DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 12/1/21

Just Dave

This was his first time talking in front of the audience live in AEW, wasn't it? He could also be one of those guys like Shane Douglas who is a great heel character but works better in the ring as a face. Lots of time for him to adjust tho but that wasn't good. You could hear the arena air conditioning or something at times tonight, including in the Punk match and early on in the Statlander/Soho match in addition to Lio before he pleaded for the audience to give a damn. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jiji said:

He could also be one of those guys like Shane Douglas who is a great heel character but works better in the ring as a face.

AEW is drowning in these. Or maybe it just seems like they are because it describes the entire Elite, two-thirds of Death Triangle and at least half of the Inner Circle.

I wanted to be down on Lio but his in-ring stuff got over instantly and he can definitely do a tecnico diferente thing.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

Cody putting himself through a flaming table and people are just making fun of the spot and saying it was dumb is the perfect reaction. I'm not saying it isn't justified, but it really fits into his storyline perfectly where he is trying to do things to impress the fans and the fans just think he's an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

AEW is drowning in these. Or maybe it just seems like they are because it describes the entire Elite, two-thirds of Death Triangle and at least half of the Inner Circle.

Kenny and the Bucks recent run seems to argue your point quite well.

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Kenny and the Bucks recent run seems to argue your point quite well.

When the Bucks are faces they actually sell. The second Kenny won the IWGP they knew to turn him face, really after the second Okada match. Nah, that super-high-degree-of-difficulty stuff gets pops. It's face work. They just can't get pops doing face promos.

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

When the Bucks are faces they actually sell. The second Kenny won the IWGP they knew to turn him face. Nah, that super-high-degree-of-difficulty stuff gets pops. It's face work.

What you like and what works are different things in this scenario.  

BURNING FUCKING TABLE!  AWWWESOME!  Cody is a face again.  He Terry Funked himself back over.  The Ruby Soho match was surprisingly good.  Sting/Darby was fucking great because it was Sting in Atlanta.  Darby is awesome.  Bryan Danielson/Alan Angels was really good.  CM Paunk/Lee Moriarty was good.  MJF on color was annoying,  That was quality pro wrestling.  BURNING TABLE!  They need an exploding table next. 

• Like 8

At least in AEW both the Bucks and Kenny were way better as heels than they were as faces. Redemption Kenny is still peak Kenny for me and I hope we get that when he returns. Bucks do sell as heels it's just not as central to their matches when heels which is the right way to do it. They bump for their opponents and sell enough. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Yes.

Ah, shit, I agree with you.

I’ll watch Punk work with lower tier guys until this planet finally gives up on us. It’s really fun, and sooner or later he’s headed for a World title program/run.

My one complaint is that I wish they’d stick him in a long term feud, besides these multi week feuds. Kingston stuff is great, now he’s moved to a program with Jericho, 2.0 and Daniel Garcia. While that’s great, I rather have Kingston and Punk still going at it. But I guess they can revisit it down the road, but I don’t see it happening.

• Like 1

The Elite/Best Friends segment was bizarre.  Cole comes out for a mystery guest commentary moment. While there was no match scheduled Orange Cassidy came out for another nearly full entrance.  Luckily for both Cole and OC they are feuding.  A Christmas miracle blesses us early and there is a confrontation between them…and all their rowdy friends come out on Wednesday night.  Thankfully they do know what it means.  

It ended up in the right place but wrestlers announced as commentators and wrestlers for non-existent matches is something you might see from 96-01.  

I didn’t want to invoke Russo’s name but it was totally from his playbook..or whoever he swiped it from during the MNW.  The details don’t matter.  All that you need to remember is who got the last shot or last word before they are SHOUTED TO THE BREAK!

Kris Statlander deserved to win her match.  I like Ruby a lot but Statlander has had most of the better performances since Ruby debuted in September.  Hopefully Ruby/Rosa is the final.  

It won’t be.  

Let’s see how Jade works a longer match two more times.  After she wins the belt they can go back to just Goldberging her push until she runs into the female Kevin Nash to end it.  Who will be her Regal or later on DDP?

I made a Cody’s on fire joke over on PWO.  It works on so many levels!  Okay, maybe just two.  It works on two whole levels.  I am having, how you say “joker’s remorse” on that one.

• Like 4

Just now, Jamal said:

Ruby/Kris was really good and the best that Soho has looked since coming to AEW. The TBS tournament has really been good stuff. I've enjoyed all of the matches and can't wait for the outcome. 

I'm trying to figure out if it was better than Jamie Hayter/Thunder Rosa.  I'm looking forward to Soho/Thunder Rosa, as I figure that will be the best match.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

What you like and what works are different things in this scenario.  

I'm not gonna beat this horse any deader but the original point was that Lio Rush = Shane Douglas in the sense that his character work is better as a heel but his in-ring work is better as a babyface. I understand the debate with the Bucks - their tandem offense is so over-the-top that it can read as cocky, and it's so kayfabe illegal that it's easy to boo, but I think the sheer finesse of it all makes it too easy to cheer + Matt Jackson actually selling his back / Nick Jackson actually being a proper hot tag lets both guys play to their strengths better than the preen routine. Kenny, I don't see the argument. He is not a man of control segment heatseeking, violence and shit-talking, he's the peak specimen of spectacle and modern moveset melodrama and sells desperation better than anything else. Every great Kenny match ends with him getting a face reaction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

So Cody went through the flaming table, Andrade didn't, but Cody pinned Andrade. That sucked.

That was the consensus in My section. We were piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

My one complaint is that I wish they’d stick him in a long term feud, besides these multi week feuds. Kingston stuff is great, now he’s moved to a program with Jericho, 2.0 and Daniel Garcia. While that’s great, I rather have Kingston and Punk still going at it. But I guess they can revisit it down the road, but I don’t see it happening.

This is the AEW way. They don't do a whole lotta immediate rematches outside the Codyverse but they absolutely will revisit matches down the line with the first match being a focal point. 

I want Kingston vs. Punk II badly but it'll be sweeter should it, for example, be for the AEW world title. This is like AJPW or golden age NJPW where they spread the matches out over years rather than months and it allows for huge character growth and arcs. 

I don't think they're going to pull the trigger on Danielson but if they want to do something like Wrigley, the biggest match they have right now is champ dickhead Danielson vs. Hometown hero Punk. Hangman finally doing the thing and immediately losing the title would make for an interesting turn of events too. Don't think they should or will do it but it's not like it's beyond reason or terrible should they do it. 

It's a shame one of the worst tropes in wrestling(the 2-count SHOCKED FACE~!) has made it's way to AEW. That's some of the shit you 100% leave behind in WWE, next to Dunn's camera cuts, etc. Ruby Soho looked like Fred Sanford having a combination BIG ONE I'M COMING ELIZABETH/seizure, and not only did it look completely stupid, it totally took me out of the match at that point. Hopefully that stuff doesn't start to become a regular habit in AEW.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Peck said:

It's a shame one of the worst tropes in wrestling(the 2-count SHOCKED FACE~!) has made it's way to AEW. That's some of the shit you 100% leave behind in WWE, next to Dunn's camera cuts, etc. Ruby Soho looked like Fred Sanford having a combination BIG ONE I'M COMING ELIZABETH/seizure, and not only did it look completely stupid, it totally took me out of the match at that point. Hopefully that stuff doesn't start to become a regular habit in AEW.

Tay Conti did it after every near fall in her title match with Britt. Completely the same feeling. Killed all connection I had to the match. It's in AEW beyond just those two sadly.

• Like 1