DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 11/19/2021

A dinosaur and a boy vs a fish and a bay bay which, frankly, seems like an unfair match-up.

Jade vs Velvet in a battle of 70s rockstar fashion statements.

The New Age Rockabilly Ass Man Outlaw "Cute" Kip Montana-Winchester vs  if I understand correctly, a skateboarder who is married to one of the NXT Women's Tag Team Champions. (Edit: I apparently do not understand correctly).

Screw it, let's do it!!!

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Matt D said:

My gut says there's going to be a big divide about the idea of the Gunn vs Allin match (on paper) between people who have been watching the webshows and people who haven't.

I'd love to see a DVDVR Billy Gunn re-assessment the likes of which haven't been read about since Mark Henry's emergence as a board favorite.  I like using Billy to put over Darby, but I am a smidge worried about what this will look like.  I am however interested in his sons as heels.  I like their heel personas and 'athleticism', but slightly doubting their ability to put it all together.  Still, I wanna see them have a decent sized match on TV doing a job against a moderately successful tag team or one on the rise - Dante and Lio?  I also think they need to start acknowledging Colton's undefeated streak like he's the next or current Bill Goldberg.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I was The One Fan of The One Billy Gunn and I thought he was finally going places when he dumped the Mr. Ass schtick.

Darby’s style is perfect for working underneath against a jacked up veteran with a mean streak. If this is going to be a minor program to keep him busy for the rest of the year I wouldn’t mind a Gunn Club vs Darby/Sting/Show trios match. 

• Like 6

I was wondering myself if big Paul might get involved, but I'm not so sure I want to see that.  I do however wonder what a Paul Wight-Danielson AEW match might look like?  There's a few guys I'd like to see defeat Paul.  I envisioned a TV match with previous Champion Omega that might be fun.  Could Hangman Page figure out how to work an effective TV match with him?  It might be a nice win.  Tho, Paul hasn't looked in such great physical condition thus far.  Not a body shame, moreso a comment on those wobbly knees.  But also, presentation-wise, that zip up onesie with the tacky designs is one of the worst costumes out there.  All that said, I'm fine with Paul making his money as a spokesperson for the 'brand'.  And as a commentator if he can ever figure out how to actually effectively do the job.  I have more hope for Mark Henry.  But both and all the commentators could use some constructive criticism and positive change.  

So Sting can shrug off chairshots and getting powerbombed through a table but can't resist the mighty power of Billy Gunn's punches?

Pretty nothing show.  Not too much was actively bad, but nothing was really interesting either.

And for the love of god, please no more Inner Circle/MOTY shit.

• Like 1

That was a lot better after two nights sleep and not following three hours of wrestling.  That was fun.  I am falling in love with the broriffic douchiness of the Ass Boys.  I was wondering how they were going to cover up for Red Velvet fubarring the tope and they just kind of rolled with it.  That match was waaay better after a little time away from it.

• Like 8

I liked the storytelling in this show. You had two matches where the bigger more muscular heel put a savage beating on the smaller plucky babyface, and a tag match where the smaller guy got beat down until he barely managed to make the hot tag to his big strong friend... and you had the modern classic AEW flavouring where the babyfaces have friends who can counter the heels trying to play the numbers game, and that makes the difference between winning and losing.

Enjoyed Darby, Velvet, and JB doing their part by bumping around like crazy and Darby and Velvet in particular doing great rag-doll selling.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 4

I loved this show. *Darby/Billy told a simple story very well. The subplot of that story is enjoy Darby Allin while you can before the bump freaking catches up with him. Jade/Velvet surpassed my expectations; they were given enough tv time to not feel like a typical Jade outing. They have a weird chemistry where the height disparity doesn’t allow them to have the smoothest counter spots, but it makes their stuff look less cooperative and more realistic. 

The tag match lost me a bit after the Luchasaurus hot tag when it became an extended break down with illegal partners all over the place. That said, everyone looked good and Jungle Boy is carrying himself more like a star with every appearance. 

With the exception of something like Punk and Kingston’s confrontation, I think this format where there’s no in-ring angles gives every match time and it all flows better. 

*This is Gunn Club energy:

Spoiler

407615-FA-17-AA-42-A3-BD5-C-DE360-B14-D5

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I'll always mark for more Billy in AEW. Enjoyed the match and loved the Billy/Sting showdown and post-match.

Velvet/Jade was pretty awesome. I like Red Velvet a lot, she seems to always get better. Amazing near fall from the push off the ropes counter that was almost kind of buyable. 

Fun main event tag. Great visual of Christian chasing the Bucks around the ring with the chair.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, AxB said:

Gigi and Allin are divorced. Although confusingly named after the same person.

Actually they are named after the same two guys.

Jade vs. Velvet was pretty awesome.  Theoretically, no one on the roster knows Jade better than Red, so I could see them booking the angle where Red eventually has Jade's number and finally gets a win.  That probably won't happen for a while.

I need to work Christian Cage's "smelling of cold spray and regret" into my daily lexicon.

Main event was perfectly fine.  That neckbreaker variation of Chasing The Dragon that Cole and Fish used probably sounded good in the locker room but it looked like a near botch.  I thought Jungle Boy was dead.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I really enjoyed Darby vs Gunn. Totally different pace than anything else in the company. Gunn's ancient but huge and strong and Darby, who was not only going to beat him, but was going to beat him clean, was awesome in taking all of his stuff. Gunn worked the crowd, worked Darby, worked Sting, was just constantly on and constantly in the match. When the crowd started going after his kids with the Danhausen chant, he reacted and changed his game accordingly. I thought he killed time especially well during the commercial break. When Darby finally got some offense at the end, he did the most character-driven thing possible: when given a chance, he decided to do the coffin drop to the kids on the outside instead. That's what he used his big opening for, because he's nuts. And yes, Gunn, who'd barely taken any offense the entire match so he was pretty damn fresh (though the stunner looked awkward in the best way because Gunn had the power to let Darby readjust given the positioning) kicked out of a coffin drop at one only to get crushed by it afterwards and lose clean. At times the crowd was chanting to mock the Gunn kids but when it came down to the stretch, they were chanting for Darby. That's a sign this thing worked. I am all for Sting, Wight, and Darby giving Gunn Club their first trios loss.

I really feel like Jade vs Velvet was probably the best match they could have had given their combined experience (Cagematch says just over 100 matches for Velvet and 20 for Jade). They worked big vs little but differently than the Darby match, with Velvet going for a lot of stuff and a lot of comebacks. That's the thing with the show and why Darby couldn't get more in: they had to work things differently.

Oh hey guys, let me point something out. You know what I loved? After Velvet had some trouble with her tope into Jade's punch, Tazz first noted how the stumble may have helped out Velvet as she didn't eat all of the punch and then Excalibur went further and said it could have been Velvet, with her athleticism and body control, trying to stop things as she saw that Jade was ready for her. Announcers covering a flub in a believable way that respects the crowd, gets over the strategy of pro wrestling, and protects the wrestlers, something that helps the match instead of hurting it. Novel idea, excellent announcing. Much appreciation.

It's a chicken/egg thing but I loved how into the main the crowd was and while some of that was Cole and Jungle Boy both being over, a lot of it was how they worked a classic Southern Tag. It works. It matters. It was a beautiful hot tag.

Watching this thing on a Saturday Morning is like getting to see WCW Power Hour again.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 12

There was so much funny stuff going on during Darby/Billy. 

“Bye bye, Miss American Pie!” - A Gunn boy very excitedly improvising badly to Darby after one of the floor spots. 

“I’d be making that face too.” - Someone sitting front row when the camera zoomed in on Darby’s prone body after the tope miss.

”Papa sunuvabitch!” - Jericho

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

King Ass and his Ass Children are great. I’m all in favor of the Gunn Club having occasional big storylines. Maybe they lose and Undefeated Ass becomes Vicious Ass and wrecks that goth. 

Rampage is always such a fun variety show of wrestling from week to week being so different with what is offered. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1