fight, just keeping their stories connected but separate." Prinze said it would be on an indy level because he's not looking to put $50 million in or anything, but noted there is so much talent out there and he thinks people would love to watch it. Prinze added that he has spoke with networks about their interest and TV rights. 

-Scotty 2 Hotty announced today that he is coming out of retirement for the first time in 5 years following leaving his WWE job as a Performance Center Coach. Scotty, now 48, said his goals for next year are to have fun, wrestle in Japan, Mexico, and the UK as well as in front of his kids and on national TV. His no compete clause ends on December 23. 

Get an investor, homeboy. Viacom ain't got no wrestling. Netflix ain't got no wrestling. Seeing how quickly AEW started making shitloads of money, if there isn't a Big Third in the next two years, I think that's proof capitalism isn't as good at filling niches as it's supposed to be.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 5

Watching a late 1995 episode of Raw on Peacock, and I enjoy that the NFL Quarterback Club 96 "promotional considerations" commercial remained in the episode so many years later.

Also late 1995 was still when people could watch a TV like a normal person on WWF TV, like how Diesel just watched the monitor and came out with Jeff Hardy in Owen Hart's sharpshooter since that gave him more time than trying to prevent Jeff Hardy from getting squashed by the Banzai Drop.

Same week, Paul Orndorff wins a match with a backdrop (although Disco Inferno did his best to make it look like Paul Orndorff backdrop drivered him) so that the Horsemen could piledrive Paul Orndorff on the floor. All that effort creating a hideous Paul Orndorff theme song and it lasted like 2 months, at the most?