DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 11/19/2021

Was really surprised by how much I liked Jade and Velvet. It's fun to watch Jade grow too, how much more comfortable in the ring and how much more confident she and natural she comes off in her character. Velvet is always fun too.

I don't watch the web shows but didn't realize Billy joined Cody in getting his last name back. For a while it was Billy AND Austin/Colton Gunn ala Cody AND Brandy Rhodes.

Billy Gunn laying into Sting on a real life wrestling show today... who could call have that one?

• Like 4

20 hours ago, A_K said:

Billy Gunn is in incredible condition compared to his peers from that era. The guy was an upper mid card talent back in the 90s and can still go. Big kudos for that.

Pretty sure he lost his job at NXT because he pissed hot enough to melt the cup at a powerlifting competition, so that might have something to do with how he has seemingly cracked the code on aging.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

Young Wrestling fans, when they grow up, they aren't going to call playing Ricky Morton "playing Ricky Morton". They're going to call it Jungle Boying.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, AxB said:

Young Wrestling fans, when they grow up, they aren't going to call playing Ricky Morton "playing Ricky Morton". They're going to call it Jungle Boying.

Although I must say that the best Ricky Morton of that night was Orange Cassidy.

• Like 3

“Great kids.” I loved Taz saying that when the Gunn kids were taunting Darby like the two biggest jerk-off daddy’s boys possible.

I also love how Thunder Rosa still wears her half face paint when she’ a dressed like she’s headed to a marketing networking event as soon as her promo is over.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Rampage week after week is just a super fun hour of wrestling. We had Sting and Billy Gunn facing off in 2021 - tell that to 10 year old me and watch his head explode, a surprisingly good Jade/Velvet match, and a great main event. I loved Cole yelling "Bobby! Bobby, no!" over and over on the stage, his facial expressions had us dying. 

Edit: I do want to add, I'm serious when I say I liked the Gunn/Darby match. The classic David/Goliath shit was there, the coffin drop to the outside ruled, and we got the aforementioned 1998 fever dream face off.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, elizium said:

Ah yes, the 1 count kickout of the coffin drop by the *checks notes* 43-6 Billy Gunn

I get it, but people who've been more dominant over the years than Darby have caught much flack for coming back victorious so quickly from similar one-sided beatdowns. I appreciate that after getting nothing the whole match against an opponent who's sold as being large and in charge in this company, it took two consecutive bombs. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Oh, now I want to see 60+ years Jungle Boy working spot shows in 2060.  I have one proviso to that, and that is he should still be called Jungle Boy, even at 60 years old. I never want him to become Jungle Man.

The Gunn Club are the perfect marriage of Pat McAfee and Stifler.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

“Great kids.” I loved Taz saying that when the Gunn kids were taunting Darby like the two biggest jerk-off daddy’s boys possible.

I also love how Thunder Rosa still wears her half face paint when she’ a dressed like she’s headed to a marketing networking event as soon as her promo is over.

Business casual Thunder Rosa is the best Thunder Rosa

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I really liked Velvet/Jade. I was rooting for Velvet although I knew she didn't stand a chance, although they nearly got me when she reversed Jade's finisher into a pin. But I kind of like the idea of Jade always having her number. 

• Like 1

Velvet having Jade’s flaws in execution figured out but still not being able to negotiate around her resilience and raw power is a good story. If they’re able to keep this simmering the crowd will go banana for her pinning Jade one day. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

I really enjoyed Darby vs Gunn. Totally different pace than anything else in the company. Gunn's ancient but huge and strong and Darby, who was not only going to beat him, but was going to beat him clean, was awesome in taking all of his stuff. Gunn worked the crowd, worked Darby, worked Sting, was just constantly on and constantly in the match. When the crowd started going after his kids with the Danhausen chant, he reacted and changed his game accordingly. I thought he killed time especially well during the commercial break. When Darby finally got some offense at the end, he did the most character-driven thing possible: when given a chance, he decided to do the coffin drop to the kids on the outside instead. That's what he used his big opening for, because he's nuts. And yes, Gunn, who'd barely taken any offense the entire match so he was pretty damn fresh (though the stunner looked awkward in the best way because Gunn had the power to let Darby readjust given the positioning) kicked out of a coffin drop at one only to get crushed by it afterwards and lose clean. At times the crowd was chanting to mock the Gunn kids but when it came down to the stretch, they were chanting for Darby. That's a sign this thing worked. I am all for Sting, Wight, and Darby giving Gunn Club their first trios loss.

I really feel like Jade vs Velvet was probably the best match they could have had given their combined experience (Cagematch says just over 100 matches for Velvet and 20 for Jade). They worked big vs little but differently than the Darby match, with Velvet going for a lot of stuff and a lot of comebacks. That's the thing with the show and why Darby couldn't get more in: they had to work things differently.

Oh hey guys, let me point something out. You know what I loved? After Velvet had some trouble with her tope into Jade's punch, Tazz first noted how the stumble may have helped out Velvet as she didn't eat all of the punch and then Excalibur went further and said it could have been Velvet, with her athleticism and body control, trying to stop things as she saw that Jade was ready for her. Announcers covering a flub in a believable way that respects the crowd, gets over the strategy of pro wrestling, and protects the wrestlers, something that helps the match instead of hurting it. Novel idea, excellent announcing. Much appreciation.

It's a chicken/egg thing but I loved how into the main the crowd was and while some of that was Cole and Jungle Boy both being over, a lot of it was how they worked a classic Southern Tag. It works. It matters. It was a beautiful hot tag.

Watching this thing on a Saturday Morning is like getting to see WCW Power Hour again.

Good commentary throughout but especially as noted above.  I too find myself preferring this hour of power on Saturdays.  For me it's the early afternoon for nostalgic pleasures.  Tho, I also loved the morning line-up of 11am WWF Superstars 12pm Soul Train that WJBK Detroit offered in the early to mid 90s.    

Jade Cargill is wonderful and getting better and better.  

Adam Cole is also wonderful.  He's perfectly serious yet hilarious.  I love this Frank TJ Mackey/Kenny Powers routine.  The RATM-inspired theme is also outstanding and incredibly funny.  Love that opening, gets me every time.  And the goddamned 'Boom'!  Just terrific.  I'm somewhat new to Cole save for a few NXT matches and some bad(ly scripted) NXT promos.  This AEW version is unstoppable.  That tag match was great.  The Fish-haters have seemingly all disappeared.  

I love these weekly Mark Henry interview spots.  When they start talking they should split the screen so the bigger left side has the promo with two boxes to the right stacked on top of one another - the opponent on top and Mark just below.  And then vice versa for the otherside.  As is it looks slightly shotty.  Tho, whatever, I love this segment.  

Stoked for QTVCM!  More stoked for CabanaVDragon!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, EVA said:

Pretty sure he lost his job at NXT because he pissed hot enough to melt the cup at a powerlifting competition, so that might have something to do with how he has seemingly cracked the code on aging.

Sure. He's also a decade older than Waltman; older than Michaels, HHH & James. I'm not sure any of those names are paragons of virtue (nor anyone from that era, to be frank), but he remains in far better condition than them all. For context if he was active in the WWE I believe he'd be one of the five oldest active male PWers in their history & he's out here throwing legitimate matches. Its some feat, and as said, he's not the only one to have gone down that path re: substances.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Oh, now I want to see 60+ years Jungle Boy working spot shows in 2060.  I have one proviso to that, and that is he should still be called Jungle Boy, even at 60 years old. I never want him to become Jungle Man.

Ric Flair is never became the Nature Man, so there is precedent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The precedent for changing your name because you're not a Kid anymore was set by Wild Pegasus, so it's no wonder nobody wants to follow it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The precedent for changing your name because you're not a Kid anymore was set by Wild Pegasus, so it's no wonder nobody wants to follow it.

The 123 Kid had enough birthdays to turn Syxx.Then he was X-Pac. X of course being the Roman numeral for 10.

Great progression there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 11/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, grilledcheese said:

I get the GG Allin connection, but what does the name Dolin have to do with Darby Crash?

It's too coincidental not to be some sort of jacked up portmanteau.

Edited by J.T.

I want Jungleboy to eventually adopt the very 80s sounding "Jungle Jack Perry" that JR always wants to call him. At the very least, go by Jungleboy Jack Perry.

Darby Allin has the Mick Foley like ability (or desire) to make anyone look like a killer with his insane bumping, even 58 year old Billy Gunn. Not sure about Billy kicking out of the coffin drop at 1, but you could argue that Billy came across as more dangerous and credible here than he did during most of his prime.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1