DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/17/2021

Damn, they made Evil Uno look like a great wrestler in a six minute match, and the Bryan Danielson turn is complete in the space of 20 minutes.

Great callback with the dynamite diamond ring on MJF's hand. Great heel pro. I know I compare him to Piper all the time, but that was the most Piper-ish promo since 2010. Love the "I'm better than you, and now YOU have to admit it."

30 minutes in, and one match. Normally, that'd be WWE doing twenty five minutes or 28 minutes of talking with mostly insults for pops, but here, you had a really great match, and story beats before, during and after the match.

Ishii is granite. Love the stepping into Butcher's strikes to neutralize them.

Britt fears Thunder Rosa. I love that "We don't say her name".

Damn. That Rose through the chair bump. GNNNNNAARRRLLLY crash. That chair is going straight to the Hall of Modern Art.

I've never seen a standing Strech Plum. Holy shit that looked painful.

Business is about to pick CMPUNK Up.

And CM Punk has found the way to get under MJF's skin. Laugh at him and ignore him.

Man, Rush and Dante work together great. I thought they were teasing a split so soon with Martin selling so much and not really tagging in at a point. Nice they're doing it slow.

Billy Gunn looks about 85 in that Rampage promo shot.

Love the "...or TV time remaning" little bit.

When Sammy crashed and burned through the table, I thought for sure there was a title shot. FUCKING Awesome main event

JR was surprsingly good.

• Like 7

What a f'n roll AEW is on. I'm marking the hell out week after week, show after show, like a little kid. I'm loving this so much. Legit laughed out loud when JR talked about what a great time it is to be a wrestling fan. Agree with you 100 percent on that one, Good Ole!

Hat tip to all y'all here who callled Hangm'n playing the "I did what you couldn't do" card on Bry-Bry and Danielson running through DO on the way to his title bout. Nailed it! Never mind the wrestling, I was marking out that "we" called that!

Check out Dragon turning the crowd on himself and breaking out the "I have till 5!"

Dragon vs Hungee is gonna be hawt!

Ishii-ee and Cassidy-ee vs B and B with Hardy-ee and The Bunny-ee (calm down Gordi-ee) was everything I hoped for out of the Stone f'n Pitbull in AEW. And he and Orangey-ee were great together.

Good Lord that Virginia crowd! I felt happy thinking that our boy @DEANwas part of that!!

Just one example: the ROAR of joy when Shida got the kendo stick. Beautiful.

Kingston vs Garcia? Yes, please!

We got Malakai Black brooding in a dark room! About time!

Punk vs MJF? That is a good idea.

Darby vs Ass Man? Screw it. Let's do it.

Really setting the post-PPV table here. Showing the advantage of their massive roster with the huge variety of potential match-ups. Have no fears, we've got match-ups for years!

You can't say that here ?

Thumbtacks. It's what's for breakfast.

I liked Sammy's snazzy new ring gear.

Ending on a show of sportsmanship was cool.

• Like 6

Bryan Danielson’s heel turn just happens to coincide with the next few Dynamite shows being in places where members of the Dark Order are from (Illinois/Cabana, Georgia/Alan Angels, New York/John Silver).

• Like 18

You ever notice how every TNT Champion (except the best one) has done a gimmick of the constant defences wearing them down? Like, Cody did it, Darby did it, Miro did it, and now Sammy is doing it too?

And meanwhile Kenny was World Champ for 11 months and defended it 6 times. That's a good way to differentiate the titles.

• Like 10

Missed most of the show, but let me see if I've got this right. They have a new face champion (Hangman), and they want a heel challenger.  So in their #1 contenders' match, instead of having the heel (Miro) win, they have the face (Danielson) win and turn him heel on the next show?  Seems like a real lack of confidence in Miro.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, S.K.o.S. said:

Missed most of the show, but let me see if I've got this right. They have a new face champion (Hangman), and they want a heel challenger.  So in their #1 contenders' match, instead of having the heel (Miro) win, they have the face (Danielson) win and turn him heel on the next show?  Seems like a real lack of confidence in Miro.

That's the takeaway from that incredible opening segment?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I joke about Bryan being a babyface of course. There's no bigger heel move in AEW than expressing pride for your accomplishments in a larger wrestling promotion. 

Great fodder for Natural's GOAT thread. 

DISCOURSE LEVEL~!

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I joke about Bryan being a babyface of course. There's no bigger heel move in AEW than expressing pride for your accomplishments in a larger wrestling promotion. 

It's like getting up on the table at work at The French Laundry and bragging about how you used to manage a McDonalds.

(seriously, though: I think it's a point in AEW's favour that it isn't "against the rules" to mention WWE by name).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

You did see the giant wrap he had on his thigh in that match, right? Considering he was mostly off tv in the weeks leading up to being slotted into Moxley's spot, it wouldn't surprise me if he needs some time to heal up and they just used him because it was an emergency.

• Like 2