DVDVR Message Board

What are you making for THANKSGIVING DINNER~??

J.T.

I have once again been called upon to prepare a smoked turducken for dinner and I think we're also going to have jerk lamb chops, curry chicken, and an artery destroying Smithfield ham.

I am hoping that one of the relatives will make the callaloo and green beans simmered in beef stock call without me having to ask them because I fucking love green veggies.  Jamaican peas and rice would also be welcomed.

I am totally un-American so I would be happy if no one brought Mac & Cheese, but someone will.

Corn is for communists and inbreds.  It has no nutritional value.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

You lucky bastard. The only change in our usual is we're smoking the turkey. I beg them to fry it every year and get the same "too dangerous" line. We have a solitary Thanksgiving pretty much every year though, so no company means we never flip the script and come up with anything new. 

And how DARE YOU talk shit about my regional specialty. If corn and its byproducts weren't around, nobody would be fat right now! (Seriously though we get sweet corn that would knock you on your ass it's so good.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

You lucky bastard.

I do not feel lucky. If the turducken is to be ready by dinner, I will probably have to start cooking at some ungodly hour in the morning.  My ex-kinda sorta almost son-in-law's family is from Jamaica and the DR, so they are bringing the island cuisine.  They also make this Nigerian stewed beef and rice thing that is TO DIE FOR~!

I am a really good roaster, smoker, griller, and baker but the Nigerian thing is out of my depth.  My attempts at international cuisine usually end in tears.  I think I am just bad at knowing when to follow a recipe and when to deviate from it.

Do not feel bad about my hatred of corn.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Whatever I get as takeout the day before. ?

my uncles house is still being rebuilt from being hit by lightning, so he is going to see his son in Florida. My Great-Aunt and daughter are in the Keys. Those where only people left at our dinner after my parents passed away. 

• Like 1

My Mother-in-law being checked out this year means that we get to do what we'd like for a change, and switch up a bit.  I'm still doing my Applewood Smoked Turkey (that spend 24 hours in a Apple Cider Vinegar/Bourbon brine) with accompanying gravy and sausage stuffing, but we're switching up to cheesed potatoes, and roasted vinegar and brown sugar glazed root vegetables.    And I don't have to carve up a second roasted turkey (yeah, we have to make 2 because of my in-laws and their strict procedures).  

• Like 2

Not a damn thing since I don't really cook much outside of breakfast and making coffee. My older brother and youngest sister are the bigger cooks of the family and since the former started living with us again I haven't really had to make dinner too often (only thing I ever cooked for the holidays was a delicious leg of lamb once). 

My brother is doing his standard injected turkey, a kind of honey ham, and a fried rabbit for the main dishes. Will also be making some stuffing, something with potatoes, and presumably candied yams. The sister will doing greens, either cornbread or rolls, and I forget the third thing. Normally she would be making more sides, but she has to work so she is just doing three although it wouldn't shock me if she ends up making a desert for my father on the weekend.

I just had a root canal this past Sunday so I can't really pig out of anything.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

I mix a cup of yogurt with a cup of rolled oats and half a cup of frozen blueberries, then leave it in the fridge while I go off to work. 

That'll be my Thanksgiving dinner. I'll have a smoked chicken breast and a handful of almonds and cashews at work, as well, most likely. And a nice bottle of tea.

What do you want me to say? I'm Canadian, I live in Japan, and I'm on a diet.

I LOVE a nice turkey dinner. I miss my mom's stuffing and gravy. I once went to Subway on Canadian Thanksgiving/my birthday, and had a sliced turkey breast sandwich (which is the only easy way to get turkey over here). Bad choice. Made me miss real turkey even more.

The food here is amazing, even the stuff that fits into my diet (like smoked or peppered chicken breasts, frozen mango chunks, soy sauce flavoured boiled eggs, and spicy bean sprouts with pork loin, all of which I can get at 7-11 here). But oh boy do I envy you lads your full on Turkey dinners.

Enjoy!!

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 5

Due to most of my cousins not being vaxxed and my refusal to be around them because of that, Thanksgiving this year is just me, my wife and daughter, my parents, and my brother.  Since only my wife really likes turkey, we're having hamloaf as the main dish with cheesy hashbrown casserole, sweet potato casserole, broccoli cauliflower salad, deviled eggs, and butterhorn rolls from the Amish style bakery.  I have to pickup the salad, rolls, and the sugar cream pie for dessert tomorrow and then make the hashbrown casserole on Thursday morning.  Last Friday was my wife's birthday, so we took a trip to northern Indiana and ate a Thanksgiving style dinner at an Amish restaurant--fried chicken, roasted turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, chicken and noodles, green beans with bacon and pearl onions.  This might be the way we do things going forward actually.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Technico Support said:

We had turkey two years ago and said to ourselves, “man, we don’t really like turkey.  Why do we do this?”  Then we did it again last year.  WTF!?

This year I’m grilling steaks.

I hear ya.  We have done turduckens for about five years now because we wanted an alternative to plain ol' turkey.  We still have a good relationship with my ex-girlfriend's daughter's ex-husband's family (yeah, that's a lot of ex's), so they come over for Thanksgiving and bring Jamaican or West African dishes while I order the saltiest ham I can get from good ol' Smithfield.

We don't really do "traditional" Thanksgiving dishes anymore.  I should grill steaks next year.

15 hours ago, Eivion said:

My brother is doing his standard injected turkey, a kind of honey ham, and a fried rabbit for the main dishes.

My ex-boo who I am still cool with lived in Germany when her ex-husband was in the Army and she makes this traditional hasenpfeffer that is absurdly good.  Shoestring potatoes and red cabbage are the preferred sides.

My daughter, unfortunately, got her palate from her mom.  My ex-boo prepared it for dinner one night and my kid gobbled it all down in one bite.  Once we told her what the main ingredient was, I think my kid cried for the rest of the weekend.

There was as similar incident when she asked what calamari was after eating it, but there was more gagging involved rather than tears.

She was a little kid when she tried those dishes.  Her palate has become more refined since going to college and meeting friends from all over.  Best thing to happen to her.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

I have 3 rules for eating nowadays: nothing I would rather have as a pet (so there goes rabbit), nothing that could get up and walk off the plate prior to cooking (lobster is a huge disappointment anyway), and nothing I would call "intelligent" (no octopus or squid).  Aside from the rabbit, I wouldn't call any of those good in the first place.  I appreciate the ethical issues in eating meat, but I enjoy eating, y'know, BACON, so those lines in the sand are the best I will do.

But, what am I making?  A mess.  Certainly that.

• Like 2

We are making the turkey and green been casserole (?). My mother in law is making her mashed potatoes. Or, as my sister in law and I call them, her crack potatoes. I'm not sure what my sister in law is making, but she's bringing my neice (five months old today) so she's really making the biggest contribution.

• Like 2

Rabbit... again, y'all lucky. That Smithfield J.T. buys is gonna be the Xmas meal for the rest of my folks' years. I can't even get them to cook lamb on a special occasion. 

As far as ethics goes, I caught this last night on Colbert: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/lobsters-crabs-and-octopuses-will-be-recognized-as-sentient-beings-in-the-uk-warranting-welfare-protections-180979113/ (I personally have no qualms, though I enjoy veg and Vegan fare and have friends with both diets, and understand their reasoning. Guarantee you some of them are having some bomb Thanksgiving that has no animal at all.)

• Like 1

My sister-in-law's family is apparently doing most of the cooking this year so I'm just making my grandma's scalloped cabbage as a side. 

Although as a concession to modernity I am replacing  the Velveeta in the recipe with real cheese.  Sorry, grandma.

• Like 2

Yeah, like brussel sprouts, cabbage is really good so long as you don't overcook it, but once you have it ruined for you it's pretty much ruined forever.

My SIL & family are  Guamanian so there's a good chance we'll have lumpia and chicken kelaguen alongside dinner tonight

• Like 1

Just the standard turkey, mashed potato, stuffing combo. Some sort of veggie. 

I don’t know if I’m with like-minded folks (or fucking HEATHENS! ?), but there will also be cranberry sauce out of a can on the table. Thanksgiving is not Thanksgiving without it. I like the real deal, freshly made stuff, too, but there’s something about the canned garbage that makes me happy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zimbra said:

My SIL & family are  Guamanian so there's a good chance we'll have lumpia and chicken kelaguen alongside dinner tonight

I am coming to your house next year.

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Rabbit... again, y'all lucky. That Smithfield J.T. buys is gonna be the Xmas meal for the rest of my folks' years. I can't even get them to cook lamb on a special occasion. y

I normally roast a leg of lamb or broil lamb chops for special occasions.   I stopped doing that when my ex-boo's daughter's ex-husband's family started bringing jerk lamb to holiday meals.  My lamb is pretty good but the Jamaican sauces really bring a new flavor to the dish.

We rarely have rabbit for dinner because the only people that ate it were me and my ex-boo and we're not really together anymore.  We still get along, but not so much that we want to live together again and share intimate meals.

I should steal her hasenpfeffer recipe.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1