DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 11/26/2021

Your traditional Black Friday Deal Match: Riho vs DMD

Kingston vs Garcia, which, holy moley yes please!!

A team without Trent ? or tennis shoes but is still clearly Best Friends vs Bay Bay Fish (Doot dootdoot dootdootdoot)

Edit: It occurs to me that Dinosaur (good ole) Jr very nearly use the "Baby Shark" rhythm in this song (and also a heavier version of it in Watch the Corners) so here is something nice to listen to before the Road To:

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 3

My thoughts from the Discord

- "The exchange between Orange and Cole a minute ago probably gave Cornette another mini-stroke"

- "Holy shit Tony Nese looks just like Jay White"

- "Daniel Garcia has some really weird and goofy selling but that was a fuckin good match

Really chippy and uncooperative. I almost wanted Eddie to sell LESS but man, he is Passion of the Christ when he gets going

Jericho meanwhile looked almost afraid to hobble down there but at least a babyface helped out another babyface"

I was not in the mood for a Baker match so pretty much ignored it.

• Like 1

There was some really good pro wrestling on Rampage this week.

I liked how the opener mixed goofiness, athleticism, and violence.

I missed a big chunk of Riho vs DMD (my younger daughter wanted my attention) but what I saw looked great. Riho's offense is looking more believable now than when she was champ.

I'm sure Garcia vs Kingston was (almost) everyone here's cup of tea, and rightfully so. I'll bet at least one person is going to say that Kingston gave Garcia too much (and if you feel that way, fair enough, I suppose) but I love love love love love how a lot of the veteran/higher-card AEW wrestlers can be so giving in the ring with younger/lower-card guys. It's one of my favourite things about this promotion.  

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 7

Jesus. what a wad of wrestling.  The Kingston/Garcia match was so fucking good.  Garcia should have gotten in his Scorpion Deathlok.  The High Angle German was fucking NASTY.  (EDIT:  Correction, upon rewatching of the match, that was actually a high angle Tequila Sunrise Suplex.)  Garcia was fucking intense and looked fucking great.  I loved how Kingston cut him off with a different AJPW finisher each time.  Man, Rhio came to wrestle.  She layed it in more than fucking Eddie Kingston tonight.  Britt Baker was better than I've ever seen her also, ring generalship and shit.  This was Baker's best match.  The opening match was also spectacular because it had all the fucking around that I haven't seen this much since the last time I saw Lazortron and Jimmy Boogie Woogie Man Valient tag together  BUT then Bobby Fish comes in channeling Takashi Sugiura and just becomes awesome.  WAY TO GO, AEW~!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Awesome hour of wrestling.

Opener was fun and that top rope falcon arrow looked like a fucking explosion, nobody kicks out of the Falcon Arrow.

Riho-Baker was great and one of my favourite Riho matches because her move set seems more varied (I can’t get too much into wrestlers that relies on Double Foot Stomps as their main offence). Surprising finish and commentary helped to hammer the point that Riho seems to be the one person that Brit can’t beat.

It’s such a joy to watch Garcia and Eddie anytime they’re out there. Loved this one top to bottom. Garcia is low key one of the underrated in ring MVPs this year.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2

Great show. Jericho is deteriorating physically fast but hell it looks like he is going to feud with 2.0 so it's not like he's taking up space in the upper card (plus he gets bonus DVDVR points for channeling Kenny Bania). I'm wondering they're going to do a 3 on 2 match and have Jericho put Garcia over.....Jericho would pretty clearly do it.

I love tape delay ‘Saturday morning wrestling’.  I dug this one like all the Ramapagists in here.  I didn’t have a big complaint to share until @DEANmentioned Cole and Fish really should have given us the big hug.  I was wondering during this match if Cole putting some attention towards OC could lead to the Cool Kyle-OC showdown i’ve been waiting for since reading about that, perhaps, misguided NXT try.  

I liked Baker-Riho, but thought Britt looked a bit out of sorts a few times in there.  Also, flash pins work a lot better in combo with a solid move.  The Reversal flash pin in this context looked a wee bit weak.  That said, good bout and overall the Women’s division has picked up some momentum in recent weeks.  Putting the right performers and matches on TV is important.

I’m not sure that attack from Nese was enough for Sammy to be sprawled out barely conscious.  Or is a knee from Nese that devastating?  Maybe it is.  If Nese has any upward mobility he’s probably gonna need a manager.  Tho, a low card gatekeeper role is just fine too.

2.0 and Garcia are the goddamn chef’s kiss!  Loved, on Dynamite, Parker telling Jericho to watch his mouth.  Jericho’s keen eye for the up and comers, I predict, is going to lead to 2.0 getting a much deserved big win on their slow road to the top.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5

Enjoyable show. I liked how Garcia vs Kingston went a lot of places. There was a ton of meat to that match and it told a whole bunch of stories at once. There was Kingston beating Garcia down and the weight advantage, Kingston getting goaded enough to go up to the top and hurt his own knee, the knee as a bridge to the great equalizer in the ear, a vulnerable Kingston working to throw suplexes, Garcia still wanting to prove something with strike exchanges, 2.0 on the outside, etc. A lot of stuff going on there. I loved the Punk/Garcia match but there was a lot more going on here.

Yuta looked good. I liked the Cole/Cassidy stuff because it had stakes. It absolutely had stakes. It mattered to the wrestlers, not in a ha-ha cosmic sort of thing, but in a pride and pop thing. Cole wanted the best pop from the crowd. He wanted the adulation. He didn't want to get clowned. Cassidy wanted to do his thing since Cole got to do his and he wanted to get under Cole's skin. So they fought tooth and nail over the moment. If you think of it about pride, it's true to the characters. I liked the gamesmanship in the finishing stretch where Cole may have given Yuta a move to get another one in a moment later. In general, the balance between heat and finishing stretch is all messed up in the tags of the last 10 years and the heat being in the PIP (even if I wasn't watching it that way) doesn't help.

Liked Riho vs Britt. I had a Tito Santana in 1990 PTW moment where I didn't know where Riho was going to go after she hit the double stomp and there was a kick out (Taz was right: Britt should have grabbed the rope), so it was nice to see her actually win. Usually after Tito hit the forearm and the guy flew out of the ring, that was the end of any hope Tito had of winning.

Weird that you had two Team Taz guys on commentary and no one asked about Dante.

• Like 5

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
30 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I’m not sure that attack from Nese was enough for Sammy to be sprawled out barely conscious.  Or is a knee from Nese that devastating?

I was half asleep when I was watching, but wasn't it a liver shot? I'd buy a knee to the liver being enough to sprawl someone out.

Sammy's had injured ribs for weeks. Like he was too hurt to take part in the pre-PPV Bowling Tournament (but still did a Flip Senton off a ladder ON the PPV). The Jay Lethal match was built around him selling the midsection.

And Nese's promo was all about how he'd been scouting the opposition. So obviously he went after the injury.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The ONE TIME a falcon arrow finishes a match and we don't get Excalibur's "No one kicks out of the falcon arrow" call.

Really loved the dueling BAY BAYs and keeping Cassidy from getting his hands in his pockets. Not sure what the plans are for the Elite going forward but I'm hoping this Fish/Cole team has some legs, would love to see them vs. Penta and Fenix at some point. 

2.0 and Garcia is such a bizarre pairing and it's amazing how these two goofballs have taken murder submission kid under their wing and they just work so well together. King's "just shut up, just shut up, please shut up" popped me pretty good. 

• Like 5

AEW has exposed long time fans like me to a whole new set of wrestlers like Garcia, 2.0 etc. And giving them time on the mains tag to shine on TV with older vets. And a willingness of the vets to let the young guys look good. After being force fed for years the same  names it feels like, its just refreshing and daring. BUT the are using Dark and Elevation much like a TBS show to let the younger talent get reps. It feels like the older vets feel a responsibility to help the younger talent versus protecting their spot.  

• Like 10

Riho vs. Britt was pretty good.  It is bullshit that Abadon did not get a win when she wrestled against Britt on Halloween with the same goddamn match stipulation.  Abadon could've gotten the 50/50 booking and lost later on just like Riho probably will, since Britt beating the former champ in title defense is a legacy building event.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Riho vs. Britt was pretty good.  It is bullshit that Abadon did not get a win when she wrestled against Britt on Halloween with the same goddamn match stipulation.  Abadon could've gotten the 50/50 booking and lost later on just like Riho probably will, since Britt beating the former champ in title defense is a legacy building event.

I’d argue the gimmick meant more because Britt beat Abadon last time.

• Like 1