DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 12/1/21

Just Dave

Wild main event, that was a super memorable ending even if it wasn't perfectly executed. Awesome 'holy shit' moment as Cody's literally ON FIRE making the pin. I loved it.

Ruby/Kris ruled. Thought Ruby looked excellent and I wanna see her win the whole thing. 

Gunn Club/StingDarby fun as expected. Darby's head spike dive was scary looking. 

Still surprised they really turned Dante. Lio is coming off well in all of this though. Also still shocked at how easily Bryan has turned in to super mega heel so quickly. 

Thought Punk/Moriarty was really good stuff. Adam Cole doing his entire entrance just to do his poses was hilarious.  Great show as usual! 

• Like 8

Angle heavy and they kind of overdid the "wrestler coming to announcer table but getting involved" bit. And the flaming table bump was only cool because Cody was on fire for the pin and Andrade had to adjust his arm to put out the fire that was about to burn his hair/face. That spot took forever to set up, and in general I wanted a much more wild, plunder filled brawl. It's a damned Atlanta Street Fight and Cody isn't even wearing street clothes. Dusty does not approve.

The Danielson-Angels match was good, thought it was going to be a squash but Bryan ending up taking some good offense.

The Punk-Moriarty match was excellent, in this case I loved how evenly matched it came off, and they did a great job of making the upset seem like it was going to happen (and there were dudes marking out like crazy in the background). The post-match was as bad as last week's opening was great, MJF is in grave danger of running "PG Punk" into the ground, the whole Britt Baker stuff was lame, and it just killed the buzz from that great match.

I actually liked a Billy Gunn match. There, I said it. He sold, ate a tope from Darby, and lost. Darby's tope on Austin (I guess, the one who wasn't wrestling) was brutal and obviously Darby busted his head open from it. I got slightly emotional when Sting first entered the ring. The finishing sequence was really fun. Now, no more Billy Gunn on my TV please.

Women's match was match of the night for me, even with the great Punk-Moriarty match. Lots of fun stuff in the opening sequences, ending with The Boop. They worked really well together, both with the chain wrestling and the bigger moves. That Poison Rana was dope and unexpected (for me), and the follow-up kneeling rana was a good follow-up that looked killer, even if it was kicked out of (and Ruby maybe oversold that a bit).

A mixed bag for me, with some very high highs and some pretty low lows. I think I got spoiled with that run after Punk and Danielson showed up.

• Like 3

Jose is JAKKED.

So the Cody thing....I was initially thinking it was a bad sunburn that was peeling, but considering the final spot....I know sometimes wrestlers will do a practice run of certain spots before the actual thing? Could that peel have been caused by them trying that spot earlier? I know some had mentioned anti-fire spray, but I don't know how that stuff works.

Just now, The Green Meanie said:

Jose is JAKKED.

So the Cody thing....I was initially thinking it was a bad sunburn that was peeling, but considering the final spot....I know sometimes wrestlers will do a practice run of certain spots before the actual thing? Could that peel have been caused by them trying that spot earlier? I know some had mentioned anti-fire spray, but I don't know how that stuff works.

What was even he point of that spot? Cody looks like he took the worst of it and he was the one set on fire? If you actually have a flaming table, you are trying to burn and set your opponent on fire and incapacitate them WITH FIRE and burn them horribly. Instead he puts his own back through the table. Cody is a fucking idiot.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Also I'm going for the inevitable "Cody Rhodes = Heat Magnet" bullshit now before anybody pops a capillary trying to think of a good way to make the joke. Brandi sure is looking LIGHTER after her pregnancy. I've heard of FUEGO DOS but this is ridiculous. Hasn't Andrade been FIRED enough this year? Didn't think I'd see EMBER so soon. And so on.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

Cody saying one thing and doing another is funny and fits the delusional thing he is running with or that's just him (likely). He won't turn heel because he's a role model to the children but he'll have his wife run in and light a table on fire and he'll put an opponent through it. Okay. 

This episode was largely a big miss for me. Andrade looked great at least. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

What was even he point of that spot? Cody looks like he took the worst of it and he was the one set on fire? If you actually have a flaming table, you are trying to burn and set your opponent on fire and incapacitate them WITH FIRE and burn them horribly. Instead he puts his own back through the table. Cody is a fucking idiot.

Agreed. I *think* I see where they were going with this, but the execution was quite a bit off. Andrade was wiggling too much to get a legit pin. Also, why did Brandi have to be in disguise? It was a street fight match, kayfabe wise there's no reason for her to be dressed like she was.

• Like 2

Lots of bad mic work tonight. Lio Rush looked absolutely stranded; Hangman was a terrible hollow cliche on commentary. The most deliciously ironic thing about Cody is that he really had absolutely no idea he was doing strong heel work before. It really was not at all intentional. And now the crowd have somewhat forced him to pay attention he is hammying it up with golden shovels and shit with Brandi involved too. Those two are, as has been said, so hilariously lacking awareness the both of them. 

• Like 3

Am I the only one who is getting tired of Punk and Danielson eating an hour of tv time a week working guys super low on the pecking order? It was fun for a while but I'm over it. Silver should make for a good match but I'm hoping we don't get Danielson getting reps in every week like this after the title match. Same with Punk. 

Edit: yeah, the Lio thing was odd because he was a pretty money heel promo in WWE from the little I saw. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Also I'm going for the inevitable "Cody Rhodes = Heat Magnet" bullshit now before anybody pops a capillary trying to think of a good way to make the joke. Brandi sure is looking LIGHTER after her pregnancy. I've heard of FUEGO DOS but this is ridiculous. Hasn't Andrade been FIRED enough this year? Didn't think I'd see EMBER so soon. And so on.

Cody hearing the boos:

05onfire1_xp-superJumbo-v2.jpg

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Am I the only one who is getting tired of Punk and Danielson eating an hour of tv time a week working guys super low on the pecking order? It was fun for a while but I'm over it. Silver should make for a good match but I'm hoping we don't get Danielson getting reps in every week like this after the title match. Same with Punk. 

Edit: yeah, the Lio thing was odd because he was a pretty money heel promo in WWE from the little I saw. 

Lio has a few characteristics of a guy who can talk but can't ad-lib. Compare that to somebody like Danielson, who doesn't really have an attention-grabbing speaking voice, but can be given a microphone and put over a storyline no prob. Lio probably does better work with a script. There's this big old narrative about how scripted wrestling promos are evil but it's really a person-to-person thing as to who benefits from what approach.

Edited by John E. Dynamite