DVDVR Message Board

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME - 12/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

On 1/26/2022 at 1:56 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Electro, post-cure, tells his Peter Parker that he thought he'd be black.  And what a dream to have a black Spider-Man.   

?

I recall he said something like, "There's got to be a black Spider-Man out there somewhere, right?"

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I recall he said something like, "There's to be a black Spider-Man out there somewhere, right?"

My partner and I both said after the movie, oh that wasn't Dillon saying that, that was Jamie Foxx saying "I'm ready to Executive Produce this Disney. Call me ASAP."

I remember when the first Spider-Man was in 90s development hell between when James Cameron walked and Raimi was hired that there was buzz about Jaleel White getting the role. I can’t remember if that was stirred up by him or if there was genuine interest, but there were a couple years there where it could’ve been possible. 

16 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Electro, post-cure, tells his Peter Parker that he thought he'd be black.  

And then Peter #3 apologizes for not being a black man.  It was totally hilarious.  Andrew Garfield's delivery could not have been better.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I got a chance yesterday to see this.  We were going to see it a couple of weeks ago but the cinema had a power cut right before we went in. Sort of good timing for us I guess but that must've sucked for the people already watching something.

I know its doing very well at the box office but I was still surprised by how many people were at our screening.

I enjoyed this movie a lot. It was great seeing all the various actors appear and it had some great action but what I enjoyed most was when characters were just sort of hanging out and talking - especially the three Spideys on the statue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw this today.

That Garfield fellow sure hit all the right notes.  I didn’t even see either of his films and saving MJ as a make good for losing his Gwen still hit like a truck full of bricks.

The blood feud between Spidey and Goblin.  Very smooth transition from Tobey to Tom’s issue.

What a lovely movie.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished. More tomorrow as I read through the thread but from an execution standpoint, I thought it had a couple of amateurish moments, things that didn't quite hit or that were working too hard to get the fan service in. Garfield had a gravitas and charisma that he never had in his actual movies.

As a concept, however, I don't see why you ever have to do another Spider-Man movie. I don't know what else there is to possibly say about the character. He did the right thing even though it cost him so much, because it was the right thing, and because it was his responsibility. And this played that out to the most extreme conclusion.

That's it, it's done. Use him for fun team movies where he can make quips and play that role. Use him as a supporting character in the other stupid Sony movies they're trying to make. Do the Tobey/Dunst Mayday Parker Spider-Girl movie. Do one where Garfield is hiding under the Ben Reilly identity and trying to make amends for those punches he didn't pull. Do Miles! Do Gwen!

But I don't see what there's left to possibly say in another straightforward Peter Parker Spider-Man movie. Anything from here on in is just making one for the sake of making one, which it makes a lot of money, so fine.

Also Cox looked pretty old! Just saying.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

As a concept, however, I don't see why you ever have to do another Spider-Man movie.

I read this and my immediate thought was ,"What the hell is he talking about? That's stupid."  But, then I read further, and I have to agree.  Of course, there will be Spiderman movies as long as they make money, but from a story standpoint, you're absolutely right.  Peter really made the ultimate sacrifice at the end of this movie.  Sure, he lived, but in a way, that may be worse than giving your life for the ones you care about.  He has to keep going and knowing their history while they've completely forgotten him.  I don't know how you go bigger than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Log said:

I read this and my immediate thought was ,"What the hell is he talking about? That's stupid."  But, then I read further, and I have to agree.  Of course, there will be Spiderman movies as long as they make money, but from a story standpoint, you're absolutely right.  Peter really made the ultimate sacrifice at the end of this movie.  Sure, he lived, but in a way, that may be worse than giving your life for the ones you care about.  He has to keep going and knowing their history while they've completely forgotten him.  I don't know how you go bigger than that.

It's even more than that though.

• At first, Peter was most driven by his friends' suffering because of him. That led him to Strange.
  • Then he screwed up the spell because of his own failings (a Peter Parker thing in a post Ditko world!) but also because of the difficulties it'd cause MJ/Ned/May/Happy
  • So the villains come in. With a normal movie, he'd spend the rest of the movie trying to capture them. That's your movie. With this movie, however, he gets them quickly and even though he'd just met them and even though their creations weren't at all his fault, he still (driven by May but not just) had to help them. He had the chance to help, the power to do so, so he had to take it. Most people would feel like they had the responsibility to get them home. That's what Strange felt. Peter felt like he had to do everything he possibly could to help them, not because of anything he did but just because he had the means.
  • He tries, and he's quite naive about how he tries but that may be part of it as well. May dies.
  • And thanks to the other Spider-Men who have been there and done that, he is able to regroup and continue to try to save them. That's Peter holding up a building and not giving up in this movie. It's him taking responsibility. And he almost falters in the end because it is so much and it is so hard, but he doesn't. He needs that extra bit of help. He gets it. He manages the impossible.
  • And then he pays for it even more and has to make the ultimate sacrifice like you said. But that comes after everything that led to it. They made a movie that specifically distills the ethos of Spider-Man into two and a half hours. The Parker luck. With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility. The guilt of failing. The urge to give up. The endless resolve and ingenuity. Doing the right thing even though it's hard.

What else is there to possibly say?

• Like 6

It’s prob not possible with movies as opposed to TV, but I’d be nice if one of these wasn’t the traditional “the world will never be the same” storyline. Maybe we’ll get that with the Kraven movie, if it’s actually based on Kravens Last Hunt. 

FNCbkx9aMAE2Rdr?format=jpg&name=900x900

FNCbkYwaMAAsib-?format=jpg&name=900x900

Best look at the Spider-Man final suit designed by Ryan Meindering. Ryan Meinerding is the Head of Visual Development at Marvel Studios. Meindering has been with Marvel Studios since Iron Man (2008). Ryan Meindering is the best one there.