DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/10/2021

The Natural

Yeah, start to finish an excellent episode of Dynamite. That Omega and Hangmin contract signing probably would've worked better without the Callis stuff but the visual of the blood and contract was cool and I'm glad Callis is back. Ibushi reference immediately garners my praise. 

Dax and Pac was so God damn great. The Lio tag was full of jaw dropping spots. Hayter is the best women's base I've seen unless I'm missing somebody. She jumps and then takes a shoulder and head bump every time. Rosa clearly looking out for her afterwards. Those two are perhaps the two best in ring talents they have on the women's side and I'm so excited for their match. Give them 13-15. 

Rampage looking a bit light. If we are getting a Punk/King segment they should've announced it. As is, I'll try my best to watch it before Full Gear but Saturday is busy. 

• Like 3

All the bouts with post-match interference where nobody except Christian and Luchasaurus tried to intervene was dumb. But I'm being so goddamn generous I'll give them my head-cannon that resources were stretched thin all night as those bodies were required to keep the Punk-Kingston situation from boiling over. 

It's fun to watch Bryan Danielson literally just go. He is literally goes out each time and just turns out great matches. Tonight was another one. Only wish it could have been longer. The Kingston-Punk part was actually really ok - that match has been set. Loved the end with Callis - it was really strong and again made sense. Bobby Fish - man that booking can go some many places. Dax tapping out real quick - made sense and fit the story. I think having booking, while not perfect, but that makes sense and follows a some sort of logic is refreshing.  

• Like 7

We really got the best and the worst of JR today!

Great: The Black Tiger call during the Bryan vs Rocky match, talking about how much PAC and Dax love wrestling, talking about Hangman going to the gym instead of to happy hour..

Bad: "I am going kicking and screaming into the future" followed by complaining about guys wrestling in "tennis shoes" and "that'll be on social media in thirty minutes"

Not to mention: "Brazilian judo." I guess there is judo in Brazil, but...

The worst: If I were making my living as a pro wrestler, I'd probably get on the gas for aesthetic and injury recovery reasons. And, sure, guys in their early 20s still have room to grow, physically... but knowing JR's background it creeps me out hearing JR talk about guys needing to fill out.

I think Miro is sufficiently filled out.

LOVED Bryan vs Rocky.

I think Lambert was genuinely marking out after putting Jericho through the table. Understandably so. I bet that's a lot of fun.

I popped for "Championship Wrestling from Florida" and " It's called a Boston Crab!! "

Can't deny that the crowd was hot for that segment.

Nifty DDT variation from Bowens.

When is a Fish not a fish?

Spoiler

When it's a reDRagon

Dug Tay and friend's matching ring gear. And the cross body to Hayter on the floor.

Did Ex say Britt was facing Thunder Rosa at the PPV?

It's amazing, but not surprising, that Punk v King is already the hottest program in the company! (in all of pro wrestling)? I'm hoping they go full on Hero v Kingston on each other.

I'm surprised they went with a straight up Wardlow squash. 

Best Friends in CHAOS!!

The tag match was what people think "AEW style" is, but it was the only match on the show worked that way.

Main event was also maximalist pro wrestling, but very much a contrast to the tag match.

I wonder if those huge Brainbusters were meant as a tribute to Arn and Tully?

Great go-home Dynamite and Rampage is gonna be hawt, too.

I don't think I'd like FTR's theme at all, out of context... but in context I mark out like Pavlov's frothing dogs every time I hear it.

I didn't think it was possible to be MORE hyped up for Full Gear... but here we are.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 4

The Wardlow squash was the only thing that was a bit of a head-scratcher in an otherwise solid show, but I could see it leading to future stuff so I'm down for it. 

This show was so good that I almost don't give a shit about Rampage - which will be preceded by Rampage this week! ?

On paper this show didn't interest me all that much, but then it really went places.

When you've got guys who work in tag matches 95% of the time you don't really expect them to win a singles match or expect them to excel in those types of outings. Dax looked as good as any singles guy on the roster in there with Pac and the match was fantastic. That avalanche brainbuster was brutal and those guys really put it all out there. I was expecting to get an 8 man tag match with the way the afterbirth went, but it looks like there's a tag match added to Full Gear because of course Cody has to wrestle on there.

I'm a fan of all the guys in the Moriarty/Sydal vs Rush/Martin match and that was a damn fine indy spotfest. In those sorts of matches you expect at least one iffy spot or two, but these guys all delivered flawlessly. I await the eventual trios match when Darius finishes healing up.

Contract signings are one of those things that really need a moratorium in wrestling. This one wasn't too overdone though.

• Like 2

Great show again. Really loved the Lio/Dante v. Sydal/Lee tag, awesome stuff from all involved. Women's tag was short but fun, I like both sides as trios. 

Pac/Dax ruled along with the post-match chaos. Glad we get the tag added to the PPV. Excellent effective closing segment. Saw the cameraman bit coming, wondering why he was awkwardly in there like that, but the contract in blood was great. Looking forward to an epic one at Full Gear, stacked lineup. 

• Like 3

Everything about AEW just has an added layer of realism to it...   Eddie's sprint around the cars and a beeline towards Punk was straight out of a NYC nightclub lot at 2am.  

Omega and Hangman's promos about friendship felt like they came from the heart and meant something...     really good shit.   

• Like 8

Some woman in the front row was really getting into it with The Acclaimed during the picture in picture. Bowens and Caster both seemed legit angry at her. I think she might have used some language she really shouldn't have.

Other than that, greatest Wrestling TV show of the year, I'd say. Lee and Sydal vs Lio and Dante was just incredible.

MAN!  That was awesome.  So PAC is the best wrestler in AEW?  That toprope brainbuster was fucking balls out.  What the fuck was Tony talking about?  OF COURSE DAX took the worst of that.  Leo Rush looked fucking great.  The women's division is all about the tag and trios matches and tonight's was great, Jamie Hayter beating the dogshit out of Anna J was as awesome as her getting crushed by Thunder Rosa.  So much more.  God, one could almost forget that Brian fucking Danielson wrestled on this.  I was hoping this will lead to PAC vs Malakai Black.  Either way, WAY TO GO, AEW

• Like 15

Go-home Dynamites don’t usually go this hard in the ring. Some of it seemed…maybe…ill-advised (not sure why Dax needed to die three days before a big tag title match), but it was a great show, up and down the card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

Love the foreshadowing of the camera guy being a bit off with his placements and wiring leading to the ah-ha! moment of the attack.

Low key brilliant staging with that whole thing. I think Kenny (and that was 100% a Kenny detail) doesn’t get enough credit for his aptitude for visual storytelling.

• Like 3

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

As much FTR in tags and singles as humanly possible from now on please Tony. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

Haven't watched the whole show or really even read this entire thread yet, just wanted to say it was cool as hell to see Rocky Romero popping in to wrestle Danielson. Rocky's a good vet who can absolutely still go despite taking a bit of a backseat in recent years, and I loved all the history that got discussed during the match.

And the commentators pretty much said this exact thing about this discussion, but them having the freedom to discuss other companies and wrestlers is still so refreshing to me. For JR to be able to say on-air that Kazuchika Okada - a guy not employed by AEW - is a top five wrestler in the world (thereby passing up many AEW competitors JR is getting paid to hype up) still feels unusual to someone raised on a majority-WWE diet. I remember WWE using the phrase "IWGP champion" to describe AJ Styles when he joined up was unexpected, but they would never go as far as AEW is in acknowledging that great pro wrestling happens elsewhere, too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teflon Turtle said:

Haven't watched the whole show or really even read this entire thread yet, just wanted to say it was cool as hell to see Rocky Romero popping in to wrestle Danielson. Rocky's a good vet who can absolutely still go despite taking a bit of a backseat in recent years, and I loved all the history that got discussed during the match.

And the commentators pretty much said this exact thing about this discussion, but them having the freedom to discuss other companies and wrestlers is still so refreshing to me. For JR to be able to say on-air that Kazuchika Okada - a guy not employed by AEW - is a top five wrestler in the world (thereby passing up many AEW competitors JR is getting paid to hype up) still feels unusual to someone raised on a majority-WWE diet. I remember WWE using the phrase "IWGP champion" to describe AJ Styles when he joined up was unexpected, but they would never go as far as AEW is in acknowledging that great pro wrestling happens elsewhere, too.

The forbidden door has been refreshing. Companies working together. AEW with NJPW, IMPACT, GCW and NWA Powerrr.

• Like 1

Schiavone still seems to get a bit mixed up sometimes, and think that IWGP is another company, and not just the name of NJPW's titles.

• Like 1