DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 13

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Figured I would post this here since most likely the folks most interested in it are here

Silverback: The Trent Williams Story

FYI in watching the trailer - there are some photos from his surgery on his brain

OK, where can I see this?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Never did learn what the reason was.

The reason is that the punter and kicker can stay together the entire practice and maximize their time together (including long snapper)

The backup QB needed to be in two places at once

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I feel like it was Tony Romo. 

Yep.  His fumble convinced the NFL to switch.  As if nobody else ever fumbled snaps or anything else.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

The reason is that the punter and kicker can stay together the entire practice and maximize their time together (including long snapper)

The backup QB needed to be in two places at once

Having the punter do it makes sense - having the punter be the only one who *EVER* practices it does not.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I feel like it was Tony Romo. 

Romo was already a throwback/anomaly for being a backup QB holder by 06 (never mind remaining holder after becoming starting QB)

17 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Having the punter do it makes sense - having the punter be the only one who *EVER* practices it does not.

That's the thing with kickers and punters, if someone is spending time practicing with them they aren't practicing doing what they're actually there to do. We used to have one running back and one wide receiver catch punts everyday at practice. It was an easy practice day,  but you always felt like someone was taking your spot when you were over there with the kickers.

Also, catching punts is my vote for worst football activity. I hated it at practice,  because a booming punt feels like getting punched in the chest. And you spend about an hour standing there taking punches to the chest. With that said,  I wasn't the punt returner, except one game our punt returner got hurt and guess who they sent out there in the game? I caught plenty of punts, but I never had to practice with the punt return team. I was the personal protector on the punt team,  so when we were practicing punt stuff s a team I was always on the other side. So I'm standing there and the punter kicks the ball about 4664 feet into the sky,  and I realize that I have no idea way to judge where any of the 11 people coming to kill me are. Thankfully it was a windy night and the ball was blown out of bounds,  but that's probably the most scared I've ever been. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

That's the thing with kickers and punters, if someone is spending time practicing with them they aren't practicing doing what they're actually there to do.

Yep but you gotta do what you gotta do.  

• Like 1

Let's try putting this in the right thread:

Kids from my hometown of Pontiac, MI added a wrong number to their group chat.  Ended up being Sean Murphy-Bunting who then roped Leonard Fournette, Gronk, and Tom Brady into a Facetime with the kids:

https://www.fox2detroit.com/sports/wrong-number-in-high-school-teams-group-chat-leads-to-facetime-call-with-tampa-bay-bucs

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Relevant to the board, Drew Magary went on a delightful Bill Barnwell tangent in his latest column at Defector:

Spoiler

I’m pretty certain that ESPN’s Bill Barnwell hates my guts because I once said he looked like the Zodiac Killer. This is untrue: he actually looks like character actor John Carroll Lynch, who plays Arthur Leigh Allen in Zodiac, who’s pegged as the killer in that movie even though that may not be true at all. BUT THAT’S NOT WHY I’M APOLOGIZING. I used to make fun of Barnwell often because he was a member of the Bill Simmons Extended Universe, and I reflexively despised anyone in that universe for a good long time. Some of that hate was founded—I never thought Grantland was a good website—but most of it was typically petty horseshit on my part. I have since come to the realization that Barnwell, who stayed with ESPN after Simmons got curbed, has become one of the most dependable sources of NFL information around:

I’ll still chafe whenever Barnwell predicts bad things for the Vikings, but A) Many other NFL experts do this and B) They are almost always correct to do so. So, to that end, I am sorry to you, Barnwell. You are not a serial murderer, and you give good copy to the world. You are the good Bill.

• Like 1

I'm glad we collectively as a forum decided to ignore that game was happening in real time. Not sure if Hill is the long term answer, what's funny is they looked really good the drive they were using him as a runner but in the 4th they decided to make him a passer and he throws three INTs. If he is going to make it, they have to use him as more of a hybrid threat. I will however give him a bit of a pass due to his finger.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And the fact that, despite 4 INTs, he got you 24 fantasy points

That's only because the Dallas defense was in 'don't give a fuck' mode and allowed that 70 yard TD. Up to that point I think I was -6 in the fourth quarter alone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm glad we collectively as a forum decided to ignore that game was happening in real time. Not sure if Hill is the long term answer, what's funny is they looked really good the drive they were using him as a runner but in the 4th they decided to make him a passer and he throws three INTs. If he is going to make it, they have to use him as more of a hybrid threat. I will however give him a bit of a pass due to his finger.

He didn't exactly look great before he hurt his finger but it's definitely tough to judge.  He was very obviously unable to throw properly because of the finger so Sean "I must be a genius" Payton had him throw the ball a million times instead of continuing to do what was actually being successful.

• Like 1

If Carson Wentz plays all the snaps today - he will pass the 75% for the season and thus the Eagles will officially get the Colts 1st round pick next year.

(the other option is 70% and the Colts make the playoffs)

Basically, the Eagles will officially have that #1 pick

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If Carson Wentz plays all the snaps today - he will pass the 75% for the season and thus the Eagles will officially get the Colts 1st round pick next year.

(the other option is 70% and the Colts make the playoffs)

Basically, the Eagles will officially have that #1 pick

in other words, my fingers are crossed they conspicuously bench him at 74% in a style reminiscient of what my current avatar once went through.