DVDVR Message Board

HAWKEYE (SPOILER TALK).

The Natural

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Clint Barton watching Rogers: The Musical reminded me of old Bruce Wayne watching in disgust a Batman musical with Terry McGinnis in Batman of the Future.

Writers on this show are clearly Batman Beyond fans and ripped it off from that show. No wonder Clint probably doesn't want to be around his family during the holidays. They made him sit through a show that trivialized everything he stands for.

"For as we all know, criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot! The plan and plot but always get caught!" That gag felt like the perfect statement because there had been attempts for years to make a Batman stage musical. Spider-Man on Broadway is a good example of why it should never happen.

• Like 2

Finished the first two episode a couple of hours ago. So far its off to a solid start. Steinfeld is definitely the highlight of the show so far though I don't think Renner is doing a bad job at all as her straight man.  The battle of New York stuff at the beginning was surprising and nice tie in. I'm digging Swordsman. Not super familiar with his character, but I loved how he played Kate completely during their sparring match.

• Like 2

I'm at the point with these Marvel shows, that I never expect them to do the thing that makes the most sense, and everyone wants them to do.  Kingpin absolutely makes the most sense, based on the source material, so I expect them to do the opposite and it will be way less cool and interesting.  I feel like Loki is the only one of these shows to really stick the landing at the end.  That said, I thought the first two episodes of this were pretty fun.

Edited by RandomAct

Matt and I were talking about the fact Fraction is one of the consulting producers. I think he’s the first creator to work on a project based on his source material in the modern MCU. Matt was telling me how much the movie people butted heads with folks like Bendis and Quesada earlier.

I’d like to think Fraction is heavily involved within the show, but he seemed to be downplaying his involvement in an interview I read last week.  He lucked into the gig because he and the director and both friends with Seth Meyers.

Enjoyed the first two eps, though I’m still perplexed by the dislike A lot of people have for Renner.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I’d like to think Fraction is heavily involved within the show, but he seemed to be downplaying his involvement in an interview I read last week.  He lucked into the gig because he and the director and both friends with Seth Meyers.

I didn't even know he worked on the show until I saw something about this on BC a few days ago. 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Matt and I were talking about the fact Fraction is one of the consulting producers. I think he’s the first creator to work on a project based on his source material in the modern MCU. Matt was telling me how much the movie people butted heads with folks like Bendis and Quesada earlier.

Wasn't this more an issue about Perlmutter than anything else?  

I thought the first two episodes were fine, although it's by far the most CW-y of the MCU series.  Steinfeld is the highlight but Renner's I'm-too-old-for-this-shit grumpiness is also enjoyable.

My main takeaway is that Hawkeye is absolutely deader than disco.  You don't get that many "I love my family" scenes unless your character is getting clapped up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Enjoyed the first two eps, though I’m still perplexed by the dislike A lot of people have for Renner.

Renner is playing Ultimate Hawkeye. Ultimate Hawkeye sucks. 

We were robbed of the chance of seeing Hawkeye as the devilish rogue of the Avengers who eventually grows into a competent, mature leader. 

In many ways, Hawkeye has a similar dynamic in the Avengers that Wolverine did at first.

Edited by TheVileOne

9 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I literally only realized while watching the show Tony Dalton is playing Swordsman, not Timothy Dalton.

I assume the “Thanos was right” graffiti in the bathroom was related to the Flagsmashers.

My god. Timothy Dalton from about 15 years ago would have been incredible in this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I assume the “Thanos was right” graffiti in the bathroom was related to the Flagsmashers.

Some people think it is a meta reference to Eternals.   That's if you buy the theory that Thanos's campaign of galaxy wide genocide was specifically designed to prevent the emergence of new Celestials.

Edited by J.T.

I liked the bit where Kate was telling Hawkeye that being grim and gritty wasn't cool anymore and the people want optimism, and heart on your sleeve openness.

You know how in a couple of the D+ shows, the characters change gimmicks at the end? Like how Falcon and Winter Soldier ends up as Captain America and Bucky, or Wandavision becomes the Scarlet Witch show? Is this going to be the story of how Kate Bishop becomes Hawkeye II? And is she joining the Shadow Avengers with Super Patriot and Yelena?

If they’re putting Ms. Marvel in the Young Avengers, then they might as well just mash-up Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers as well. Neither are going to be exactly 1:1 true to their comics origin anyway.

On 11/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, JonnyLaw said:

On 11/26/2021 at 10:10 AM, J.T. said:

Some people think it is a meta reference to Eternals.   That's if you buy the theory that Thanos's campaign of galaxy wide genocide was specifically designed to prevent the emergence of new Celestials.

I just figured it was a throwaway joke.  I mean Clint sees it at a urinal at a moment where everything is kind of shitty (he's a an awful musical, some guy is bugging him for a autograph), so it's just piling on the awfulness and maybe in that moment, he's thinking we'd be better off with half of everyone gone.

• Like 5

I took that Thanos graffiti differently.  They'd just shown during the play how the battle of New York had traumatized Clint.  Then, he lost his best friend and his family (for a while) and his humanity because of Thanos' snap.  To see that written there after he'd sacrificed so much to defeat Thanos must've been really painful.

• Like 8