DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2021 - WEEK TWELVE

RIPPA

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The "not fire him for cause" is just baffling.  He hit a player a week ago.  There was a heavily sourced story in Saturday's Seattle Times that he "got physical" with another player in 2019.  How that doesn't add up to "for cause" is beyond me.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And Butch Davis is out at FIU

It is unclear if he is coaching the last two games but since he is ranting that the school is sabotaging the program - I highly doubt it

More like Bitch Davis!  Amirightherefolx...

Ugh...

Well, Miami just fired their AD Blake James.  And Canes twitter is now firmly divided into two camps.  "Bring Back Butch!" and "Come Home Coach O!"  Going home next week is going to be... fun.  

I think the early signing window kind of swings a lot of these firing decisions that includes the extra buyout.

Many of these schools need to shift that 12/1 date for the buyout lowering to 11/1 when factoring that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

When you don't have to pay the workforce,  you can throw away millions of dollars. 

It's not even about paying the players, Michigan State gave Mark Dantonio $4.3 million right before he "retired" then gave Mel Tucker $2.4 million to help buy him out of his Colorado contract, now Michigan State is asking faculty to work in the Dining Halls due to staff shortages. They had $7 million to give to football coaches but somehow can't find the money to pay Dining Hall workers a few more bucks an hour, sure the Athletic Department money is separate but it's insane that a public university flushes money down the toilet on glorified gym teachers but can't pay it's facilities workers a decent wage.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

It's not even about paying the players, Michigan State gave Mark Dantonio $4.3 million right before he "retired" then gave Mel Tucker $2.4 million to help buy him out of his Colorado contract, now Michigan State is asking faculty to work in the Dining Halls due to staff shortages. They had $7 million to give to football coaches but somehow can't find the money to pay Dining Hall workers a few more bucks an hour, sure the Athletic Department money is separate but it's insane that a public university flushes money down the toilet on glorified gym teachers but can't pay it's facilities workers a decent wage.

The amount of bullshit charges that you accumulated in college,  everybody should be getting paid. They literally price gouge on everything.

• Like 1

Both of the schools I went to average about $140 million in football revenue per year (granted, they're the highest two).  Major professional sports typically spend about 45-50% of their revenue in salaries.  That'd be a bunch of money going to the players if the schools paid out even half that.

Also, don't think I saw this here.  Kinda interesting (by ESPN standards anyway) read on paying off fired coaches

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/32355679/dead-money

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I thought this was an interesting thread about the root cause of so many coach firings being teams having wildly unrealistic expectations about their performance

There are not 10 schools in the United States that should have any expectations that cause a university to buy out a coach. The schools that should have those expectations don't buy out their coaches... because they're always good.  If Alabama or Ohio State don't think their coach is performing,  I get it if they buy him out.  They have every expectation that they should be good. I wouldn't even put Clemson on the list,  Clemson hasn't been good for a whole decade yet. There isn't that much evidence that Dabo is more than pretty good without Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence. Before he got there,  they didn't have any business expecting a damn thing. 

• Like 2

As someone that roots for a school that used to be in that group of teams that can expect things, but has clearly dropped out of it the last two decades... Everyone there still thinks Michigan should be winning conference titles regularly and have at least one national title in the last six years.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

As someone that roots for a school that used to be in that group of teams that can expect things, but has clearly dropped out of it the last two decades... Everyone there still thinks Michigan should be winning conference titles regularly and have at least one national title in the last six years.

I've said it many times,  if Ohio State can't win any more just recruiting Ohio,  Michigan has no reason to believe that they'll ever be good again. The Ohio State/ Michigan rivalry is based on the fact that Ohio produced enough great football players to populate both teams. 

9 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hello from Austin, Texas, where it's basically the same.

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Hello from Austin, Texas, where it's basically the same.

Completely different. If Texas would get it if their own way,  they'd have every reason to have expectations. They just are more committed to their own bullshit than winning. They are the school that matters in one of the 3 biggest football player producing states,  and can't recruit locally. That is 100% an institutional failure. Mack Brown's goofy ass won at Texas, none of these other assholes (and most of them have been assholes) have any excuse. Seriously, Oklahoma is the Michigan to Texas' Ohio State,  and Oklahoma has no issue recruiting. Seriously, if you had a choice to spend the next 4 years in Austin,  Texas or Norman, Oklahoma, why the hell would you go to Oklahoma? That sales pitch can't be that good,  unless Texas' is that bad. 

Finding the stones to tell the old boosters to sit and spin, and then dropping the song would be a strong start.

And very true on Michigan. They were a national level recruiter back when that meant "mostly local talent with a handful of guys from California, Florida, or Texas" but they were always built around mostly Michigan and Northern Ohio players.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, supremebve said:

Completely different. If Texas would get it if their own way,  they'd have every reason to have expectations. They just are more committed to their own bullshit than winning. They are the school that matters in one of the 3 biggest football player producing states,  and can't recruit locally. That is 100% an institutional failure. Mack Brown's goofy ass won at Texas, none of these other assholes (and most of them have been assholes) have any excuse. Seriously, Oklahoma is the Michigan to Texas' Ohio State,  and Oklahoma has no issue recruiting. Seriously, if you had a choice to spend the next 4 years in Austin,  Texas or Norman, Oklahoma, why the hell would you go to Oklahoma? That sales pitch can't be that good,  unless Texas' is that bad. 

OU pays more, and wins more. UT is stuck in a vicious cycle where we're selling a vision that we're not fulfilling. And yeah, Herman is a huge asshole with substance abuse issues, I wanted Matt Campbell then but Herman had already hoodwinked a bunch of big money Houston guys.

Mack won 10+ games regularly, but also lost too much to OU and thus didn't win enough Big 12 Championships. Of course, we didn't know how good we had it...

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Finding the stones to tell the old boosters to sit and spin, and then dropping the song would be a strong start.

And very true on Michigan. They were a national level recruiter back when that meant "mostly local talent with a handful of guys from California, Florida, or Texas" but they were always built around mostly Michigan and Northern Ohio players.

The young boosters are ready to drop bags for sure, and the old boosters don't want to play that way, and they also don't understand how to use the new NIL "rules" (and I use that word lightly and ironically). I think the song is largely a non-issue for the recruits, although it can definitely be used as a negative recruiting pitch by some schools.

2 minutes ago, JLowe said:

The young boosters are ready to drop bags for sure, and the old boosters don't want to play that way, and they also don't understand how to use the new NIL "rules" (and I use that word lightly and ironically). I think the song is largely a non-issue for the recruits, although it can definitely be used as a negative recruiting pitch by some schools.

I can't speak for all black people, but if you think that a bunch of white people insisting they sing a racist song isn't a factor,  you are lying to yourself. It's not enough that they want to sing the song,  they insist that the team sings the song.  That shit ain't going to fly with most black people.  It's not like these kids don't have options, Texas is a big enough school that if they're recruiting you,  you have a bunch of other schools recruiting you. 

Seriously,  Texas has the greatest recruiting base in the entire country.  Ohio State is the closest situation to Texas.  The biggest school in a state that produces football players, that means more to the people in the state than any other program. No other team in the state competes with them for talent. Cincinnati is good this year,  I'd be willing to bet that there isn't a single player on that team that Ohio State wanted. No 18 year old in Ohio grew up wanting to play for Cincinnati,  if they could have gone to Ohio State,  that's where they'd be.  There is no reason whatsoever that Texas shouldn't be in that same position. Texas is just too committed to their "traditions," most of which alienate young black kids, who are going to make up the vast majority of a college football team. 

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

As someone who lives in the state but doesn't care about either team, I'm always baffled by Michigan fans thinking they should be a National Championship contender every season and win one every few years. Michigan had never been that team, they fell ass backwards into a split National Championship in 1997 and that was their first legit claim to one since 1948, most seasons from 1969 on were lose a non-conference game, lose a conference game, then play Ohio State for the trip to the Rose Bowl. They should still be a team in the conference title hunt every season though, yeah getting past Ohio State is rough but the Buckeyes aren't that much better to where its not even a contest anymore, that's all on the admin for sticking with Carr way to long, hiring Rodriguez getting buyers remorse the next day and then bringing in Hoke purely due to him being a "Michigan Man", on paper Harbaugh was a smart hire but he's not the answer and if they were smart they'd let him go.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, supremebve said:

Oddly enough, I think making that exact assumption is a large part of Texas' problem.  They assume that the place (both school and city) will recruit itself.  I'm sure that works in some cases, but they've got decades of evidence that it doesn't work in general staring them in the face.  18 year old kids make decisions for a lot of different reasons, and those reasons aren't necessarily the ones think they are.  Football specific reasons just make those decisions more complicated.  Even when they're good, a lot of Texas kids don't want to go to school in Austin.  A lot of Dallas kids' first choice has always been OU.  Same with Houston and all of east Texas with A&M and LSU.  Then there are some who just want to go further abroad.  Used to be those guys ended up at Florida schools.  Now it's Alabama/OSU/Clemson.

I have a good friend from high school who was a multi year starter at Texas in the early 90s, and I spent a fair amount of time around some of his teammates while I was in school.  Another guy I graduated with was a multi year starter at A&M.  My wife, and several friends, worked for Texas' football team while we were in grad school there in the late 90s/early 2000s.  I got to know a bunch of the players then, and became friends with a few of them.  Periodically, recruitment stories would come up - usually the crazy stuff they saw in the process, but occasionally the reasons why they went where they went.  Not once did any of them mention the city in their reasons.  Oddly enough, the only constant that all of the guys that went to Texas mentioned was their reason NOT to go to A&M, which was that RC Slocum was the worst negative recruiter they ever encountered.  

I grew up in Austin and have lived here almost my entire life.  The start of my awareness of college football pretty much coincides with the end of Darrell Royal's career and the beginning of Fred Akers' tenure here, in the mid to late 70s.  So I've been here for seven Texas coaches, covering a span of 45 years

Fred Akers (10 years) - had a couple of really good teams - having Earl Campbell didn't hurt - but never could win the big one.  Only won two bowl games in 11 years.  Was guilty of not being Darrell Royal.  Pretty mediocre the last few years.  I was there for his last game. The "Fire Fred!" chants were amazing.  

David McWilliams (5 years)- Was a good ol' boy, but not much else.  Will say his players loved him, but I don't think anybody else did.  Lost to a terrible Baylor team by 40+ points.  Had that one good year.  Dolfan can tell you how THAT worked out in the end.  I was there for his last game too.

John Mackovic (6 years) - Amazed he lasted six freaking years.  Texas fans HATED this guy, because he wasn't a good ol' boy raised from birth by Darrell Royal.  Had one good year, mainly because he had Ricky Williams at RB.

Mack Brown (15 years) - This is where Texas fans got confused, or maybe spoiled.  They thought of this guy's success as the baseline, when post Royal it's really the anomaly.  Ran him out of town when his last few teams didn't match his earlier success.  Thought they were gonna get Saban to replace him.  Oops.

Charlie Strong (3 years) - Yeah, they got this guy instead.  Didn't bring Teddy Bridgewater with him.  Never had a winning record in any season.  Lost to Kansas.  Made Bret Bielema aroused.

Tom Herman (4 years) - Better than Strong, at least.  Insisted on losing to Maryland, for some reason.  Somehow got a Sugar Bowl win with a four loss team, which I guess was the highlight of his time.  Thought they were gonna get Urban Meyer to replace him.  Oops again.

Steve Sarkisian (I guess he'll make it through the year?) - Looked good at the start.  Stumbled into two absolute stars at offensive skill positions.  Had his team at 4-1, and had a 21 point first quarter lead on OU.  Now he's 4-6, he lost to Kansas, his best player is out for the year, and his best recruiter's stripper wife's emotional support monkey bit a kid on Halloween.

Two of those guys were successful, in general (yeah, I'm counting Akers here).  One of those two won a national championship by the skin of his teeth with the best college football player I've ever seen.  The other missed winning one just as narrowly.  The rest are somewhere between decent and awful, and have about win percentage that works out to just about exactly a 6-5 record between em.  Texas will probably be a top team at some point.  But it's not as simple as just getting a guy who doesn't suck. They're gonna have to find a special coach to get them back there, just like they did with Brown.  He may not have been the greatest coach, but he instantly took their recruiting to a place it hadn't been in at least 15 years, and where it hasn't been since he left.

7 minutes ago, Robert C said:

....and his best recruiter's stripper wife's emotional support monkey bit a kid on Halloween.

I was sure this was a joke that I wasn't getting.  Then I googled it.  

It's apparently very real.  LOl, poor Sarkisian.  When it rains, it pours.  I mean, I don't have a lot of sympathy.  He's got a decent resume as a coach, but P.T. Barnum probably rolled over in his grave when Sarkisian invoked the American Disabilities Act in his lawsuit against USC.  I expect any good coach or recruiter to be a bit of a huckster, but there are limits to how much carnying I'm willing to overlook.