DVDVR Message Board

2021 NCAAF: Championship Week

Robert C

I get the allure of Miami for Kiffin (and there's multiple sources that say if it's open, he's there), but it's a bizarre fit because Miami is just unwilling to put the kind of money into improving the football program that other schools are willing to do.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Coaches leaving before a big bowl game with a team they recruited and coached to get there blows my mind a bit. I can't imagine doing that. I understand the "why" (to get a head start on recruiting) but still. If the stars align and both ND and Cincy make the playoffs and both don't have their coaches its going to be wild.

The other side of the equation is that schools often don't want lame duck coaches hanging around to coach the bowl game.  ADs and school presidents often feel betrayed (understandably) and the school may not want the media attention.  If Notre Dame makes the BCS playoff - or hires away Fickell  and Cinncinnati makes the BCS - that is going to be the story.  I mean, it's going to be anyway, but at least if you tell Kelly to go on his way, the talking point is a little less prevalent and the school can put a little better spin on it.

As much as Notre Dame probably wants Fickell, I don't believe they're going to wait past this weekend on him.  ND is probably looking at the exodus out of Oklahoma and realizing the nightmare scenario is rolling into the December early signing period without a head coach or - worse - making their way into the bcs and having the announcers point out they haven't hired a new head coach once every quarter.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

20 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I get the allure of Miami for Kiffin (and there's multiple sources that say if it's open, he's there), but it's a bizarre fit because Miami is just unwilling to put the kind of money into improving the football program that other schools are willing to do.

I guess he just seems like he would've been perfect for Miami when they were still The U.

I forgot about the Day to Chicago rumors.  C'mon Bears, help me out here.

• Like 1

I don't know if you guys have looked at Brian Kelly or not, but that guy can eat. I don't think he'd have a problem putting away a bucket of crawfish or eating a whole seafood boil.

I'm still surprised over this. I figured if anything BK would go pro instead of coaching another college team. Aside from the money, this is likely his last best chance at winning a NC and that was never going to happen at ND. Sure, he could get ND to the dance every few years or so and have a winning record every year, but I don't think they're ever winning a NC. Same shit that happened with him at Cincinnati.

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't know if you guys have looked at Brian Kelly or not, but that guy can eat. I don't think he'd have a problem putting away a bucket of crawfish or eating a whole seafood boil.

I'm still surprised over this. I figured if anything BK would go pro instead of coaching another college team. Aside from the money, this is likely his last best chance at winning a NC and that was never going to happen at ND. Sure, he could get ND to the dance every few years or so and have a winning record every year, but I don't think they're ever winning a NC. Same shit that happened with him at Cincinnati.

I'm not a ND fan but it would be pretty damn funny if he left them now and somehow they won the NC in a month.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He looks like he can eat,  but he also looks like he thinks mayonnaise is too damn spicy. He doesn't look like a man who can't hold his own at the dinner table,  he looks like he can't hold his own at that particular dinner table. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm not a ND fan but it would be pretty damn funny if he left them now and somehow they won the NC in a month.

By somehow you mean half of UGA comes down with COVID?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

It sounds like it'll be Marcus Freeman, and he is a name that gets mentioned as someone who could be the next good HC. Some of ND Twitter is demanding that be the guy that gets hired. 

Well the AD stated that whoever is elevated to the interim role will not be considered for the HC Job so in that case better hope its not Freeman

From the ESPN story

Swarbrick has not named an interim head coach and might not do so for the postseason, including a potential playoff appearance. Kelly will not be involved in coaching Notre Dame this postseason, and any coach elevated to the interim role will not be considered for the permanent position, Swarbrick said. Notre Dame will designate an assistant to handle head-coaching decisions on game day for the postseason.

Swarbrick will not use a search firm and will start the search process later Tuesday, saying there has been "a lot of outreach" from potential candidates. He put no timetable on the search, noting that Notre Dame might even be willing to wait until after the postseason to make the hire.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Hey, Steve Fisher pulled it off for Michigan in 1989 in basketball...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Coaches leaving before a big bowl game with a team they recruited and coached to get there blows my mind a bit. I can't imagine doing that. I understand the "why" (to get a head start on recruiting) but still. If the stars align and both ND and Cincy make the playoffs and both don't have their coaches its going to be wild.

I would love to see the NCAA put rules in place to eliminate this stuff.  No talking to or hiring coaches from another school until the day after the national title game.  And severe penalties if you go around the rules.  Adjust the early signing dates or whatever needs to be done.  It's unfair to everyone that this stuff goes on.  

As for those wondering about ND/Cincy and the national title, just remember that Les Miles accepted an offer from Michigan before LSU was set to play in the national title game.  Miles insisted on coaching the game.  Michigan refused and that's how we ended up with Rich Rodriguez.  Miles and LSU, of course, won the title.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I would love to see the NCAA put rules in place to eliminate this stuff.  No talking to or hiring coaches from another school until the day after the national title game.  And severe penalties if you go around the rules.  Adjust the early signing dates or whatever needs to be done.  It's unfair to everyone that this stuff goes on.  

This makes sense if we're talking about what is right or wrong, but this is college football we're talking about and doing what's right is never considered. No one who has the power to change this can make a dollar by changing this rule. There are literally hundreds of millions of dollars being made by keeping it like it is, so it won't ever change. 

7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This makes sense if we're talking about what is right or wrong, but this is college football we're talking about and doing what's right is never considered. No one who has the power to change this can make a dollar by changing this rule. There are literally hundreds of millions of dollars being made by keeping it like it is, so it won't ever change. 

Are those parts of the system (coaching changes during the year and early signing) really a positive for the folks who are ultimately making the decisions at NCAA level?  Obviously they are for the coaches, but I don't see how they benefit ADs and/or college presidents.  Something there I'm missing?

21 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Well, of course we're talking about college football here so I expect nothing positive to happen without lawsuits.  

12 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Are those parts of the system (coaching changes during the year and early signing) really a positive for the folks who are ultimately making the decisions at NCAA level?  Obviously they are for the coaches, but I don't see how they benefit ADs and/or college presidents.  Something there I'm missing?

No, but this is a giant money grift, and the people inside the gift don't do anything to fuck up each other's money. Coaches are in on the grift and are pretty much the faces and voices of the grift. They keep the status quo the status quo. Coaches make this kind of money because the NCAA stops the players from getting paid. Its all part of the grift. It is the reward for carrying the NCAA's water,  so they won't change it. 

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The realization that even blatant, shocking hypocrisy will never be punished has been a real boon to the college sports.

They can't pay the players but can buy Lincoln Riley's 2 homes for $1 million over market value and buy him an additional $6 million home. That is about as blatant as hypocrisy gets. 

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Hey, Steve Fisher pulled it off for Michigan in 1989 in basketball...

My exact thought as well. I don't think Michigan's 89 national title gets discussed enough for just how weird it was.

Anyway, is "Riley leaves successful OU for dumpster fire USC and Kelly leaves playoff contender ND for .500 the last two years LSU" the weirdest off-field 24 hours in NCAAF history?

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

My exact thought as well. I don't think Michigan's 89 national title gets discussed enough for just how weird it was.

Anyway, is "Riley leaves successful OU for dumpster fire USC and Kelly leaves playoff contender ND for .500 the last two years LSU" the weirdest off-field 24 hours in NCAAF history?

Going from ND to LSU makes sense to me. It's much easier to win at LSU than Notre Dame. You can fuck around and win at LSU, you have to be really fucking good to win at Notre Dame and still it might not be enough. 

USC on the other hand feels like a pretty significant step down from Oklahoma. Oklahoma is a top 5 program in the country and has been for pretty much the entire century so far. USC was good under Pete Carrol, and has been pretty bad otherwise. Oklahoma seems to care about football as an institution, and that has to be the biggest factor to their success. USC seems to be a dumpster fire from top to bottom, and that is a big hurdle to jump. 

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Going from ND to LSU makes sense to me. It's much easier to win at LSU than Notre Dame. You can fuck around and win at LSU, you have to be really fucking good to win at Notre Dame and still it might not be enough. 

USC on the other hand feels like a pretty significant step down from Oklahoma. Oklahoma is a top 5 program in the country and has been for pretty much the entire century so far. USC was good under Pete Carrol, and has been pretty bad otherwise. Oklahoma seems to care about football as an institution, and that has to be the biggest factor to their success. USC seems to be a dumpster fire from top to bottom, and that is a big hurdle to jump. 

USC is a side step or even slightly better job than Oklahoma, they've stepped on their own dicks with bad coaching/AD hires and had to deal with the insane sanctions the NCAA laid on them for the horrid crime of Reggie Bush taking some gifts from an agent. But there's a crazy amount of talent in their backyard, they have an extremely rich and extremely well connected alumni pool for NIL opportunities, plus a huge amount of recruits would rather play in LA over places like Norman, Columbus, Athens and so on. The right coach will have them in the playoff year in and year out.

2 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

But there's a crazy amount of talent in their backyard, they have an extremely rich and extremely well connected alumni pool for NIL opportunities, plus a huge amount of recruits would rather play in LA over places like Norman, Columbus, Athens and so on. The right coach will have them in the playoff year in and year out.

There is little to no evidence for this. Oklahoma has 3 non Covid seasons this century with fewer than 10 wins.  They are an elite program, USC is not. USC has all the advantages you listed above,  but every year Oklahoma out performs them. California produces a lot of football players who leave L.A. for Norman, Columbus, and Athens every single year. They are also mismanaged from the top down which is the biggest disadvantage. If geography won you football games Oklahoma would never win a damn thing. That program is a well oiled machine. USC is a used Lamborghini that has been in multiple accidents and was caught in a flood. Suit it looks like a Lamborghini, but you probably shouldn't expect it to perform like a Lamborghini. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

He looks like he can eat,  but he also looks like he thinks mayonnaise is too damn spicy. He doesn't look like a man who can't hold his own at the dinner table,  he looks like he can't hold his own at that particular dinner table. 

• Haha 6

I'd have to dig it out of my phone, but there's a funny tweet from last night that's captioned "the first time Brian Kelly tries momma's gumbo."

Also, there's a not great story about Kelly when he had Matt LaFleur and Robert Saleh as GAs at CMU.