DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 11/05/2021

6 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Loved Punk and Kingston both toeing the line and saying shit that might rub the audience the wrong way but would be said if these two really hated one another. Keep presenting Punk like this. 

One of the big peeks behind the curtain Punk’s given since coming back has been that Eddie was offering him reassurance prior to his return. We know these two don’t really feel this way about one another. Imagine the power this kind of segment will have when it’s Punk speaking uncomfortable “truths” eye to eye with Cody Rhodes or Kenny Omega.

This is the model.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Gordberg said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Oh GODDAMIT, GORDBERG!

What a GREAT pull apart.  What a great instant angle. Great great great.  So Danielson is just automatically going to have four star matches with everyone on the roster,  I await American Dragon/Pretty Pete Avalon.  Adam Cole is so good.  I accept the goofiness of this feud because the matches have been awesome.  The problem is that Silver/Cole seems much more important now that Jungle Boy/Cole.  The Bunny and Red Velvet was perfectly fine.  It's amazing how one hour of wrestling is kind of the perfect length when done like this.  HUZZAH, AEW!  YOU'VE KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE PARK AGAIN!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Great show, just let D-Bry rip it up every Friday and I'll be a happy man. Not the biggest fan of Cole in general (the wrestler - Chugs is fucking awesome) but that main did pull me in. And echoing Punk and Kingston top 5 Rampage segment to-date.

Caster's Johnny Ace line, the commentary team's reaction then Max's mugging for the camera was all fun too. Can't go wrong investing an hour with Rampage recently.

• Like 2

That Punk and Eddie segment. Holy shit. That's like when two of your good friends who don't get along finally start talking mad shit at each other at the party and it's all really deep cuts. Then you're just standing there thinking, fuck, I don't want my friends to fight, but I'm not the one to stop them.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

That's a great description, Craig.  It really felt like two guys with long-standing issues finally coming to a head instead of a wrestling promo.  And that rules.  I was pleasantly surprised how mixed the crowd reaction was.  Eddie got some good pops even though the crowd was mostly pro-Punk.

I like to imagine Colt Cabana backstage nodding serenely during Eddie's bits.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

You know who is loving Kingston & Punk tearing each other to shreds, more than anyone? Their old nemesis Chris Hero.

Loving Punk v Eddie.

If this feud lasts past Full Gear you could have a super Spicy Pick your Poison: Kingston picks Colt to face Punk & Punk in response picks Hero. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Quick thoughts:

Danielson/Bowens felt a little more like a WWE Danielson match to me, first time I can say that in this run. He wasn't as hyper aggressive and was letting Bowens have a more methodological pace and get his stuff in. I imagine that was on purpose to give him shine and to work with him. The coolest bit was the kick to block the suplex right into the cross arm-breaker. Acclaimed seem to have their biggest issues with their timing and tandem stuff so Bowens looked pretty good here.

Most important thing with the Kingston/Punk pullapart was the suddenness of the headbutt and the way the fans kept popping every time one guy broke away to attack. The latter's not something we've seen in I don't know how long. I thought Kingston was stronger in the segment in general as Punk seemed to get the order of what he was trying to say misplaced once or twice. The Dark/Elevation line was good but it never really answered the question on why they couldn't just wrestle on Dynamite or fight that night, etc, other than Punk giving the crowd what they wanted. I think his mistake there was acknowledging the Full Gear chants on Wednesday maybe? Speaking of getting things mixed up, this is the most mixed up I've ever heard Excalibur.

Bunny vs Velvet was ok. I would have liked some more heat after the curb stomp onto the stairs, another minute or two of Bunny in control there. The finish was sudden and based off of a finisher reversal instead of anything more substantial and that gave things a little bit of a Queen's Crown qualifier match feel to me.

Cole vs Silver: Overall good. I feel a little weird watching a concussion-based narrative in a match in 2021. Selling is selling and Cole did a good job with it and it explained the hierarchy difference and how Silver was able to control so much of the match, but it also felt a little icky and wrong, maybe? A place that maybe you can go if the situation warrants but maybe you shouldn't go for a random singles match against John Silver on a random Rampage? I liked Cole using a headlock to try to ground Silver as a way to just try to stop the match since he was reeling so much. I thought the finishing stretch was good, but a bit too much. I would have probably been happier with the low blow working and that being the match. It would have felt more appropriate, would have, in some ways, protected Silver more than him blocking it, stopping the Sunrise, and STILL not being able to win, and frankly, the catch of a low blow like that is a REALLY novel spot. It's not something we've seen year after year in match after match. I can't remember seeing it too many times in my life. You don't use that novel a spot in this situation if the face isn't going to win. Save it.

• Like 3