DVDVR Message Board

2021 NCAAF: Championship Week

Robert C

19 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'd have to dig it out of my phone, but there's a funny tweet from last night that's captioned "the first time Brian Kelly tries momma's gumbo."

Also, there's a not great story about Kelly when he had Matt LaFleur and Robert Saleh as GAs at CMU.

There's a worse story about Brian Kelly and Declan Sullivan.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2

I'm surely shocking news, Malachi Nelson, after decommitting to Oklahoma, he has suddenly decided he wants to stay closer to home in California and play for the Trojans.

Ranked the #2 qb in the class of 2023 (behind Arch Manning)

• Haha 2

1. Georgia
  2. Michigan
  3. Alabama
  4. Cincinnati

--

Next 3
Oklahoma State
Notre Dame

Ohio State ?

When Michigan loses to Iowa next week, I'm going to laugh and laugh when ND leapfrogs Cincy and MichiBama only drop one slot each. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

They can't pay the players but can buy Lincoln Riley's 2 homes for $1 million over market value and buy him an additional $6 million home. That is about as blatant as hypocrisy gets. 

I feel like it’s worth keeping in mind that that story is likely bullshit. It was not reported by an actual journalist, rather some rando oil tycoon who claims to be tight with an Oklahoma insider. No actual journalist has corroborated it either. Highly likely that this guy is:

A. Repeating some paranoid fantasy from a butthurt booster.

B. Aiding an intentional smear campaign against Riley/USC to make them look like everything wrong with CFB.

C. Just straight up making shit up to get his name/business out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:
  1. Georgia
  2. Michigan
  3. Alabama
  4. Cincinnati

Cincinnati got hosed here.  And Alabama shouldn't be in the top 4 at all.  They've beaten no one and just score 3 points in 59 minutes against a 3-touchdown underdog.  Barf.

The only good thing about these rankings is that, if Michigan holds its spot after (hopefully) beating Iowa, they don't play Georgia in the first round of the CFP.

• Like 1

If Michigan wins, I can't really see them finishing anywhere but #2.

Georgia will obviously be #1 if they win, and if Alabama wins, they'll be number 1 and Georgia will be three or four I would guess.

They are definitely setting up Cincinnati, I am sure they are looking for any excuse to bump them. I am not claiming that Cincinnati could beat Georgia or Michigan but they've earned the right to try, this is one of the reasons I am in favor of expanding the playoffs. As long as its only four teams they are going to try their damndest to only have teams in major conferences/lots of money in it.

• Like 1

I will continue to pound the table for my preferred playoff plans.

12 teams. All ten conference champions plus two at large bids. Top four seeds get byes to the second round. First two rounds played on campus at the higher seeds. Semi and championship as is. Choose and seed by the old BCS formula or similar.

Or, the same basic thing but 16 teams, 6 at large bids, no byes.

Edit: Or 14, with 4 at large and top two get byes.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tabe said:

Cincinnati got hosed here.  And Alabama shouldn't be in the top 4 at all.  They've beaten no one and just score 3 points in 59 minutes against a 3-touchdown underdog.  Barf.

Lol what are you on about?

If Alabama’s 3 wins against teams ranked in the current CFP Top 25 qualifies as “nobody,” I would hate to know what that says about Michigan and Cincinnati (who have 1 a piece), Notre Dame (who has cero), or Oklahoma State (2). It’s the same number that Georgia has, and Bama’s biggest (Ole Miss at #8) is way higher than Georgia’s (Clemson at #20).

Look, I get that Bama Fatigue is real, and I’ve been upfront here all season about how this is not one of the better Bama teams in recent memory, but to act like there is this tremendous discrepancy in Bama’s resume compared to the other contenders is completely out of line with reality.

As far as the Iron Bowl game went…No, it wasn’t pretty, but you can look at a lot of past national championship teams and isolate ugly data points like that. 2016 Clemson, in particular, had a whole season of bad data points. Went to OT with a 6-6 NC State team. Beat Troy by only 6 at home. (Also lost in OT while giving up 40+ to an okay Pitt team, it must be said). Still won it all in the end. A defining feature of championship teams is being able to win games in which you play badly.

Alabama is kinda a moot point as if they can't beat Georgia its going to be hard for them to get in anyway. I'd be curious if its a close game if the committee would let ND pass them since they don't have a game as they weigh conference games highly. I always root for chaos in these situations since I have no horse in the race so I hope its entertaining.

Also I think Alabama only has two Top 25 wins unless my brain is missing one and only one Top 20 win, but no team outside of GA has really a flawless and pretty impressive at the same time resume.

Just now, supremebve said:

My dream scenario,  Cincinnati loses to Houston, Michigan loses to Iowa,  Georgia beats Alabama,  and Ohio State and Alabama get in like God intended. 

I wasn't expecting you to reveal you were Mark Emmert today, but...  here we are I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I wasn't expecting you to reveal you were Mark Emmert today, but...  here we are I guess. 

Lol,  I'm trolling, but I think it's pretty clear that Georgia is the best team this year. 

HUGE GAP

Alabama and Ohio State are 2 and 3(neither are great, but at their best they're better than everyone else). Oklahoma State is probably 4, and the next 4 or 5 are about the same. 

Cincinnati deserves to get in,  but what did their players do to you guys that makes you actually want to see them disembowled by Georgia? 

Notre Dame is fine,  but in what reality are they better than Ohio State or Alabama? 

Michigan beat Ohio State fair and square,  but no one thinks they have a chance to win it all. In any given Saturday anything can happen,  and it did when Michigan beat Ohio State, that was their playoff. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Michigan beat Ohio State fair and square,  but no one thinks they have a chance to win it all. In any given Saturday anything can happen,  and it did when Michigan beat Ohio State, that was their National Championship.

FTFY 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EVA said:

Lol what are you on about?

If Alabama’s 3 wins against teams ranked in the current CFP Top 25 qualifies as “nobody,” I would hate to know what that says about Michigan and Cincinnati (who have 1 a piece), Notre Dame (who has cero), or Oklahoma State (2). It’s the same number that Georgia has, and Bama’s biggest (Ole Miss at #8) is way higher than Georgia’s (Clemson at #20).

Look, I get that Bama Fatigue is real, and I’ve been upfront here all season about how this is not one of the better Bama teams in recent memory, but to act like there is this tremendous discrepancy in Bama’s resume compared to the other contenders is completely out of line with reality.

As far as the Iron Bowl game went…No, it wasn’t pretty, but you can look at a lot of past national championship teams and isolate ugly data points like that. 2016 Clemson, in particular, had a whole season of bad data points. Went to OT with a 6-6 NC State team. Beat Troy by only 6 at home. (Also lost in OT while giving up 40+ to an okay Pitt team, it must be said). Still won it all in the end. A defining feature of championship teams is being able to win games in which you play badly.

Yeah, just ignore me.  I have no idea what the heck I was talking about.