DVDVR Message Board

NXT WarGames V - 12/5/2021

Dolfan in NYC

as I posted in the Discord --

these dumb motherfuckers are having Kai as the overmatched heel in the early stages of a War Game FOR A SECOND TIME

With that said, almost everything else delivered. Very odd booking to have Mandy do so little and KLR do so much with so little grounding with the domestic audience. Some awful camerawork in the first match. Dolin worked like someone trying to make a big splash -- some great headscissors and she really threw herself into her strikes.

Whoever did it -- I think Jayne -- mocking Shirai's rope-running was also a nice touch.

The end of the women's WG match came off as really abrupt. I was kind of expecting Cora to get released along with Blake Christian, but I guess they have more plans for her. Of all the relatively fresh faces in the match, Gigi came off as the most impressive. The spot with Raquel stuffing Dakota in a trash can and chucking her around was a nice bit.

The three intermittent matches were fine but not outstanding. Part of me wants Grimes to get called up (I really want to see him and Cesaro have a match) but the other part of me thinks he'd get stuck with some comedy hillbilly gimmick.

I liked the men's match well enough. There weren't any moments that really stood out, but nothing really dumb either. I was kind of expecting Knight to turn or there to be some other type of big angle or post-match fuckery but I guess that's for Tuesday. Once again Bron looked like a boss and the sooner he's shot into the main event picture on any brand the better.

Bron Breakker is the worst name they've ever had. I don't care that he came up with it himself. I hope he can get it changed before being called up because he could be a star with the right push and marketing.

How many times have we said that about NXT call ups though?

Edited by L_W_P

12 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

The end of the women's WG match came off as really abrupt. I was kind of expecting Cora to get released along with Blake Christian, but I guess they have more plans for her. Of all the relatively fresh faces in the match, Gigi came off as the most impressive. The spot with Raquel stuffing Dakota in a trash can and chucking her around was a nice bit.

The three intermittent matches were fine but not outstanding. Part of me wants Grimes to get called up (I really want to see him and Cesaro have a match) but the other part of me thinks [b]he'd get stuck with some comedy hillbilly gimmick.[/b]

I liked the men's match well enough. There weren't any moments that really stood out, but nothing really dumb either. I was kind of expecting Knight to turn or there to be some other type of big angle or post-match fuckery but I guess that's for Tuesday. Once again Bron looked like a boss and the sooner he's shot into the main event picture on any brand the better.

Pretty sure that is already his gimmick. 

I enjoyed what I saw, but I don't think anything I saw necessarily makes me want to watch anything else going forward.  Seems like a lot of the new guys seem miscast or awfully generic.  I enjoyed the Women's Wargames, but none of the new people stood out very much.  And someone brought a bat that was never used, and there was a gym bag that was never used.  Not really sure of the point.  And I hope that Cora Jade was really injured because besides sympathy for her botched under-rotated and short swanton, there wasn't anything there there. 

Loved the tag match, and Von Wagner is Wayne the Train Bloom's kid right?  He and Kyle did one of the old Minnesota Wrecking Crew tag moves and I thought that was kinda cool.  He really has an Unfrozen Caveman look, too.  He was non-offensive, but Aichner and Bartel are outstanding.  Aichner is high-flying Cesaro.  Bartel makes me hate him just standing there.  They're fantastic.  KOR really looks like he let himself go.  Maybe he needs some fresh motivation?

I thought both Grimes / Hudson and Strong / Gacy were both forgettable and did nothing for the new guys, other than white supremacist Brock Lesnar on the outside for Gacy.  Definitely probably would've preferred Roddy wrestle him. 

Men's Wargames was great action.  I'm not as high on Bron Breakker as some are, and I think it's largely about the stupid stupid name.  It's insulting not to call him Steiner.  He's earned it.  The other guys, I don't know.  Waller has some absurd gear and is apparently super light on his feet and a major high flyer?  Real disconnect there.  Carmelo seems fine, but nothing terribly interesting.  And I totally forgot that Tony D'Angelo was in the match.  Old guard looked like a million bucks.  Which I don't think was the point. 

Glad I watched, it's the end of an era.  Don't think I'll watch much more. 

Okay while I admit that Jiro hasn't done much to impress, I don't think the gimmick of taking huge shits during a Takeover isn't going to get him over.   Hopefully Kushida heard about this and immediately started figuring out how to be deported to Japan

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Okay while I admit that Jiro hasn't done much to impress, I don't think the gimmick of taking huge shits during a Takeover isn't going to get him over.   Hopefully Kushida heard about this and immediately started figuring out how to be deported to Japan

On the flip side you know Vince saw that bit and was like "HUH HUH GAD DAMN THIS KID HAS A FUTURE"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Okay while I admit that Jiro hasn't done much to impress, I don't think the gimmick of taking huge shits during a Takeover isn't going to get him over. 

I dunno. Vince has been shitting in our eyes, ears and mouth for years and he's still pretty over I guess

Edit: Let's face it, that bit had 'let's pop the boss with some some dumbass shit' written all over it.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

9 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Men's Wargames was great action.  I'm not as high on Bron Breakker as some are, and I think it's largely about the stupid stupid name.  It's insulting not to call him Steiner.  He's earned it.  The other guys, I don't know.  Waller has some absurd gear and is apparently super light on his feet and a major high flyer?  Real disconnect there.  Carmelo seems fine, but nothing terribly interesting.  And I totally forgot that Tony D'Angelo was in the match.  Old guard looked like a million bucks.  Which I don't think was the point. 

It doesn't help that he chose that name - https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/12/bron-breakker-reveals-who-came-up-with-his-name/

I think it's the one thing holding him back. I rank it #1 in my "Dumbest sounding Wrestling Names" having surpassed Justin Credible and Lucky Cannon.

There's no way on Earth "Bron Breaker" makes it to the main roster, and I don't think ANY NXT moniker does anymore, at this point. NXT is now high-budget OVW, and it's not like Batista showed up as fucking Leviathan.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:25 PM, Dog said:

There's no way on Earth "Bron Breaker" makes it to the main roster, and I don't think ANY NXT moniker does anymore, at this point. NXT is now high-budget OVW, and it's not like Batista showed up as fucking Leviathan.

I will take this bet. OVW wasn't on national tv, and Vince and the yes-men hadn't been huffing their own farts for 2 decades in a competition-free environment. Bron Breakker will be trading wins with someone like Rollins if he's lucky, or Ziggler if he's not in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

Well, add in that "Bron" came up with the name himself. Vince doesn't let stuff someone else came up with on his big shows anymore.

The person will do fine, the goof-ass name will never be heard again. 

7 hours ago, Robert s said:

WWE is becoming more and more like WCW nowadays. Here Marcel Barthel from last Sunday:

Marcel Barthel : r/WrestleWithThePackage

And here the German flag:

Flag of Germany.svg

Notice a difference?

Look there's a lot of bullshit that WWE has pulled over the last... decade or more.  But having a flag upside on one guy's gear (that he probably had made himself)...  come the fuck on man.  

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Look there's a lot of bullshit that WWE has pulled over the last... decade or more.  But having a flag upside on one guy's gear (that he probably had made himself)...  come the fuck on man.  

The flag is not upside down, the order of the colours is completely wrong. If it would just be upside-down, the yellow (gold) should not be next to the black. Here a picture where you can see clearly that the order on the trunks is (top to bottom) black - yellow (gold) - red. This is the Belgian flag (rotated by 90°).

Untitled

This would be like if Miro would have the Mexican flag (minus the coat of arms) on his trunks.

• Haha 1

Am I looking at the gear wrong? It appears to just be multiple stripes to me, not a flag at all. Unless my vision is failing it goes black, black, black, yellow, black. red. (With a partial black stripe under the red that is visible on the reverse side of the trunks). Could just be using those colors involved in the flag and not attempting to make a flag at all. But who knows for sure.

Guys design their own gear. Especially guys that low down the totem pole. So that's not a thing to blame WWE for. WWE has their own seamstresses but they get the design specifications from the wrestlers themselves. You think Vince would know half the shit New Day get put on their gear lol. Now I'm just picturing a coked up Vince sewing his own shit for guys to wear. "God damn you Otis you'll wear this green singlet with titty tassels and you'll like it!"

• Haha 1

Aichner had matching gear that had the Tricolore on it (with stylized blanks between the bars and on Barthel trunks) - in correct order (sort of, one order was correct, the other one was mirrored - I assume to have a symmetric pattern). If you look at the second picture I posted, you can see a black bar (below the waistband), some space, a yellow bar, some more space and then a red bar. Even if the design comes from Imperium themselves, I am sure that Barthel knows how the German flag is supposed to look like, so the tailor screwed up and no one cared (enough). To me this is on the same level as having graphics like "Stiener Brothers".