DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 12/1/21

Just Dave

24 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I dispute the "wouldn't work in a wrestling context" part. Lucha Underground wasn't afraid to kill off characters without expecting anybody to think the performers who portrayed them had died. AEW should take inspiration from Lucha Underground (in so many ways).

I don't hate the idea, but it flies in the face of the idea that it's a more sport-based show. It would make an interesting hook for a smaller organization like NWA or Impact, though. Or really anywhere that wants a very clear tonal difference from the rest of wrestling. For example, I thought that whole Jeff Katz WRP thing had potential for something like this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I don't hate the idea, but it flies in the face of the idea that it's a more sport-based show. It would make an interesting hook for a smaller organization like NWA or Impact, though. Or really anywhere that wants a very clear tonal difference from the rest of wrestling. For example, I thought that whole Jeff Katz WRP thing had potential for something like this. 

hard disagree on Katz' "promotion" being able to do something like this. I just REVIEWED the entire series and the only time they got anything close to "mature" storytelling, it was f'ing terrible. All other storytelling was pedestrian.

Now, i could see Lucha Underground having some success with this. It probably could have worked (in an entirely un-Rocky kind of way) in WSX. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, twiztor said:

hard disagree on Katz' "promotion" being able to do something like this. I just REVIEWED the entire series and the only time they got anything close to "mature" storytelling, it was f'ing terrible. All other storytelling was pedestrian.

Now, i could see Lucha Underground having some success with this. It probably could have worked (in an entirely un-Rocky kind of way) in WSX. 

Dead serious, I had no idea footage was out. I was going by shit that I read here almost a decade ago. Def gonna check out your review on my lunch break, thanks man.

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm not a big podcast guy, but there is a suuuuper cathartic, very NSFW clip on YouTube of Conrad Thompson unloading on Bischoff about it that I think you'd enjoy

I'm not either but I'll check that out. Cheers!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

True, Impact had Allie stabbed/murdered by Su Yung to write her off when she left for AEW.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Impact is at its best when it goes for the goofy. They had an angle with Su Yung recently where she split personalities/characters and became both a hot businesswoman (Susan) and a hot innocent naive wrestler (Suzy) along with hot ghost/zombie/onryo/whatever. And don't get me started on the hilarity of Wrestle House and Swinger's Palace. Or WRESTLE COURT! Boy, having Dreamer judge a trial on Joey Ryan won't age well. 

EDIT: Okay, I'll just say it. Suzy was a little girl persona but it felt weird to write "hot little girl". Think Alexa Bliss in the overalls and ponytails and you'll get my drift. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, JLowe said:

I’m gonna have to track that down on YouTube...

Fair warning - she was Allie, not "the Bunny." Sweet, put-upon assistant to Maria. I won't say any more than that because it's a fun storyline, just don't expect the same character.

• Like 4

On 12/5/2021 at 4:58 PM, elizium said:

The Laurel Van Ness (Chelsea Green)/Braxton Sutter (The Blade) wedding on Impact is still the best wrestling wedding ever. That whole angle with Allie was amazing

I started watching this, but had to stop when the closed captions told me one of the commentators had just said 'syphilis soaks up your dog', because nothing is topping that.

• Haha 5

On 12/5/2021 at 11:58 AM, elizium said:

The Laurel Van Ness (Chelsea Green)/Braxton Sutter (The Blade) wedding on Impact is still the best wrestling wedding ever. That whole angle with Allie was amazing

God knows I hate shit like this, but this is great.  Chelsea Green and Maria Bennett are so awesome in this.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 11:58 AM, elizium said:

Apologies to Okada/Omega I, but this is your true 2017 Match of the Year. Hyper-athletic Tokyo Dome main events have been done before and after, a perfectly booked trashy wrestling wedding is WAY higher on the degree of difficulty. Or at least history would make you think. Do we know who produced it?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love every second of that wedding. 

How has Rosemary never made a leap to NXT or AEW? I have never watched any Impact except for whatever stuff she has been involved with, and I love every second of it. She also from what I have watched seemed like she’s at least decent in ring.

• Like 1