DVDVR Message Board

2021 NCAAF: Championship Week

Robert C

Let's see if Kelly can hold onto a coordinator for more than a year I guess, or who comes with him. 

Not football related, but I wonder what happens with the Paqui Kelly Breast Cancer Center here. 

And I would take Fickle in a heartbeat over Urb. It would be petty funny to have this pipeline of coaches from Cincinnati to ND.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Notre Dame is one of the two jobs Fickell would leave Cincinnati for. They should go ahead and make that happen, double quick.

Here's the two questions:

Assuming they win and get in, would Fickell leave Cincy when they have a playoff spot?

And if the answer to that is no, can ND really afford to wait for him until January, possibly a week and a half into January?

But that has been the word, that ND and Ohio State are the two schools he would have the hardest time saying no to. And I can't imagine Cincy can afford to win a bidding war.

2 hours ago, Robert C said:

I’m interested to see how close to $250 million Kelly’s fairy godmother got him.  Halfway maybe?

Well, Dennis Dodd said he's hearing $15 million a year for at least 5 years, maybe longer.

So probably not $250, but if that's accurate he's the highest paid coach by quite a bit.

This is the first time in my lifetime that a coach has left ND when the team was really good. Lou Holtz's last couple years weren't good and the team was definitely trending down. Every other coach has left ND from various states of meh to total dumpster fire. 

Coaches leaving before a big bowl game with a team they recruited and coached to get there blows my mind a bit. I can't imagine doing that. I understand the "why" (to get a head start on recruiting) but still. If the stars align and both ND and Cincy make the playoffs and both don't have their coaches its going to be wild.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Robert C said:

Kelly's contract - 10 years, $95 million.  Incentives take it to $15M per year.   WTF are those incentives?

I'm assuming "tasting Tabasco" is $500k, and "listening to an jazz" is $14.5M.

• Haha 4

There's some Bill O'Brien to Virginia Tech rumblings I saw floating around amidst the chaos.

Also, Mike Bobo is out as Auburn's OC. It's a move I have mixed feelings over, but some of the players and people close to the program were posting excited things. 

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

I mean... who the fuck coaches in the bowl game? Fucking Tommy Rees?!

It sounds like it'll be Marcus Freeman, and he is a name that gets mentioned as someone who could be the next good HC. Some of ND Twitter is demanding that be the guy that gets hired. 

I'm gonna be disappointed in OU and ND if they end up with Venables and Freeman.  I was hoping to keep the coach poaching train rolling.  If those two end up with boring, sensible hires where's the fun in that?  I guess somebody else has to step up.  Miami, you're up.  I need some Lane Kiffin rumors, stat.

• Haha 1