DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/17/2021

Happy National Cowboy Shit Day! Hot opening with Hangman/Bryan. Bryan was heeling it up bigtime and it was pretty awesome. Though I still felt like it was just for this rivalry with Hangman and then after he'll go back to being babyface. 

Loved Hangman's line about how he beat Kenny and did it under 30 minutes.

Ishii was great to see. Punk/MJF segment was an epic tease, real 'oh shit' moment and feel when Punk interrupted MJF. Very much looking forward to that feud. 

Hyped for the BIGGEST and BADDEST Guy in AEW, Billy Gunn!

Nyla/Shida is always good together. Solid finish, dug how Serena came in to play for that. 

Not a Jay Lethal fan at all, but thought he looked the best I've seen from him in many years here at least, and the match was actually quite good. Felt like a great earned victory for Guevara after a hard fought match. Excellent show. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

Why? The crowd is always noticeably more quiet for the women’s matches lately, and there’s tons of talent in the men’s division that’s already not getting enough TV time.

They were definitely into the Shida/Rose match. Those two have great chemistry together.

• Like 4

Fucking great Dynamite. Probably the best post ppv Dynamite ever. Danielson's heel turn ruled, almost every match rocked, CM Punk laughing at MJF and then walking away was awesome, and every promo was good. PLUS, King and Garcia going to bring the violence.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

You ever notice how every TNT Champion (except the best one) has done a gimmick of the constant defences wearing them down? Like, Cody did it, Darby did it, Miro did it, and now Sammy is doing it too?

And meanwhile Kenny was World Champ for 11 months and defended it 6 times. That's a good way to differentiate the titles.

I like that the TNT title (and I assume the TBS title) are on TV. Throw back to the JCP TV Title that Arn wore and defended.  The title has elevated Darby and I look to the same with Sammy.  It creates a ready made weekly high profile match - Cody set the stage for the challenges and it has really worked so well for AEW. 

Speaking of Darby, curious where they take him next. He has really had a marvelous run over the last 18 months - heck even Cornette is starting to like him some.  

MJF-Punk, yes please. 

• Like 3

Cant hear "Gimmie Back My Bullets" without thinking about The Briscoes. 

MJF has to bait Punk in, with very "Shooty" comments, Shawn Spears and eventually Wardlow before getting the big match, very slow build until the eventual Match imo. 

Bobby Fish reminds me of Owen Hart (when he was with the yellow tape and Jeff Jarrett) and i only realized that when he said "Enough is Enough" backstage. 

Ishii has a DMV line of "Dream" opponents before he heads back to NJPW.  With Okada looming behind the forbidden door, when he walks thru, whos the first opponent?  

Jay Lethal with the Black Machismo theme song tease was great stuff.  I saw insta-chemistry with Guevara from the start.

So confused, how is Lio Rush now sympathetic babyface in this scenario after "stealing" Dante Martin from Matt Sydal?

I think Bryan Danielson is being American Dragon, nothing more, nothing less.  Hes being "you have till five!" Dragon and always has been since arriving.

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Like 1

Dickhead Bryan Danielson is the best version of Bryan Danielson as seen in his reign as the Greatest ROH World Champion. Runner up is The New Daniel Bryan iteration of Bryan Danielson. Looking forward to seeing the American Dragon go through the Dark Order. Bryan Danielson is the GOAT. Can do it all.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ChrisPBacon said:

So confused, how is Lio Rush now sympathetic babyface in this scenario after "stealing" Dante Martin from Matt Sydal?

You're not the only one. Took me out of 5je match a bit as I'm trying to figure out if they want the crowd cheering Lio or not. 

Enjoyed, "cleaner, I got this" during the first Elite promo. 

Big smile plastered across my face for the opening segment and match. Danielson so effortlessly turned that crowd on him and Page is just so easy to cheer! 

Lots of effective promo work (both in ring and backstage) and I think this show really needed it following such a meaty chunk of wrestling that we were served over the weekend. Some intriguing threads laid out now, can't wait to see what comes next. 

• Like 2

Great show!  You won't find a more rabid pro wrassiin' audience than here in our beloved Commonwealth.

Cleaner, I got this.  I was talking to the Bucks.. = Awesome!

I enjoyed Danielson being the Clubber Lang of AEW and coming out to goad the champ.  Bryan Danielson is not hear to make friends, mother fuckers.  He is here to win gold.  So Evil Uno is the fourth best worker in the fed?

Tomohiro Ishii was here in Virginia and I am watching the replay on DVR and recovering from migraines.  I hate my life.

WE DON'T SAY THAT NAME ON DMD TV~!

I thought that the gigantic dude in the front row wearing the blue plaid shirt was Dean, but it was not.

Rose / Shida #1000000003 was light years better than their earlier encounters.  I like Nyla being smart and using power and a cheating manager to her advantage.  Thank God we didn't have two wins in the same night via Triangle Choke.  Standing Stretch Muffler was outstanding and going after the bad wheel that Deeb injured shows Nyla's VETERAN PRESENCE~!  I also like the idea of her keeping that move in her pocket along with the Most Dangerous Senton as an alternative finisher..   The Beast is MULTIFACETED~!

The adorable little girl talking trash to Nyla after the match is the best of all of us.  She is so awesome that they put the camera on her during MJF's vanity party.  I approve of Punk kicking the shit out of MJF in a future encounter.

Holy fuck, dude.  What an awesome tag match!  I miss Darius Martin but Lio Rush is a worthy successor to be the replacement member for Top Flight.  So, Anthony Bowens is the fourth best worker in the fed? 

Jay Lethal opens the Forbidden Door and looks better than I have seen him look in a long time.  Lethal loses, but is he also winning?  Is that sportsmanship or is it recruitment into the IC?  We shall see.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

I don't know how Lio became a babyface, but, honestly, you watch him and Dante fly around and it's hard to imagine them not being cheered anyway.

It's such a stupid cliche to immediately default to talking about a black wrestler being "athletic" but... Lio and Dante might be the most athletic tag team ever. And Rush is a hell of a mic man as well.

Bryan Danielson turned that crowd against him in one sentence. Granted, it's Page's home state, but still... And I loved the call back to The New Daniel Bryan about the leather jacket. Page firing right back bringing up that he beat Omega and did it in under thirty minutes.

Kenny leaving without having watched the match, not knowing the Bucks let it happen. And the subtle driving a wedge with Cole. Christ The Elite storyline is going to go down as the best I've ever seen in wrestling.

Putting aside issues of "hey, maybe they shouldn't have hired Jay Lethal because he might be a terrible person"... That was a hell of a match in the main event.

• Like 4

One thing that I have to give props for is the announcers. They low key were selling a title change. "It's not worth it, Sammy, think of your health" type stuff, and it made the watcher more into the match, because they thought they were about to see a title change. Then at the end, you don't care that they "worked" you because it was such a match.

edit: Please tell me they're not going to have the Gunn Club feud with Darby as a way to bring Paul Wight in.. He did say he wanted to face the biggest and baddest...

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1

Also, he's still not, like, great on the mic, but damn has Jungle Boy improved. He's worlds better than back when he did that sit down interview and struggled to get any words out of his mouth and said nothing but cliches. If Christian is mentoring him on that, it's working.

• Like 1

I feel like acknowledging Lio took time off to mourn the loss of family/Acclaimed trash-talking that/Team Taz trying to scoop Dante will be considered the catalyst of Lio's face turn.  Part of me thinks in the long run this will played off as Lio "investing" in Dante by doing things his way; with a tag title run being the payoff on that investment.  All I know is that I want to see Dante/Lio vs everyone.

• Like 4