DVDVR Message Board

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME - 12/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Wait a min ...

If everyone who knew Peter Parker was Spiderman was coming to the MCU universe ...

... And Spider-Man #1 asks Dr. Strange to make it so everyone forgets him, under the express understanding that this will prevent other universal adversaries will stop coming to the MCU ...

Spoiler

Doesn't it stand to reason that Peter Parker Maguire and Peter Parker Garfield will be forgotten in their universes?

Well, shit.  My daughter forgot that her half-brother has some sort of award ceremony tomorrow and she has sworn me not to go see this before she does.

We'll probably go see this sometime around Christmas.  Staying unspoiled will be a full time job.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, nate said:

Wait a min ...

If everyone who knew Peter Parker was Spiderman was coming to the MCU universe ...

... And Spider-Man #1 asks Dr. Strange to make it so everyone forgets him, under the express understanding that this will prevent other universal adversaries will stop coming to the MCU ...

Hide contents

Doesn't it stand to reason that Peter Parker Maguire and Peter Parker Garfield will be forgotten in their universes?

I would assume that the spell only applied to that specific Peter, otherwise that would cause pretty significant madness in the multiverse.

Some asshole at a restaurant was loudly describing certain key scenes in the movie during lunch today, so I was glad I had already seen it.

• Like 1

How much were they trolling the fans, when Elektro was getting upset about Garfield-Parker being a white guy, and how there wasn't a black Spider-Man anywhere to be seen? Like, they know we all love Miles, and they put that in there?

7 hours ago, AxB said:

How much were they trolling the fans, when Elektro was getting upset about Garfield-Parker being a white guy, and how there wasn't a black Spider-Man anywhere to be seen? Like, they know we all love Miles, and they put that in there?

I looked at that as more of a tease that we'll get Miles soon.  The endgame for Tom Holland's Spidey has to be a passing of the torch to Miles, tbh.

Curious how people feel about it. Andrew Garfield got such a great reaction at my showing, but the Amazing Spider-Man films were that well received. I never paid much attention, but did people really like him as Spidey? It seems so. His role in this reminded me of Brandon Routh getting a second shot to play Superman to kinda redeem a film that wasn't received well.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Like 2

I think they purposefully had Andrew turn up before Tobey, so he would get the "They're really doing it!" pop. And then Tobey could get the "I liked your movies Tobey" pop. 

I'm not saying people disliked the Garfield spideys, but when Holland's Spidey was first unveiled there was a big feeling of relief that they were finally doing it right.

I’m wondering if the ending of this was a way to sort of “separate” Spiderman from the MCU? I don’t mean that he totally exists in a different universe now, but like the Avengers won’t come calling if they need help anymore. 

4 hours ago, Log said:

I’m wondering if the ending of this was a way to sort of “separate” Spiderman from the MCU? I don’t mean that he totally exists in a different universe now, but like the Avengers won’t come calling if they need help anymore. 

I can see that honestly. Narratively, it finally allows them to move him away from Stark too. I think there will be some MCU connective tissue, like having him face Kingpin at some point.

If the next couple of films don't start setting up Miles though, they are screwing up.

Who is even in The Avengers now? Steve and Hawkeye are retired, Tony and Nat are dead, Thor is off Planet and Hulk has a knackered arm. Who is left, Wanda? Bucky and new Cap?

Edited by AxB

30 minutes ago, AxB said:

Who is even in The Avengers now? Steve and Hawkeye are retired, Tony and Nat are dead, Thor is off Planet and Hulk has a knackered arm. Who is left, Wanda? Bucky and new Cap?

I don't remember this.  Did I miss a movie where this happened or was this in the last Avengers and I've forgotten?

18 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I don't remember this.  Did I miss a movie where this happened or was this in the last Avengers and I've forgotten?

His arm was injured by the stones when he  undid the blip. Bruce's arm was still in a sling in the Shang-Chi mid- of post-credits scene. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Terrifying prospect, but with a little under $600M worldwide while omicron is all over the place what are the chances someone actually takes a crack at a sequel for either Andrew or Tobey? 

Idk, I'd absolutely watch a Tobey "old man Spidey" flick.

• Like 2

So, am I the only one that has an issue with the spells?  The first spell, Strange was just going to wipe the fact that Peter was Spider-man from everythings.  So, why in the climax did Strange have to basically wipe any trace of Peter even existing outside of Spider-man from this Universe?  That seemed a bit overkill and, whilst kinda on brand for Peter's martyrdom, seemed too excessive.  Like, not even fucking Mephisto wiped Peter out of existance in the comics.

May go see this flick again this week, because as much as I enjoyed all the pops in the theater, I want to take it in with a more subdued reaction.

Keep thinking about the Tobey/Doc Ock interaction and how wholesome it was.

"How are you Peter?"

".....just tryin' to do better." ?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Going by the D+ shows, we'll have Young Avengers set up soon, so might not need the older actors as much.

In a few years, they can basically create an all-female Avengers based off the original six if they wanted.

Jane Thor, Ironheart, Captain Carter, She-Hulk, Kate Bishop and Yelena.

• Like 3