DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/17/2021

20 minutes ago, Matt D said:

So long as he avoids injury and AEW continues to make good, solid hirings, AND he keeps doing what he's doing now and work people in other styles outside of AEW, can you imagine what Martin will be like at 25 if this is him at 20?

His biggest downside is injury like an ACL; but give him 5 years and another 25 to 30 pounds of muscle which will come naturally.  Put him, his brother with the Acclaim - in some sort of new NOD. I am really high on the Acclaim too.  

5 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

His biggest downside is injury like an ACL; but give him 5 years and another 25 to 30 pounds of muscle which will come naturally.  Put him, his brother with the Acclaim - in some sort of new NOD. I am really high on the Acclaim too.  

Anthony Bowens really good.  Max Caster is... not as good.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Anthony Bowens really good.  Max Caster is... not as good.

Caster is good in his role as the mouthpiece/diss rapper. Bowens is very good in the ring from the little I've seen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, peterien said:

Part of me thinks Punk is burning through feuds/matches because his contract isn’t THAT long and he wants to fit as much in as he can. 

I think our brain is accustomed to the WWE style of feud which usually means 2 guys wrestling each other for 3+ months in rematch purgatory. AEW has shown they go more for the NJPW style where rematches (At least on big single's feuds) are rare or happen with very longs breaks in between.

Darby and Omega clearly said they're not done with MJF/Page but we'll revisit down the line. Same when Bryan said he and Omega will meet again at some point. I much prefer this way of doing things.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, chriskbrown50 said:

His biggest downside is injury like an ACL; but give him 5 years and another 25 to 30 pounds of muscle which will come naturally.

Found JR's account!!!  ?

GREAT SHOW!  Just some random-ass notes as always...

That opening segment was perfect.  Damn,

HOLY SHIT Nyla demolished that chair.  That was amazing.

I'm here for Shoe Talk with JR, between his harping on Yuta's shoes last week and mentioning Ishii's boots 3-4 times this week

Accountabilibuddy Spears eating a candy bar through MJF's promo was great

Excalibur has toned down a lot of his old catchphrases, which is to be expected, so I loved hearing him call Uno's chops and forearms in the corner THE VIOLENCE PARTY~!

LOL @ "When I won the title at Wrestlemania"  BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Caster calls Lio & Dante virgins and then Lio gestures about how he has three kids.  LOL

Page telling Omega he'll hold down the fort, only to have Omega tell him "I was talking to the Bucks," was just tremendous.  So Steen comes in while Kenny is away, the Elite becomes Mt. Rushmore, and babyface Kenny comes back to get 'em?

This company is not afraid to make their mainstream hot ticket babayfaces, Punk and Danielson, heelish.  Not at all.  And it's GREAT.

Damn, Butcher got svelte and cut.  Good for him!  He's embracing the fuck out of that skullet, too.

Between his size and that gear, Lio looks like an unmasked Mascarita Sagrada.

"I like turtles."

So cool to see Lethal on a real national promotion after I figured him to be a ROH lifer.  He did really well.  Now he just needs to ditch the handspring cutter and go back to the uranage backbreaker --> complete shot --> Koji Clutch (Lethal Combination).

Cabana/Danielson 10 minutes of British shit next week?  Call me a hypocrite because I despised Scurll/ZSJ at BOLA years ago, but I'd be down for it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

I know people have argued about it for two years but now that I'm more regularly watching the program, JR is a massive, massive problem. He's the biggest problem in the company. Nothing even comes close. He loses his train of thought, can't remember words, gets people mixed up, then becomes overbearing to try to get some, any relevant idea in. There's too much about strategy which is either repetitive from match to match, just annoying common sense, or doesn't even bear out in the match. I'm not saying there isn't a place for him. But him announcing every match on Dynamite is a problem. It exposes him instead of protecting him.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I don't really think we're going to see dickhead Danielson going hold for hold with anybody. People expected the same in his match last night and instead he basically just beat the dogshit out of Uno. I would expect you mostly the same thing with Cabana but then maybe runs into more trouble with somebody like John Silver who can hit really fucking hard as well.

Oh, during one of the PinP breaks, JR had one of his worst flubs yet. He basically cut everyone off and derailed the conversation between Tony and Excalibur so he could talk (at some length) about how he'd forgotten what he was going to say. It was embarrassing to listen to.

28 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I don't really think we're going to see dickhead Danielson going hold for hold with anybody. People expected the same in his match last night and instead he basically just beat the dogshit out of Uno. I would expect you mostly the same thing with Cabana but then maybe runs into more trouble with somebody like John Silver who can hit really fucking hard as well.

Best way to go. Gives even greater weight to a clean Hangman win. Final transition from talented but ill disciplined underdog to legitimate top of the card face of the company talent.

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

That was the first thing I thought when I heard that.  That was the greatest entrance music EVER.  I was like, "Oh man, are the Briscoes here?"

They were there. Only backstage though, by the sounds of it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, peterien said:

Part of me thinks Punk is burning through feuds/matches because his contract isn’t THAT long and he wants to fit as much in as he can. 

They really haven't burned through much of anything though. Omega, the Bucks, Cole, Bryan, Cody, Moxley, Black, he pretty much hasn't touched any of the people you'd want if he were gonna be out of here quick. 

The MJF feud is interesting. I don't like him, but Max tries so hard to be what Punk has been and has been a million times better than Max. Punk looking at him like he's a tiny little person ruled. CM Punk's better than Max, and he knows it. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I know people have argued about it for two years but now that I'm more regularly watching the program, JR is a massive, massive problem. He's the biggest problem in the company. Nothing even comes close. He loses his train of thought, can't remember words, gets people mixed up, then becomes overbearing to try to get some, any relevant idea in. There's too much about strategy which is either repetitive from match to match, just annoying common sense, or doesn't even bear out in the match. I'm not saying there isn't a place for him. But him announcing every match on Dynamite is a problem. It exposes him instead of protecting him.

It's a fine line to walk between supporting the story being told and not sounding like a total shill, but Ross doesn't even try.  I joke but I don't think there's a kayfabe redemption arc where Yuta buys real boots because he slipped on the ropes.  So much of Ross' commentary is about what he, Jim Ross the real person and former employee of Bill Watts and Vince McMahon, likes to see and absolutely does not like to see.  Too many times, in big examples and small, dumb examples like Yuta's shoes, Ross' personal likes and dislikes run counter to what AEW is presenting.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I agree more and more with this. And what shows it is Rampage (with a more crowded booth) flows better. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

It's a fine line to walk between supporting the story being told and not sounding like a total shill, but Ross doesn't even try.  I joke but I don't think there's a kayfabe redemption arc where Yuta buys real boots because he slipped on the ropes.  So much of Ross' commentary is about what he, Jim Ross the real person and former employee of Bill Watts and Vince McMahon, likes to see and absolutely does not like to see.  Too many times, in big examples and small, dumb examples like Yuta's shoes, Ross' personal likes and dislikes run counter to what AEW is presenting.

I know he's going through some health issues, but at this point, I think it's a crutch. He's obviously scrambling for something meaningful to say in the moment and his brain is going to pop back to his preferences and old habits. At this point, I'd say just give him main events, but I think you'd end up with the overcompensation again in that he'd try to maximize every second he had out there.

• Like 2

At the end of the day, Jim Ross secretly thinks that the WWE is the big leagues and the shit he called in NJPW and AEW is the minor league. It's really as simple as that. He doesn't care because he sees his job as slumming from the majors. He just has zero passion or interest in what he calls except for the occasional moment when he's actually invested or likes what he's seeing. 

• Like 4

Yeah, JR doesn't seem to be into the "story telling" aspect as much as he used to be I feel. He always has some weird ass line that he throws in there that just makes everything so much more... awkward? Not to mention he goes to the well one too many times - it seems like every week I hear "Sammy, Sammy, Sammy" or something about someone putting on muscle. He doesn't give me that "Tyson and Austin! Tyson and Austin" or "He killed him!" level enthusiasm or emotion for almost anything anymore. I feel like he just doesn't have the same passion that he did back in the day and I'm not going to fault him. He's worked a long career, dealt with a lot of shit, had his wife pass in a horrific car accident, but at the end of the day I just don't think Ross is invested in these guys.

Let's face it, all of those matches Ross called during his time with whomever back in the 80's, 90's, 00's, he knew all of those people personally. He had been a part of the scene for so long, but now the business has changed a lot. I bet you there are people on the roster that Ross still knows next to nothing about if they were to wrestle on Dynamite next week. Throw someone like Serpentico or Peter Avalon out there and I bet you JR has no idea what to say.

If we're being fair, I think Excalibur is the JR of AEW because he fits what I just said perfectly. He knows all of these indy guys, as well as anyone else you might think of. He's an encyclopedia of knowledge who feels invested  in the stories that are being told AND knows everyone and everything. He might be one of the most unsung MVP's of AEW, because what Excalibur brings to that table is absolutely marvelous. Schiavone does a masterful job as well, but I would say he does JR's job better than JR does.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Hagan said:

At the end of the day, Jim Ross secretly thinks that the WWE is the big leagues and the shit he called in NJPW and AEW is the minor league. It's really as simple as that. He doesn't care because he sees his job as slumming from the majors. He just has zero passion or interest in what he calls except for the occasional moment when he's actually invested or likes what he's seeing. 

This mind reading/projection stuff is so annoying because it’s so obviously untrue.

If he didn’t care he wouldn’t take the criticism from people like you so personally.

He’s a 70 year old man that has had multiple bouts of Bell’s palsy, a stroke, and currently has skin cancer (whose treatments he’s scheduled around AEW tv despite “not caring.”).

He doesn’t have his fastball but he’s obviously trying and he has moments that enhance a match more than any of his counterparts because he has more credibility.

And he has more credibility precisely because he doesn’t pretend like the rules don’t exist so a stunt can be performed, and questions what the referees are doing when they don’t enforce the rules which are blatantly violated in front of them.

The fact that maybe 90% of the roster can’t throw a good working punch which is continually exposed by the camera shots they’re using, and that the wrestlers have completely buried the refs since AEW began are all far bigger issues than JR stumbling or using a wrong name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bryan said:

This mind reading/projection stuff is so annoying because it’s so obviously untrue.

If he didn’t care he wouldn’t take the criticism from people like you so personally.

He’s a 70 year old man that has had multiple bouts of Bell’s palsy, a stroke, and currently has skin cancer (whose treatments he’s scheduled around AEW tv despite “not caring.”).

He doesn’t have his fastball but he’s obviously trying and he has moments that enhance a match more than any of his counterparts because he has more credibility.

And he has more credibility precisely because he doesn’t pretend like the rules don’t exist so a stunt can be performed, and questions what the referees are doing when they don’t enforce the rules which are blatantly violated in front of them.

The fact that maybe 90% of the roster can’t throw a good working punch which is continually exposed by the camera shots they’re using, and that the wrestlers have completely buried the refs since AEW began are all far bigger issues than JR stumbling or using a wrong name.

So I'm not as into the mind reading either. I don't think JR hates the product. I think he wants to be there. I think he wants to contribute. I think he doesn't need it to be mid-south. He wants to do his best.

I just don't think he's capable to do it at high level over a span of time anymore. Which might be even more insulting than what other people are saying, but that's my impression.

As for calling out the refs on camera? That does no one any good unless it's a specific story element of the match. If he thinks it's a problem, he should talk to Tony Khan off camera. It's his job to cover for that shit and to provide reasons, not to further expose it. Say that the action is moving too fast or that the heels are too tricky or that the ref, like any other normal human being is intimidated by the monster heel, etc. You don't bestow credibility on something by shitting on it. You do your job and lend your credibility to it. And if you have a problem doing your job because what's on screen, you take that up with your boss instead of doing the opposite of your job on live TV.

• Like 9