DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 12/1/21

Just Dave

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I was coming here to say this too. Punk is obviously very aware of what's going on but this was one of the biggest star pickups they could have gotten and presenting him as a diminished, over the hill, wash up, even as the heel saying it. Well... it's being presented with a spark of truth. If they had done that with Punk in two years, that'd be one thing, but he's in his first six months in the company. I don't know how much of this is having to contrast him with Danielson's unbridled aggression (as he debuted at around the same time) or maybe Punk feeling like he can't keep up with guys like Omega, but on face value, it's a mistake. There's a reason that Ventura wasn't allowed to mock Hogan's hairline.

But again, Punk isn't an idiot and unless he really does feel self-conscious to the point where he feels like he has to have the programs speak to it, there's something else at play here and it'll it'll play out over the next few months.

I like the concept of the story. He’s been gone for so long that he’s still rusty, but has the wisdom to still come out ahead. It’s a story that requires some level of nuisance that maybe MJF struggles with. The concept makes sense, and if Punk was being genuine about have a list of young guys he wants to work with and help, this is the storyline you do. We’ll see how it all plays out. I will say, I prefer this slow CM Punk rise to his former glory to Christian Cage pinning the champion 9 matches into his return (with chair shenanigans, of course). But bringing that up may be besides the point because I recall that being an audible when Hangman was out? Regardless, I’m enjoying the current concept of what Punk is interesting. I can see it not hitting with people at the same time.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
6 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I did not know that about Sheetz.  I am now Sheetz Freaks adjacent.

I can confirm this about Sheetz.

But you definitely don't want to eat anything that isn't their fried pickles, assuming they haven't gotten rid of them and started trolling people on social media about it again, NOT LIKE I WASN'T BITTER ABOUT THAT OR ANYTHING.

I thought Stat/Ruby was terrific and had no problem with Ruby’s sell of that kick out. It fit the story they were building with Stat being a tank that Ruby was lucky to survive, and it came after a sickass series of moves that the crowd bit on as a finish. To me, it’s only the goofy “NXT Face” if there’s no solid rhyme or reason to it and/or nobody is buying what you’re selling.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Log said:

I didn't mind the fire spot as a spot, but I feel like it happened in the wrong match.

That spot should be the death blow at the end of a feud. Should've happened in a Cody/Malakai Black match, IMO.  That's the dude he's got the serious beef with, not Andrade. 

I had the same thought when it happened, and after having slept on it, I truly think the story they're going to tell is that feuding with Malekai has corrupted Cody's soul, he's gotta tap into the "dark side" to win, etc. 

I'd bet money that the eventual blowoff with Malekai features Cody looking at an international object like "Should I...?" like Jungle Boy with the chair a couple weeks ago, or the Sami Zayn/Pac NXT title match a few years ago.

• Like 2

AEW (or Tony) is at its bet with traditional wrestling live matches.  The taped spectacles (Stadium Stampede) although not my favorite have been fun as well. But truly hardcore wrestling FMW so far has been a absolute miss. AEW managed to laugh off the exploding ring fiasco, but it's just not their wheelhouse at all.   I know some guys want that style, but it's a clear miss for me. 

Sting/Darby and the Gunn Club was pure fun

• Like 3

Y'all are getting goofy with these references, it wasn't like they were rolling around in glass, salt and rubbing alcohol. The rest of the match was a standard US No-DQ match like WWE or anybody else would put on. It just had one absurd spot at the end that was more of Cody being a try-hard. Honestly both chair spots were way nastier. 

Kind of a middling episode. Punk match wasn't good, tag match was standard, women's match was fine but ate up by the break, MJF was doing fine until he fully got the mic and directly stepped in it. That was so embarrassing I just muted him. Best thing was definitely smug Danielson. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Y'all are getting goofy with these references, it wasn't like they were rolling around in glass, salt and rubbing alcohol. The rest of the match was a standard US No-DQ match like WWE or anybody else would put on. It just had one absurd spot at the end that was more of Cody being a try-hard. Honestly both chair spots were way nastier. 

Nope. Cody is now the love child of Jun Kasai and John Zandig. Embrace our new Death Match hero!

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Nothing more Horsemenesque than Jose helping Arn up after that spill on the ramp and then Arn tagging the shit out of him right away. 

Respect for the cameraman trying and failing to keep Jose helping Arn up out of his shot.

How did Lio Rush get put in a mouthpiece role when he can't talk at all?  Every promo is so awkward.  I had figured this whole thing was building to Darius coming back to 'save' Dante from Lio's machinations but I have no idea what's going on now.

Really big night for people hearing footsteps behind them.

• Haha 1

This thread is a bummer. It's also kind of convinced me I'm probably out of touch. There's multiple negative takes on the flaming table spot. And I'm legitimately shocked by that. It's a bunch of people too, a lot who are generally positives most weeks, so I gotta be the one with the wrong take then I guess. Because I thought it was dope as fuck. So I'm left to kind of break things down and ask a few questions to see why my opinion is so different than the the rest of the thread.

Do you like the Reverse Suplex off the top as move in regular form? A whole lot of people shit talking the execution. So do you like the way it looks as a move normally? If the answer is no I can understand still not liking it when it's leveled up with fire. But if you normally do then I totally don't get shitting on the execution. It was the same move it's always been. Cody's back takes the brunt of the bump. In Kayfabe Andrade's face / torso takes the impact. Like the visual of this is exactly what the visual of The reverse Suplex always is, which I've never seen shit on before. And if you pause it during the impact (I did), yes Cody back is in fire, but Andrade's whole face is in fire and looks like an explosion went off in his face. Face damage > back damage.

Someone mentioned why didn't Brandi move the table. Keep in mind the human aspect of the execution. You can't make a guy take fire in the face. Andrade might have agreed to take the spot but only if they did it in a safe way to where he's not in danger of getting his face burnt off. The table placement was definitely agreed to ahead of time I'd think. Andrade most likely was okay with the spot if he could essentially land with his feet under him and able to flop away immediately.

Also someone asked rhetorically if maybe Cody's back was burnt up from practicing the spot earlier in the day. Not trying to pick on ya but that is just insanity to even consider lol. ZERO percent chance they practiced landing in fire. Now they probably practiced burning the table to see the speed of the burn rate. They probably practiced the move and positioning of the landing to keep Andrade safe, may have even done that with a table (which is normally never done). But I promise you no one is going to practice a bump into live fire with a camera off. If something goes wrong during practice it's an emergency and you didn't even get a TV moment out of it. If something goes wrong on live TV, it's still an emergency but at least you get a TV moment out of it.

I will end by asking the question, is this a legitimate beef with the spot? Or are people kind of done with Cody so whatever he does makes you roll your eyes? I mean both answers are valid. I'm just genuinely curious. I dig Cody's stuff more often than not. But that isn't shading my view on the bump. I'd think anyone pulling it off with that exact same execution is fucking crazy and dope as fuck. So is it a Cody thing? (The Blood & Guts finish was shit on in a similar way and I loved that. So I'm starting to just assume the things I grew up admiring and loving are just not what the younger audience love and admire today).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Hey, now.  Sheetz also has free air when someone has not vandalized the pump.  The air machine also has an automatic pressure gauge.

I am Team WaWa because the freshly made club sandwiches and coffee is the best meal for those of us who occasionally work night duty.  The microwaved sliders at Sheetz are only good for feeding swine.

The Thanksgiving Sandwich that Sheetz makes during holiday season is the bee's knees.

1 hour ago, chriskbrown50 said:

AEW (or Tony) is at its bet with traditional wrestling live matches.  The taped spectacles (Stadium Stampede) although not my favorite have been fun as well. But truly hardcore wrestling FMW so far has been a absolute miss. AEW managed to laugh off the exploding ring fiasco, but it's just not their wheelhouse at all.   I know some guys want that style, but it's a clear miss for me. 

Sting/Darby and the Gunn Club was pure fun

I thought the Gage match was perfect for what it was, but otherwise agreed. 

• Like 1

Can we now please pretty please be done with this and get Andrade out of the Cody Booking Vortex?

Is "Cody's fire protectant spray" this generation's "Ultimate Warrior's helmet ballcap?"

Can we please stop trying to make Brandi a thing?

After watching Dark Side, my first thought was "oh god I hope that's lighter fluid and not charcoal fluid!"

Cody with the rule of 3's for the weapons gag!

How does the son of Dusty Rhodes show up to a streetfight NOT dressed in jeans with kneepads on top and a some kind of outlaw country gimme tee?  Fucking sacrilege.

Dug Andrade showing up looking like he works for Joe Cabot.  (That line was for @Nice Guy Eddie)

Jose the Assistant is jacked!  WTF

LOL @ Taz, ECW Legend Who Knows This Shit, criticizing Andrade's "getting the table into the ring" technique multiple times.

Darby's dives are fucking insane.  I jumped off the couch at that second one.

Oh man they're going to sacrifice Thunder Rosa to Jade.  Ugh.

Ruby getting the New Toys Push over a better worker sucks.  

Larry David's pajamas!

Stop with the fucking surprised kickout face for fuck's sake!  Ruby out here looking like Marty Feldman.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

Are there actually people who thought the outcome of the TBS title tournament was going to be anything but Jade winning it all? She’s undefeated, she’s not gonna lose to fuckin’ Ruby Soho or Nyla Rose. Thunder Rosa is destined for better things in 2022 anyway, we all know this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Cody putting himself through a flaming table and people are just making fun of the spot and saying it was dumb is the perfect reaction. I'm not saying it isn't justified, but it really fits into his storyline perfectly where he is trying to do things to impress the fans and the fans just think he's an idiot.

It'd make more sense if the announcers pointed that out if that's what they are going for.

Case in point his reality show didn't even point out the tone deafness of his stupid promo about racism. Treated it as this beautiful and heartwarming moment instead of the dumpster fire that it was. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I can confirm this about Sheetz.

But you definitely don't want to eat anything that isn't their fried pickles, assuming they haven't gotten rid of them and started trolling people on social media about it again, NOT LIKE I WASN'T BITTER ABOUT THAT OR ANYTHING.

Carved turkey MTO slaps tho. 

31 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I was fine with the flaming table spot. I had more of a problem with Cody dressed in wrestling gear when Andrade came out looking like a boss. 

This. Street Fight needs jeans. White tops for when the blood flows.

• Like 5