DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

Just now, Mister TV said:

People seem to forget

This right here is the entire problem with Garvin's reign,  people flat out forget all of it. There's not a single memorable moment,  so people kind of just fill the hole with nonsense. Everybody remembers that it happened,  and that they didn't like it.  All the details are lost and up to our imagination to fill in. 

Liger vs. Rey is really, really hard. Outside of short runs in WCW, we never got to see Liger work matches week after week, for better or worse. The dips in Rey's career (post-unmasking in WCW, various points in his WWE career) have been pretty low at times, but I think things would look different if Rey was wrestling 1-2 matches a month on broadcast instead of working the same guy for 5-8 matches in a 4 week period. That's going to stifle anyone in terms of bringing the best to their work.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

The victory itself, especially the shock of the crowd and the post-match celebration with the locker room coming out, was very cool though.

Yeah,  I watched it for the first time a few years ago and was surprised how much I was engaged with it. Garvin was pretty over at the time and it felt like a big deal. The problem was there was nothing to follow that moment up. It was a fun match with a surprising finish,  and then nothing. If you're going to put someone over Flair at that point,  he has to be pushed as a superstar afterwards or it's not going to go over. Flair was everything you could possibly want from a champion. Flair raised the ceiling for the entire promotion. Garvin was pretty good, but unless he was going to be pushed as a killer it was going to fail. 

This would have been the perfect time for the old Dusty finish. Have Garvin get the visual pin,  have everyone come out and celebrate,  while in the background an official is arguing with the ref and they have to restart the match. Flair goes over and they push Garvin as a man who feels he got a raw deal up to the rematch at Starrcade. Garvin could kick ass every week on TV,  Flair could try to get out of the rematch, and there is a story to be told. The way it happened didn't leave much for them to do,  because everyone knew Flair was going to get the belt back, because he was Ric Fucking Flair,  and Garvin was not. 

Sneeze and you'll miss it.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/vince-mcmahon-wwe-netflix-docuseries-debut-2022-361271

The much-anticipated Netflix docuseries focused on the life of WWE chairman Vince McMahon will debut at some point in 2022, according to Stephanie McMahon.

Speaking at a March of Dimes event, she revealed the news but the timing of the release is to be determined.

"I am equal parts excited and really nervous. I don't know what it's going to say, but it's going to capture his life and his story, which so richly deserves to be told," she said about the still untitled series.

The news was first announced during the 2020 third quarter earnings call by president Nick Khan which he said would be one of the highest-budgeted docuseries in Netflix history. On a call this year, he said the early footage he had seen was "out of this world."

The Ringer's Bill Simmons is an executive producer and was a driving force behind the well-received Andre the Giant documentary for HBO. Chris Smith, who directed Netflix's Fyre Festival documentary, is directing and is also an producer along with WWE Studios.

This is not to be confused with the "United States of America vs. Vince McMahon" scripted series being developed by WWE and Blumhouse Media.

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Only Rey gave up an eye for this business

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Pirata Morgan frowns.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

So does Carl Styles. And PCO. 

Yeah, well, at least Ciclope didn't have to worry about any of that.  ...yet.

at the risk of proposing a questionable taste angle in a week where heels were blamed on-screen for WWE firings... how long until some masked wrestler (or somebody wearing a mask to evade a stipulation) claims they're wearing a mask to protect their health from the dirty fans? it's probably still way too soon for a germophobe gimmick where the ring is sprayed down but..

14 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

at the risk of proposing a questionable taste angle in a week where heels were blamed on-screen for WWE firings... how long until some masked wrestler (or somebody wearing a mask to evade a stipulation) claims they're wearing a mask to protect their health from the dirty fans? 

There's a pretty notable example of them pointlessly giving a top guy this promo. It helped him decide to leave the company at a pretty opportune moment for some other upstart venture. 

You'd like to think they learned their lesson...

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 6

Yeah.. speaking of Ambrose.. the screenshot teasers of his book make it seem sorta like a late 90s/early 2000s teen/young adult sort of page design. Like it's a book being sold in a Spencer's Gifts.

Anyways... there needs to be a subtle heel touch.. like the masked heel claiming he's wearing a mask for health reasons, but the mask exposes his mouth because heels lie and some people would forget that. Although there is a risk of alienating the people with body odor who buy ringside at a lot of cards.

Then again, i'd also risk getting somebody kidnapped in Mexico by having a heel using the name "Pandemico" (which isn't actually the Spanish word for Pandemic [that word is Pandemia] but whatever), so it's possible I could lose somebody a lot of money if given the opportunity

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Did they not push Garvin's house show matches on tv the same way they did Flair's? They would drive home when, where and who Flair would be defending the belt against, maybe they didn't do that for the Hands of Stone title defenses for some goofy reason.

People seem to forget that Garvin only held the title for two months, a short feud with a non-Flair heel really couldn't get rolling in that time frame.

I think you'd have to track down the localized promos, because all that survived on the TBS shows was the same "Star X, Star Y, and many others in Town!" hype when they ran down tour dates back in those days. And even then, it's not like the local promos would have said much. Most of Garvin's defenses were against Flair anyway.

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

No. So, how about those damn kids and their rap music?

The Jungle Boy and Danielson matched are making me think I prefer Anthony Bowens as a singles guy with Caster as stooge/hypeman more than I enjoy the Acclaimed's tag stuff.

• Like 4

I'll be vague about how I know of this, but some of the local promos for companies owned by the WWE didn't get a "hey, your video has our stuff on it" notice stuck on it. This wasn't even for a huge territory, it was for Smoky Mountain promos, which had like maybe a main feed and like 2 or 3 markets for local promos. Perhaps the assortment of local promos aren't in the computer used by YouTube for these things. Like some of that stuff possibly got tossed out between airing in a local market and the company getting bought.

I am not liable if you upload a local promo that gets your account struck down from YouTube. The WWE will not give you money if your clip is used on their stuff (like how a Bret vs Andre match from Italy was pulled from YouTube and put on one of their things.

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

The Jungle Boy and Danielson matched are making me think I prefer Anthony Bowens as a singles guy with Caster as stooge/hypeman more than I enjoy the Acclaimed's tag stuff.

I agree with this 100%. I’m impressed every time I see Bowens. He’s fun to watch in ring and can really go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

There's a pretty notable example of them pointlessly giving a top guy this promo. It helped him decide to leave the company at a pretty opportune moment for some other upstart venture. 

You'd like to think they learned their lesson...

I thought you were talking about John Cena.

Sorry, I mean his cousin, Juan Cena.

It's a bit unfair as you had your victims tied to the ground like Gulliver with the Lilliputians and then just stomped in circles over and over. It's actually how you became a lawyer.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Young Rey to me was nothing but ranas.

I feel like this is an unfair criticism.  Not only was he more than just ranas, even if he was just ranas he still would have been awesome. It is crazy how many different versions of the rana he could pull off,  and how it was something he rarely did after his knees went.

• Like 2