DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 13

Dolfan in NYC

The Dolphins snuck into the "in the Hunt graphic," and could potentially be a big narrative in 2-3 weeks when people possibly go "wait, the Dolphins are 7-7?"

It makes the Jacksonville and Atlanta losses just more brutal at this point. 

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Dolphins snuck into the "in the Hunt graphic," and could potentially be a big narrative in 2-3 weeks when people possibly go "wait, the Dolphins are 7-7?"

It makes the Jacksonville and Atlanta losses just more brutal at this point. 

It's crazy because,  when the Dolphins defense is playing well they look fucking incredible. They're a better team than they seemed earlier in the season,  but their offense is still kind of a dumpster fire. They're playing better, but I don't trust it as long a they have that o-line.

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

It's crazy because,  when the Dolphins defense is playing well they look fucking incredible. They're a better team than they seemed earlier in the season,  but their offense is still kind of a dumpster fire. They're playing better, but I don't trust it as long a they have that o-line.

Austin Jackson specifically is a huge liability. I think they've benefited from the fact that 3 of these 4 wins have been against some of the worst in the NFL, and the next two games are the New York, New York special with both at home. Yet, turning 1-7 into potentially 9-8 is quite the turn around. I just hope this is leading to meaningful January football in a year or two, and not the up and down football we've gotten. What Flo did in year 1 was increadible. Even last year was quite something, but this year had some expectations, and it has definitely fallen short. 

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

There aren't 32 competent full time place kickers,  and you expect a pointer to lessen how to do it part time? 

Nonsense.  The vast majority of punters/kickers handle both jobs in high school.  And they should all still practice both jobs.  It's not like punters and kickers don't have plenty of time to practice each other's jobs during the week.  No, I don't expect a punter to fill in for more than "the rest of the game" but there's no reason a punter can't make a 35yd FG or a kicker can't hit a 35yd punt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nofuture said:

I think the problem is that most punters are the holder for field goals which isn't exactly the easiest job either.

That's why your 2nd string QB practices holding.

• Like 1

I still don't get the criticism Booger got/gets. The year he was in the mechanical cart thing and couldn't get a rhythm with the team was bad, but I thought he was one of the three or four best color guys doing NFL games once they moved him into the booth.

Above from BNich.

Booger was a chucklehead in the booth.  His insight was not great and his style was extremely grating (to me).  It doesn't help that he was in a terrible group that had no chemistry and were clearly not comfortable with each other so they constantly called each other by their nicknames to let each other know when to talk.  

31 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Nonsense.  The vast majority of punters/kickers handle both jobs in high school.  And they should all still practice both jobs.  It's not like punters and kickers don't have plenty of time to practice each other's jobs during the week.  No, I don't expect a punter to fill in for more than "the rest of the game" but there's no reason a punter can't make a 35yd FG or a kicker can't hit a 35yd punt.

A 35 yard field goal?!?! There is no reason to believe anyone who is not a full time kicker can be relied on to kick a 35yd FG with any accuracy. This is my point about kicking being a disrespected skill. 35 yards is a long ass distance to kick a football before you ask to do it accurately. When the extra point was from the 2 yard line kickers made 99%, when they moved to the 15 it's down to about 92%, because a 25 yard kick is significantly harder to make. You go back another 10 yards and full-time professionals go down to about 85-90%. By the time they get to 40-49% its about 75%. Those are incredibly specialized athletes who have dedicated their lives to one skill. If we go to college kickers,  who are the only other group of kickers we can judge, 35-40 yard field goals are made at 71.1%. What percentage do you think a punter, who probably hasn't kicked since high school can make? I played through both middle school and high school in two different states and never played on a team where the kicker and punter were the same person. It's not the same skill. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kickers-are-forever/

https://watchstadium.com/collegekickers-when-they-make-miss-field-goals-by-distance-situation-and-more-06-11-2019/

19 minutes ago, supremebve said:

A 35 yard field goal?!?! There is no reason to believe anyone who is not a full time kicker can be relied on to kick a 35yd FG with any accuracy.

I've coached football.  Yes, punters should be able to make a 35yd field goal.  I'm not saying 90% or anything but definitely more than half.  Again, these guys pretty much all do double duty in high school.  I've been around a lot of high school teams and never seen one that DIDN'T use the same guy for both.

Again, we're talking about asking a guy to make a kick or two in an emergency situation, not be a full-time replacement. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I've coached football.  Yes, punters should be able to make a 35yd field goal.  I'm not saying 90% or anything but definitely more than half.  Again, these guys pretty much all do double duty in high school.  I've been around a lot of high school teams and never seen one that DIDN'T use the same guy for both.

I know you're in Michigan, did the schools have a soccer team? When I was in Ohio,  we did not,  and pretty much everyone had to try to kick and punt one practice until we found someone who could do it. Our kicker was at best 25% accurate and was the best by far. Our punter who was our best player on offense,  but could punt the ball about 60 yards. He was a really big,  strong,  fast running back,  especially for middle school,  but punting was absolutely what he was best at.  Our coach saw him punt and stopped the competition, I don't think anyone else could have come within 20 yards. He couldn't kick off a tee or with a hold to save his life though.  When I moved to Virginia, we had a soccer team and had a really good kicker and a really good punter who did nothing else. We probably had multiple other players who played both football and soccer that we could have used in a pinch,  but they weren't beating out either of the starters. 

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

I know you're in Michigan, did the schools have a soccer team? 

I live in Washington but have seen plenty of high school football in Michigan, Colorado (where I coached), and Washington.  They had soccer at at least one of the high schools in Michigan and one in Washington.  I can't remember if we had soccer at the school where I coached.  

Not exactly related but one of the kids I saw here in Washington was Austin Rehkow.  He's best known for kicking a 67yd - yes, you read that right - field goal in a game where Brett Rypien threw for 577 yards against Austin's team.  I saw Rehkow play once and he was an outstanding kicker but he was A LOT better as a punter.  He bombed one that went out of the back of the end zone on the fly when his team had the ball on their own 40.  One of the best punts I've ever seen at any level.  Just an unreal bomb.

• Like 1

I'm from small town Michigan, and our kicker and punter was always the same person but we also went for two every single time and I'm not sure we attempted a field goal either year I was on varsity.

Kenny Vaccaro has retired from the NFL as he is becoming an e-sports competitor... no really.

He will be competing in the upcoming Halo World Championship.

Vaccaro claimed that he had multiple offers to join NFL teams this season including playoff contenders.

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Kenny Vaccaro has retired from the NFL as he is becoming an e-sports competitor... no really.

He will be competing in the upcoming Halo World Championship.

Vaccaro claimed that he had multiple offers to join NFL teams this season including playoff contenders.

Seriously,  he made $28 million in the NFL,  playing video games for the rest of his working life seems like one hell of a good deal. I'd quit my job right now if I could get paid to pay video games all day.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Trading in the risk of concussions or blown out knees in favor of carpal tunnel feels like a strong move, especially if he makes a decent paycheck

Seriously, if I had to take a 10% pay cut,  I'd do it. If have to probably pick up something part time,  but I wouldn't even put in my 2 weeks. I'd get up right now and these people would never hear from me again. He already made millions,  as long a he's been reasonably responsible with it,  it's a great career move. 

Edited by supremebve
My phone types whatever it wants.
  • Like 2

Figured I would post this here since most likely the folks most interested in it are here

Silverback: The Trent Williams Story

FYI in watching the trailer - there are some photos from his surgery on his brain

On 11/30/2021 at 10:18 AM, nofuture said:

I think the problem is that most punters are the holder for field goals which isn't exactly the easiest job either.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:20 AM, Tabe said:

That's why your 2nd string QB practices holding.

for many years convention dictated that the backup QB was the holder (unless you were the Cowboys and used your starting TE to show how special and different you were)

then, sometime in the 90s, it switched. Punters as the holder became "the way to do it" in the copycat league.

Never did learn what the reason was.

But yeah, maybe it's time for an aspiring punter or two to figure out he can make some serious bank by being able to do both and start the copycat league back towards backup QBs as holders

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyWhioux said:

for many years convention dictated that the backup QB was the holder

then, sometime in the 90s, it switched. Punters as the holder became "the way to do it" in the copycat league.

Never did learn what the reason was.

But yeah, maybe it's time for an aspiring punter or two to figure out he can make some serious bank by being able to do both and start the copycat league back towards backup QBs as holders

I feel like it was Tony Romo.